Stop With the Nickle and Dime Deflation, it's BAD.

General Discussion
They want people to struggle so they buy tokens. They know what they're doing.
10/19/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Khalamete

Its this at the end of the day, and everyone with 2 braincells to rub together can see it.

Fanboys gonna defend blizz no matter what, but I don't think most players like wow becoming a mobile game.
Game economy is something you can write a whole books on and still cover everything comparison to real world economic theories. People who benefit from the current game economy usually complain when their "golden calf" is threatened while those who don't always feel everything is too expensive.

Repair costs really aren't much of a gold sink but I always had a general idea to keep a certain amount of gold on a toon so that I never run into a brickwall. I set this mark at about 100 gold during Cataclysm and I currently set it at about 1000 gold during BFA.
What I hate is the AH tax on crafted gear from WOD, Legion, WOLK, Cata, etc... I make a level 91 weapon and the AH tax is 28 gold. The stuff is really slow to sell and I gotta put it on the AH 5-10x before it sells. Thats why there is hardly no gear or potions for sale on the AH for mid level characters.The AH tax on previous expansions should be lowered.
10/19/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Oakttg
10/19/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Khalamete

Its this at the end of the day, and everyone with 2 braincells to rub together can see it.

Fanboys gonna defend blizz no matter what, but I don't think most players like wow becoming a mobile game.

1) Repair costs and flight costs have been in the game a lot longer than tokens have been available for purchase.

2) I would certainly hope that people wouldn't buy tokens for the sole purpose of paying for repairs and flight paths.

3) If players are struggling so much that repair costs and flight costs are breaking them, there might be worse players than me in the game, which is sad.
10/19/2018 01:25 PMPosted by Danaar
10/19/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Oakttg

1) Repair costs and flight costs have been in the game a lot longer than tokens have been available for purchase.

2) I would certainly hope that people wouldn't buy tokens for the sole purpose of paying for repairs and flight paths.

3) If players are struggling so much that repair costs and flight costs are breaking them, there might be worse players than me in the game, which is sad.

I know alot of mythic raiders that are objectively better than you and hate the increased cost of raiding.

You literally don't know how hilariously bad it is at the top level, but hey maybe those herb farming bots really are the best players.
10/19/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Driggins
10/19/2018 01:25 PMPosted by Danaar

I know alot of mythic raiders that are objectively better than you and hate the increased cost of raiding.

You literally don't know how hilariously bad it is at the top level, but hey maybe those herb farming bots really are the best players.

I'm sure there are thousands of players better than me. I've already stated that I'm not good and die... a lot! I don't raid because I don't feel I'm good enough to be effective at raiding and would rather not drag others down in a raid environment.
10/19/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Miadra
The one that kills me is the mog cost. It gets expensive trying to look good.

Sounds like RL.
10/19/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Nachtwind
Econ 101 lesson here: Repair costs, flight paths etc. are equivalent to tolls or flat taxes. These are considered regressive because they're the same for everyone regardless of income and so have disproportionate effect on the poor vs. the rich.

It's not regressive because the there is zero barrier to entry in to the economy, there are no "haves and have nots" at the level of gold maintenance costs in WoW.

Consider the re-roll token. There are plenty of sources of Gold and War Resources to be able to easily buy one per week for gold and resources. You don't have to farm, you don't have to arbitrage, you just have to be selective as to which WQs you might want to run. Plus the rewards from the Emissaries and other casual drops.

Add in the Warfronts and other things, and it's not hard to pay for these things.

I pay for all these things, and I don't do squat. I just "play the game". WQs and other quests.

It's not regressive because you have the exact same opportunities, at the most base level, of anyone else, and it's not some monster time sink (which, essentially, MMOs are anyway).

"I have no reason to run WQs!"

Sure, if you don't want gold, or gear to scrap or vendor for gold, or War Resources to pay for missions to get gold or to use to buy re-roll tokens.

"I hate WQs!"

Sure, you hate traveling and killing monsters in a game fundamentally designed around traveling and killing monsters. "Ok."

Looking at the WQs available right now, between gold and vendoring gear, there's over 400g available in WQs alone today.

I know one of the Emissaries recently was worth 700g.

Rich players can to that, poor players can do that, strong players can do that, weak players can do that. Anyone can do that.

It costs money to play this game, especially raiding, specifically repairs. Piddy costs 500g to fully repair right now. Raiding is expensive. It's ALWAYS been expensive. Dungeons? Not so much? Generic M+'s? not so much. You don't wipe as much, so you repair less.

But a death costs you 10%. So a death for me costs me 50g. If I'm lucky, and I die in a fight, and they rez me, and I wipe anyway -- 100g. Yay me.

If all you do is things that cost money instead of earning your keep, that's on you. Beg to your guildies to sustain you.

But it's not like it's not available in the game.
Is there really any playstyle that does not provide income sufficient to cover flight paths and repair costs?!?

If there is I agree that's a problem, but flight paths especially really feel like a trivial cost to me...