Stop With the Nickle and Dime Deflation, it's BAD.

General Discussion
10/19/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Oakttg
It sucks a fat one, everyone n my guild hates having a single night of progression raiding costing 10k gold, we are raiders not goblins, and it makes recruiting hard, because yea come wipe on mythic at great personal expense without a guarantee of progress or gear at the end.

I guess we should all just stop raiding and drop the game if we don't want to spend an extra 20 hours a week farming just because we like playing the game on hard mode.

Or everyone could spend 1 hour a week getting mats. Funneling them to someone in the guild who makes cauldrons and feasts for the entire raid.
It sucks a fat one, everyone n my guild hates having a single night of progression raiding costing 10k gold, we are raiders not goblins, and it makes recruiting hard, because yea come wipe on mythic at great personal expense without a guarantee of progress or gear at the end.

I guess we should all just stop raiding and drop the game if we don't want to spend an extra 20 hours a week farming just because we like playing the game on hard mode.

At the current price for the WoW token, your 10k repair cost is ~$1.72 in real money. Price of a candy bar. Cheap entertainment.
10/19/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Faetha
Gold makes gold. Those of us millionaires don’t worry about petty 5g flight paths and 700g repair costs, however a player who only has 30k to their name might be a bit surprised how quickly the total percentage of gold they spend on what especially are “taxes”.

It’s a system that makes the poor suffer and the rich can ignore.

But if it makes you buy a Token it’s a win am I right. ;)

As someone that plays very casually and doesn't go out looking to make gold, I find repair costs and flight costs to be minimal. And across all of my characters, I might have 60k gold.

I go and get repairs on a regular basis, so the amount I spend on repairs has never been more than 100 gold at a pop. And I die, probably more than I should, because I'm really not very good at the game and get myself into trouble often.
10/19/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Notagin

At the current price for the WoW token, your 10k repair cost is ~$1.72 in real money. Price of a candy bar. Cheap entertainment.

Your right, everyone who complains about the cost of playing should just dump more cash into the game, 15 bucks a month is just the starter fee for the game, if you value your time and make more than min wage selling your labor it is cheaper to buy a token than to farm in game.

The fact that it is an objectively less efficient use of time to play the game for gold than it is to buy the gold is a problem, but probably one by design.
10/19/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Nachtwind
However, it is NOT the new or casual or gold-disinterested player that is the problem there. Millionaires or really anyone putting in effort to grind gold doesn't care. But for those other, more representative players, this sucks hard.

If only there were methods in game for people to earn gold and even sell things to these millionaires.

The game has methods of creating infinite gold some of which requires doing content on older contents but is more profitable than BFA. Find your gold making scheme and get to work.
10/19/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Danaar
10/19/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Faetha
Gold makes gold. Those of us millionaires don’t worry about petty 5g flight paths and 700g repair costs, however a player who only has 30k to their name might be a bit surprised how quickly the total percentage of gold they spend on what especially are “taxes”.

It’s a system that makes the poor suffer and the rich can ignore.

But if it makes you buy a Token it’s a win am I right. ;)

As someone that plays very casually and doesn't go out looking to make gold, I find repair costs and flight costs to be minimal. And across all of my characters, I might have 60k gold.

I go and get repairs on a regular basis, so the amount I spend on repairs has never been more than 100 gold at a pop. And I die, probably more than I should, because I'm really not very good at the game and get myself into trouble often.

Those cost go way up when you spend a night eating buff food, pre potting, and wiping because its progression.
10/19/2018 12:43 PMPosted by Akston

Or everyone could spend 1 hour a week getting mats. Funneling them to someone in the guild who makes cauldrons and feasts for the entire raid.

That sounds like a good solution until you realize clicking nodes is less fun than just about anything else you can do in the game.

Forcing people who don't like running around farming herbs to run around farming herbs will get people to quit wow, not add another hour of play.
10/19/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Driggins
10/19/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Danaar

Those cost go way up when you spend a night eating buff food, pre potting, and wiping because its progression.

That becomes a risk vs. reward issue, really.
When I run out of money in RL, I go make money. Once I have money, I can buy the luxury items I need.

Flight Paths are a luxury item. You can run for free.
Repairs are a luxury item. Stop dying.
Food is a luxury item. You don't need food buffs.
Potions and flasks are luxury items. You don't need spell buffs.

Literally every profession (except maybe engineering) can make enough money to cover your costs.

I don't get loot from not doing raids. Why should you get luxury items from not participating in professions?
10/19/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Danaar
10/19/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Driggins

When raiding becomes unrewarding, raiders quit playing the game, they don't become old content mog farmers or compulsive alt levelers.
10/19/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Rockadee
When I run out of money in RL, I go make money. Once I have money, I can buy the luxury items I need.

Flight Paths are a luxury item. You can run for free.
Repairs are a luxury item. Stop dying.
Food is a luxury item. You don't need food buffs.
Potions and flasks are luxury items. You don't need spell buffs.

Literally every profession (except maybe engineering) can make enough money to cover your costs.

I don't get loot from not doing raids. Why should you get luxury items from not participating in professions?

Those items are required if you actually play the game at a high level, not all of us just walk around doing WQs like you.
10/19/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Rockadee

My engineer has made over a million gold since Warlords using her profession.
10/19/2018 10:24 AMPosted by Spinster
I do think it is a lazy fix to reducing the millionaires. UNLESS the point is to get non-gold makers to buy tokens with cash and sell them for gold.

Jokes on them. More will be frustrated they can't buy things in the game like azerite respeccing or consumables and just stop playing than buy gold.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I think that was a contributing factor in the 100k WoW token price. Raiders bought gold tokens rather than farm their own mats or gold.

I think as attrition naturally takes a toll on players in progression raiding the further we get into the xpac and as the price of mats fall (like for anchorweed), the price of the WoW token should start heading back up again.
10/19/2018 10:24 AMPosted by Mvura
Those costs are inconsequential.
I assume it's far from inconsequential if you didn't take advantage of gold inflation during WoD and Legion.
The only thing that really costs me any gold is the damn scrapper. Instead of vendoring my purples for a nice chunk of gold I have to feed them into the machine for a horrendous chance at expulsom.
10/19/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Driggins

When raiding becomes unrewarding, raiders quit playing the game, they don't become old content mog farmers or compulsive alt levelers.

The original premise of the thread was that flying and repair costs hindered the casual player. I'm refuting that claim to say that the casual player does not incur an over-the-top repair bill, and the flight path costs are a non-issue as well, since that flight cost could be negated in five minutes out killing random mobs for gray items.

Heavy repair bills for raiding is a separate issue. Players should decide if its worth it and respond accordingly.

weird, because becoming an old content mog farmer and compulsive alt leveler is exactly what I did when I quit raiding
10/19/2018 01:11 PMPosted by Haunker

weird, because becoming an old content mog farmer and compulsive alt leveler is exactly what I did when I quit raiding

When I stop raiding I stop playing wow, the non-raid portion of the game just does nothing for me.

When the raiding is good, the game is worth playing, when its not, its just playing dressup with a virtual barbie doll.
10/19/2018 01:14 PMPosted by Oakttg
10/19/2018 01:11 PMPosted by Haunker

When I stop raiding I stop playing wow, the non-raid portion of the game just does nothing for me.

When the raiding is good, the game is worth playing, when its not, its just playing dressup with a virtual barbie doll.

That becomes a personal issue for you, and still does not mean there is an economic issue.