No LGBT+ Representation In WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 26 Next
Besides, wow has a gay couple in Koltira and Thassarian. Let's not forget Tholo and Anren on the Molten Front. Then there's Marcus the pally who is essentially a pan sexual who bangs anything and everything.
1. You hurt a specific group by treating them as token characters in order to meet a forced social status quo. Let it happen naturally.

2. Video games are a form of art. Artists have the freedom of conscience and expression. If they don't feel inspired to add a someone of your desired sexuality in, then you can't force them. You can take your money somewhere else.

3. WoW is one of the last games that still holds to traditional social norms which, to me, is refreshing to see and play. WoW has been operating like this for over 14 years. To suddenly include a gay person or transgender just doesn't feel right nor does it seem to fit in the world's style.

4. This isn't Tumblr.
No one cares, you're not special.
10/17/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Nafashu
I mean, if we want to get technical.

All the forsaken are genderless. Sure they have characteristics but they are unable to procreate, they also refer to the ability to just slap on random body parts to replace damaged ones or just "because".

They obviously do have genders, since they still identify themselves as either male or female. I think it's probably more apt to call the Undead asexual, since procreation isn't much of a concern for them.
10/17/2018 04:34 PMPosted by Daltorax
10/17/2018 04:30 PMPosted by Meenah

They're animals though, we're above being simple minded animals who can't see what's right and wrong and homoseuxality is wrong. It's a primitive behavior.
No matter how much you complain you're not getting your LGBT/Minority Liberal nonsense in this game in any sort of important capacity.

What exactly is wrong about homosexuality?

Typically you want to continue the species through propagation via sexual reproduction. Homosexuality is counter-intuitive to this. Barring some cataclysmic event, humans aren't lacking in population so it's kind of moot for the time being.
you may also notice that there is no representation

of anyone belonging to a culture

in which homosexual behavior is considered aberrant or immoral
Keep your personal politics out of my games.
The real reason Blizzard has to keep anything LGBT on the back burner is because they operate internationally. It could potentially get them barred from doing business in most of Eastern Europe, the Middle East, most of Asia, Russia, and possibly China and Taiwan as well as potentially parts of Latin America (including Central America) where the laws vary considerably.

They already have to trend lightly on a number of taboo subjects and in fact have to significantly alter the Chinese version of the game to conform to their laws.

However a compromise of sorts is that they officially welcome players of all sexual and gender identities, allow them to express themselves openly in game, organize events for LGBT awareness such as the Troll Run, and in theory take action against people who use slurs or harrass those individuals.
10/17/2018 04:49 PMPosted by Aigeiros
you may also notice that there is no representation

of anyone belonging to a culture

in which homosexual behavior is considered aberrant or immoral

They just sidestep the entire thing by representing neither side for business reasons.
10/17/2018 04:23 PMPosted by Meenah
10/17/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Tymberlea

Yes and it always has been. Or did you miss the forum thread two or three days ago from the woman who met her fiancé in WoW and now they are getting married?

We literally see that, or other public declarations of heterosexuality, all the time on Forums, in game chat, everywhere. And you don't notice, because it is normalized, see?

Everywhere, all the time. It's pervasive. It is continuously present subtext, and because it's straight, it's unquestioned that everyone is going to be happy to hear about it.

If it's not straight, people will say "why do you have to make it such a big deal?"

We didn't decide it's a big deal, You did. That's why we hear about it all the time. That's how we know Jaina and Arthas had a thing, and Kael was into Jaina but not the other way around. It is in our face every day all the time.

But oh, no! The Gay! Think of the children!

Want to know who has the issues? Look in the mirror. Kay?

Homosexuality isn't normal, it's not natural, it will never be natural.

Inb4 "ya but when simba gets bored he and his bros have some bro time".

Think about it, for all of human history there has been problems for people who are born that way or turned by terrible circumstances. Who would given the choice at birth choose that life? No one. Why no one wants to talk about finding a cure for a mental illness is beyond me.

