No LGBT+ Representation In WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 24 25 26 Next
10/17/2018 01:51 PMPosted by Parallaxa
I still have yet to see LGBT+ representation in this game.

No characters to represent this part of the world community is a travesty. More and more games are starting to allow this kind of representation, but Blizzard has not.

As a game that seems to be increasing in tolerance, why not do this? I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I really think you should listen to your customers.

We want several things done with the game and I think this is one of those things. As you will see in the remainder of the thread, plenty of people will share my ideals and support me.

Thank you for reading!

1. this is a game, not reality.
2. still a game.
3. its so not important. Personally sure add them, but do you really want Blizzard.. BLIZZARD! and their wonderful writers to start interpreting how that NPC(s) should act?
And this is why privately, no one welcomes LGBT+POFDSJOFJDLFHSDF activism.
It's always drama wherever they go.
Need some LGBT pesticide on this one.

Assuming there are 10,000 gender/sexual variants in your gender fantasy, accomodating how many out of that 10,000 would be considered fair?

What about those that got left out if you picked the others, how is that fair?

How do you justify your choices?

Does that mean some are better than others?
10/17/2018 11:24 PMPosted by Tødo
When it comes to the whole lgbt representation in media thing.. 99 times out of 100 it is done specifically to pander to a political agenda. And its almost always done badly. Its almost always blatantly obvious it had no passion behind it. Its demeaning and insulting for people to be forcefully reminded about inclusion and diversity.

This is patently false.

This is an extremely long list but let us just start in the 2000's these all have either had main characters or supporting LGBTQ+ Characters

The Ellen Show
Fllen Degeneres Talk Show
Frank Herbert's "Dune" Not a very nice character but who says we have to be nice?
Queer as Folk (Showtime)
Dark Angel (Fox)
South Park (The Comedy Channel)
24 (Fox)
Firefly (Fox)
The Shield (FX)
The Wire (HBO)
Angels in America (HBO)
Nip/Tuck (FX)
The OC (Fox)
House (Fox)
Desperate Housewives (ABC)
Rescue Me (FX)
Battlestar Gallactica (Sci Fi Channel)
The L Word (Showtime)
Lost (ABC)
Deadwood (HBO)
The Book of Daniel (NBC)
Will and Grace (NBC)
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (NBC)
Supernatural (The WB)
Doctor Who (BBC)
Bones (Fox)
Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
Weeds (Showtime)
Heroes (NBC)
Dexter (Showtime)
Eureka (Syfy)
Big Love (HBO)
Ugly Betty (ABC)
Mad Men (AMC)
Gossip Girl (The CW)
Sons of Anarchy (FX)
True Blood (HBO)
Glee (Fox)
The Vampire Diaries (The CW)
The Good Wife (CBS)
Warehouse 13 (Syfy)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Downton Abbey (PBS)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Spartacus (Starz)
The Big C (Showtime)
Black Mirror (Netflix)
American Horror Story (FX)

Well this is by far nowhere near a comprehensive list. You see, we live in what is called a capitalist society, decisions are made upon what is going to be a quality product and that will make money.

You REALLY think 99 out of 100 is politically motivated? Seriously? That seems ridiculous...in the extreme. Given that we live in a capitalist society and if something wasn't making money....it would NOT be depicted. Trust me.

To be honest, it almost seems strange at this point where there are glaring examples where there is no LGBTQ+ characters or references.

EDIT: Almost forgot...almost everything on Bravo
So, if the Horde raids Stormwind and attacking King Anduin Wrynn does that make the Horde Homophobic for attacking if he was gay?

If the Alliance raids Orgrimmar and attacks Sylvanas does that make Alliance sexist for attacking her because she is a woman?
I still have yet to see LGBT+ representation in this game.

No characters to represent this part of the world community is a travesty. More and more games are starting to allow this kind of representation, but Blizzard has not.

As a game that seems to be increasing in tolerance, why not do this? I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I really think you should listen to your customers.

We want several things done with the game and I think this is one of those things. As you will see in the remainder of the thread, plenty of people will share my ideals and support me.

Thank you for reading!

