My Arcane Mage Wish List

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Replace Mana Shield with Master of Escape.

Make Arcane Empowerment baseline with an addition to Reverberate to make Clearcasting function the current way it does (for free Arcane Explosions but only 1 charge).
(EDIT: the reward of 5% bonus damage to Arcane Missiles per stack of Clearcasting granted by Arcane Empowerment won't be reliable enough in PvE to make use of effectively due to how Clearcasting procs compared to the pre-BfA system of 15%/30% chance per cast; to better reward the gamble with our max mana pool and the average time spent I'm proposing changing the damage buff to grant 15% bonus damage to the next 3 casts of Arcane Missiles if the Mage manages to stack Clearcasting up to 3 times before using them.)
This will still mean Arcane Missiles needs a direct buff to its damage but it provides an extra incentive to the risk/reward of getting 3 Clearcasting procs without spending them prematurely.

Add 3 charges of Clearcasting to Charged Up and move it to the lvl 90 talent row in place of Touch of the Magi and move Touch of the Magi to the lvl 60 talent row in place of Charged Up.

Add an extra 2 Arcane Missiles to Amplification.

Increase the maximum mana buff of Arcane Familiar to 20% and make Familiar's Arcane Assault spell deal splash damage to all enemies within 5 yards of the target.
(This effectively defines Arcane Familiar to be a cleave talent primarily to supplement and support Arcane Explosion while also providing a small, long ranged addition to AoE damage befitting of the first talent row)

Redesign Nether Tempest to be a carbon copy of Mark of Aluneth from Legion - add a 70% snare to the Nether Tempest debuff on the target like there was in both the Legion and BfA alphas.

Buff the damage of Supernova by 255%.

Replace Ice Ward with a single target crowd control called Prismatic Flash - 'Dazzles the target with a flash of blinding Arcane energy, causing them to wander about in confusion for 6 seconds, their next 3 melee swings within 20 seconds has an 80% chance to miss their target. - Instant. 30 yd range. 1 min cooldown.'.
(Arcane lacks the level of crowd control variety that Frost and Fire bring to both PvE and PvP, Frost has multiple sources of single target and multi target abilities that apply Chilled to their enemies that is highly valued in dungeons as well as a second root with Freeze when they don't talent in to Lonely Winter while Fire has cc on all 3 Mage schools, Polymorph, Dragon's Breath and Ring of Frost with the first 2 being baseline, while Arcane gets access to Ring of Frost through talents all of its hard cc is both casted and classified as an Incapacitate effect thus they share diminishing returns, Polymorph is also on the Arcane school which Arcane needs access to for damage, shut down Polymorph and you shut down our damage at the same time, shut down Ring of Frost and you stop us being able to use Ice Block.
Prismatic Flash gives us an alternative option for control and setup that brings us to a level playing field with Fire and Frost but requires us to choose between Ring of Frost for AoE hard cc and Chrono Shift for personal survivability and an AoE snare. Ice Ward is irrelevant due to being an inferior talent to Ring of Frost and DR'ing on itself, anytime it has ever been useful it has been better to take Ring of Frost because you can cast it from a safe distance and you still have Frost Nova regardless)

Increase the Arcane Power buff from Time Anomaly to 10 seconds.

Increase the radius of Arcane Explosion to 15 yards (was formerly Glyph of Arcane Explosion).
(Simply put, 10 yards from the target is just not a big enough radius for a Mage to spend extended periods of time in in any BfA PvE content, mechanics and splash damage, as well as tank threat generation being lower means we easily can get chunked to near death in a second once we start bursting a trash pack down with Arcane Explosion; the increased range on Arcane Explosion that we had in Legion worked wonders in ensuring we were viable as an AoE spec in all but very very very high level keystones (beyond +15's)).

(EDIT: Some AoE suggestions to tackle our shortranged AoE issues)
Buff Arcane Explosion by 30% and Arcane Orb by 15%.

Arcane Diffraction | 2.3 sec cast time | 2.5% of base mana - Strikes the target with volatile energy dealing (55% of Spell power) Arcane damage and ripples (45% of Spell power) Arcane damage to all nearby targets.
Each Arcane Charge increases the mana cost of Arcane Diffraction by 100%, and reduces cast time by 8%.
Generates 1 Arcane Charge.

While talented in to Reverberate, modify Clearcasting to also effect the function of Arcane Explosion to be able to be cast on either a friendly or an enemy target up to 40 yards away, this way Arcane Explosion will still always have a priority benefit to be cast during AoE portions of a fight when we proc Clearcasting but can't get in range to use Arcane Explosion safely without the proc.
Sounds pretty good to me.
I'd play my mage again with those changes. lol
Hm... good...
SuccessWizard strikes again.
10/26/2018 11:36 AMPosted by Mythlos
SuccessWizard strikes again.

Indeed he does!
I’d say also baseline Arcane Orb with a new talent that is in theme with Overpowered and Time Anomaly.
10/26/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Sybille
I’d say also baseline Arcane Orb with a new talent that is in theme with Overpowered and Time Anomaly.

One idea is to have the replacement talent be to cause Arcane Barrage to reduce Arcane Orb's cooldown by 1 second per Arcane Charge and bump up Orb's cooldown to 25-30 seconds to compensate for it.
I like these ideas. I do hope they look at arcane a bit for 8.1
10/26/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Vawk

We do feel quite forgotten at this point.
10/26/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Failedwizard
10/26/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Vawk

We do feel quite forgotten at this point.

Ya it seems so.

And with regards to possible arcane explosion changes - I wouldn't mind seeing some way to use it at range. Perhaps a target with nether tempest would become the focus of the explosion. It would just be nice to have some kind of option to AoE at range.
Would be nice if the spell proc graphic for clear casting actually showed how many stacks of clear casting you have like we did with missile procs in Legion.
10/26/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Failedwizard

It does like 1500 dmg, this might not be enough lol.
Whatever, almost anything else is better than current arcane.
10/26/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Vindecaytor
10/26/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Failedwizard

It does like 1500 dmg, this might not be enough lol.
Whatever, almost anything else is better than current arcane.

Keep in mind there's a 100% bonus damage modifier to the main enemy target of Supernova, so 1500 + 255% + 100% = 10650.
Made an edit to the Arcane Empowerment section.

I'm proposing changing the damage buff to grant 15% bonus damage to the next 3 casts of Arcane Missiles if the Mage manages to stack Clearcasting up to 3 times before using them

I don't think there should be a damage buff per stack in the first place. Just make it a damage buff to CC.
Practical and economical, good stuff. Well thought out, even the fairness to other classes aspect is heeded remains intact.
10/26/2018 10:05 PMPosted by Luxeley
Practical and economical, good stuff. Well thought out, even the fairness to other classes aspect is heeded remains intact.

Thank you :D Khadgar death beam ability incoming :P
I also wish they'd change some traits to be usable in both ST and AoE. So, easy example, Glavanized Spark does x damage for AB or x damage for AE. If we are using completely different spells for AoE and ST, then traits (and talents) have to work with either of our main spells. Blizz themselves have said choosing between ST and AoE isn't a good choice, but that is the theme for almost every single Arcane talent or Trait.
10/27/2018 12:43 AMPosted by Majyka
I also wish they'd change some traits to be usable in both ST and AoE. So, easy example, Glavanized Spark does x damage for AB or x damage for AE. If we are using completely different spells for AoE and ST, then traits (and talents) have to work with either of our main spells. Blizz themselves have said choosing between ST and AoE isn't a good choice, but that is the theme for almost every single Arcane talent or Trait.

Basically because we've kept 90% of the same talents in the same rows from Legion.