I guess its because mental illness in almost all of its forms is a taboo subject. I get it, my brother is clinically insane, all of his old friends try to pretend that he doesn't exist. Because its too hard to deal with reality.

Sometimes our wires just don't get all connected right and that is the sad reality of the world. Do I think people should be persecuted for it? Of course not, but we also should not be shouting at the rooftops that it is a great thing and something to be proud of. Should we be sending psychopaths into our schools to promote the awesome benefits of that particular quirk?
Do we have to have this same thread every two weeks?

Its in the game, look a bit harder, stop trying to push an agenda
To OP:

This is a fantasy video game.

Please keep your real-word issues out of it.

Thank you.
10/17/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Vornuus
10/17/2018 04:34 PMPosted by Daltorax

What exactly is wrong about homosexuality?

Typically you want to continue the species through propagation via sexual reproduction. Homosexuality is counter-intuitive to this. Barring some cataclysmic event, humans aren't lacking in population so it's kind of moot for the time being.

Straight couples that do not have kids are wrong too then?
I think people like the OP are looking at games wrong. Every character is nebulously bisexual until they need to produce offspring to further the narrative, then they become straight unless the writers want to introduce an element of infidelity to spice it up. There are only a handful of known couples in Warcraft, and a few others that exist only as historical elements with one parent, usually the mother, retconned in ex post facto to flesh out the family tree.
10/17/2018 04:54 PMPosted by Daltorax
10/17/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Vornuus

They are doing a disservice to their genetic forebears, so yes.
10/17/2018 01:51 PMPosted by Parallaxa
I still have yet to see LGBT+ representation in this game.

No characters to represent this part of the world community is a travesty. More and more games are starting to allow this kind of representation, but Blizzard has not.

As a game that seems to be increasing in tolerance, why not do this? I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I really think you should listen to your customers.

We want several things done with the game and I think this is one of those things. As you will see in the remainder of the thread, plenty of people will share my ideals and support me.

Thank you for reading!

Have...have you ever played a male Blood Elf?
10/17/2018 04:56 PMPosted by Vornuus
10/17/2018 04:54 PMPosted by Daltorax

Why is it a disservice?
There is no need. It has nothing to do with ideals, it’s a game not political platform.

I think it’s great all people are getting some attention to their causes but we don’t need gaming to become a political battleground.

Enjoy the game as it comes please and keep personal politics out of it.
10/17/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Daltorax
10/17/2018 04:56 PMPosted by Vornuus

Why is it a disservice?

No, reason misery loves company. That is phrase used by parents to attempt to shame people into having kids even if it just isn’t for them.

Don’t fall for it being and ain’t or uncle is way better, it’s like being a grand parent without going thru through trouble of having kids. :)
10/17/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Geofferson
Most of the NPCs in WoW don't have a specified sexual preference.

I am a member of the LGBTQ+ community and I don't understand why we need an official statement from Blizzard about who is f**king who.

I have no idea who Anduin is screwing.
I have no idea who Saurfang is screwing, sure he has a son but lots of gay men have kids.
I have no idea who Mekkatorque is screwing.
I have no idea who Lor'themar's screwing.
I have no idea who Liadrin's screwing.
I have no idea who Gallywix's screwing.
I have no idea who Taelia's screwing.
I have no idea who Calia's screwing.

I don't see how Blizzard making a blue post saying that Taelia and Calia are sleeping together makes Blizzard woke. If anything it will make DeviantArt blow up with some crazy stuff.

Blizzard making a Blue post about Zappyboi and Saurfang running away together to settle down after professing their gay romance wouldn't be seen as Blizzard being "woke".

Warcraft isn't a Romance Simulator. If you want that there are a ton of JRPGs that are all about that. Which NPC's are gay really isn't important to WoW.

Thank you! awesome respect for this post.

It's so funny all of my gay friends say something similar to this.....but forums Trolls who aren't actually gay keeps stirring the pot on the forums and at Blizzcon....I wish Blizzard would actually realize this.