In a world constantly at war they literally cannot afford to be LBGTQ . in fact with all the war happening they might be dead before they realized they are attracted to the same sex. No time for exploration of any kind when demons reign from the skies. Chances are they worry more about procreation then indulging in attraction of the same gender.

Simply put they don't have time tk sit around in br introspective.
10/18/2018 12:36 AMPosted by Buttscratch
So, if the Horde raids Stormwind and attacking King Anduin Wrynn does that make the Horde Homophobic for attacking if he was gay?

If the Alliance raids Orgrimmar and attacks Sylvanas does that make Alliance sexist for attacking her because she is a woman?

Obviously yes, because to people like the OP, being gay or a woman isn't just a trait a person has, its an entire personality and the only thing that matters when discussing that person.
What about that sexy fair maiden blood elf we saved in un'goro?
They also don't have an NPC in the game who is a rabid Harry Potter fan.
10/18/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Nadanson
10/17/2018 11:24 PMPosted by Tødo
When it comes to the whole lgbt representation in media thing.. 99 times out of 100 it is done specifically to pander to a political agenda. And its almost always done badly. Its almost always blatantly obvious it had no passion behind it. Its demeaning and insulting for people to be forcefully reminded about inclusion and diversity.

This is patently false.

This is an extremely long list but let us just start in the 2000's these all have either had main characters or supporting LGBTQ+ Characters

The Ellen Show
Fllen Degeneres Talk Show
Frank Herbert's "Dune" Not a very nice character but who says we have to be nice?
Queer as Folk (Showtime)
Dark Angel (Fox)
South Park (The Comedy Channel)
24 (Fox)
Firefly (Fox)
The Shield (FX)
The Wire (HBO)
Angels in America (HBO)
Nip/Tuck (FX)
The OC (Fox)
House (Fox)
Desperate Housewives (ABC)
Rescue Me (FX)
Battlestar Gallactica (Sci Fi Channel)
The L Word (Showtime)
Lost (ABC)
Deadwood (HBO)
The Book of Daniel (NBC)
Will and Grace (NBC)
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (NBC)
Supernatural (The WB)
Doctor Who (BBC)
Bones (Fox)
Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
Weeds (Showtime)
Heroes (NBC)
Dexter (Showtime)
Eureka (Syfy)
Big Love (HBO)
Ugly Betty (ABC)
Mad Men (AMC)
Gossip Girl (The CW)
Sons of Anarchy (FX)
True Blood (HBO)
Glee (Fox)
The Vampire Diaries (The CW)
The Good Wife (CBS)
Warehouse 13 (Syfy)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Downton Abbey (PBS)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Spartacus (Starz)
The Big C (Showtime)
Black Mirror (Netflix)
American Horror Story (FX)

Well this is by far nowhere near a comprehensive list. You see, we live in what is called a capitalist society, decisions are made upon what is going to be a quality product and that will make money.

You REALLY think 99 out of 100 is politically motivated? Seriously? That seems ridiculous...in the extreme. Given that we live in a capitalist society and if something wasn't making money....it would NOT be depicted. Trust me.

To be honest, it almost seems strange at this point where there are glaring examples where there is no LGBTQ+ characters or references.

EDIT: Almost forgot...almost everything on Bravo

Really? Going to list the Ellen Show? No one cares if she's a lesbian it has zilch to do with the show. South Park? Everything about it is fueled by politics and makes fun of everything possible, in a great way.

The ones that werent politically motivated like Game of Thrones, it made perfect sense and fit beautifully with the story. It was for a reason.

Havent seen most of the ones you listed to comment. I didnt say anything that had anything to do with gay people was due to politics. I specified "representation" in media. Just because an author put gay people in their story it doesnt mean they are there to satisfy gay people. I very highly doubt George. R.R. Martin was concerned about representing the lgbtq community when he was writing GoT. When they are just tossed in to do the "representing" its always done for political correctness and its almost always done like crap. Maybe thats how I should have phrased it.
10/17/2018 02:05 PMPosted by Míles

LGBT representation exists, you just have to keep your eyes open a bit for it.

But that would mean they couldn't be unreasonably upset over a problem that isn't there.

And that just won't do.

You sir are my hero
This is equally as stupid as asking for our characters to pee and poop. No one cares. Certain aspects of biological existence don't add to a fantasy world.
As you will see in the remainder of the thread, plenty of people will share my ideals and support me.

That is awfully presumptuous.

Also the representation exists already, don't forget by representation we're talking about %'s and LGBT is still a very small % in comparison.

Secondly look deeper, just because they don't stick out as stereotypes doesn't mean they aren't there.
10/18/2018 12:42 AMPosted by Phelios

In a world constantly at war they literally cannot afford to be LBGTQ.

Like Alexander the Great, who spent his entire adult life at war, and scandalized his own forces by refusing to move on from his relationship with Haephestion, when he'd technically outgrown it by Macedonian standards?

What does being at war, or a warrior, have to do with it?

How is it fair that we know all about the Malfurion/Tyrande/Illidan love triangle ten thousand years ago, if romantic relationships aren't relevant? Or Thrall's wife and child? Or expectations on Anduin to marry?

It's not that this kind of thing isn't in game, as legitimate aspects of well-rounded characters. It is in game. But suggest that some people in a world of walrus men and demons and panda people and all the rest might, possibly, have a relationship that is meaningful with a person of the same gender, and it's like chum in the water for phobic trolls.

Isn't this kind of harassment against the terms of use? I thought these forums were moderated. Where are the bans?
10/17/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Rorrand
Valtrois and Stellagosa.

What? They are not a thing. When two people of the same sex talk that doesn't make them gay for each other.

10/17/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Joyeuse
Isn't Khadgar gay?

No. He has said he wished he could have had a wife and kids but because of what Medivh did he would never have that life.

Turalyon and Alleria used to fight a lot and it pissed him off to see them throwing away what he couldn't have.
Budd Nedreck.

Then there are also the two ladies in Arathi Highlands and the ones over in Azsuna.

Then you've got Tracer over in Overwatch.

There are many more that I am way too tired to think of at the moment.

Personally I would much rather see diversity among Humans. It would be cool to have prominent Black, Latino and Asian NPCs.
10/18/2018 12:24 AMPosted by Tødo

But you did the whole spiel about how you love gay people, then in the next paragraph you're like "it's not natural." Now in this post, after I said it's perfectly fine in the animal kingdom, you bring up cannibalism and eating vomit. Am I not supposed to think you are comparing us to that?

I'm in this thread because silence is complicity. If I don't challenge peoples garbage opinions about human beings as I come across them, that would mean I'm OK with it, and I am not. Will I change their minds? Most likely not. But that's probably beyond my power, especially in an online forum. It's not OK to treat people like that.

So let them cry. The more they cry about gay people existing the louder I'll get.
I am part of the LGBT spectrum and I do not care because I do not need a video game to validate my existence.
10/18/2018 01:00 AMPosted by Xaeris
Budd Nedreck.

Hes actually mentally damaged. The spirits of Zul Aman attacked him and threw him in a fire and it drove him mad.
10/18/2018 12:52 AMPosted by Tødo
Really? Going to list the Ellen Show? No one cares if she's a lesbian it has zilch to do with the show.

Ellen does though and it DOES have to do with the show. Ellen mentions her wife on the show A LOT - her LESBIAN wife. Ellen also is most certainly not afraid to use her show as a platform for LGBTQ+ Rights and equality MANY MANY times.

10/18/2018 12:52 AMPosted by Tødo
When they are just tossed in to do the "representing" its always done for political correctness and its almost always done like crap. Maybe thats how I should have phrased it

OK you keep trying to make this point but you have ZILCH to back it up with.
10/17/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Khëmical
I've seen a flamboyant male NPC somewhere along the questing travels, I cannot remember where but they are there, maybe not as noticeable perhaps for your liking? How would yours look Op? or better yet what would you rather see in the game or how would it play out to make it more satisfying?

Only curious

Johnny/(aka Jenny) Awesome lol. Hes funny.
From what I've noticed blizz is fine with female to female relationships. Don't think they ever put a male to male one. And one of the books is a bi guy with another guy but thats not really two characters actually interacting with each other more so fanfiction.