My Arcane Mage Wish List

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
This thread I think is better than the other one, so going to resurrect this one.

Arcane, as usual, getting no changes or fixes. So, time to dream away.

Major issues I have.

Boring - too few buttons to press.

Too many talents and Azerite Traits that are ST vs. AoE (exactly what Blizz has repeatedly said is bad design).

No ranged AoE.

No cleave.

No mana conserve cycle for AoE.

Too many underperforming talents.

A few things I've been thinking about to fix some of these issues. This isn't supposed to be package rework, just a few assorted things to think about. Part of the problem with large fixes is that it requires a massive rework of Azerite Traits as well, which I am trying to avoid.

Arcane Missile damage increased by 20%. Please make this our go-to spell for damage again.

Make Arcane Blast have a toggle (like the old Fire and Brimstone Warlock talent) that allows AB to do AoE damage. This increases mana consumption, but would work on the same charge as normal AB. This allows traits that buff AB help with AoE, too. The idea is that this is our large damage option for AoE, with Arcane Explosion good for when you need instant damage, maybe on weaker targets.

New spell. Not sure, here, but we just need another button to press somewhere, especially if we make Arcane Blast also do AoE. Haven't figured out anything yet.

Clearcasting changed to give two charges. No brainer, here.

New spell (baseline): Greater Arcane Missiles. Arcane missiles hit up to three targets for 60% of regular arcane missile damage. Also affected by Clearcasting and Amplification. Just an idea I had for cleave. Definitely needs tweaking to not be overpowered.

Shimmer - should just be baseline. Or removed and just have evocation be non-interruptable.

MIrror Image - baseline. No one takes this for damage, ever. All it is now is a defensive when out questing.

Resonance. Change this to do 10% bonus damage on one target, then another 10% per target. Gets rid of the uselessness for single target.

Supernova. Either buff the damage significantly and give it two charges, or just make it a baseline interrupt.

Reverberate. Get rid of the three target requirement. Have it work even if you only hit one target. So sick of ST talents competing against AoE talents on the same row.

Arcane Orb. Would love to see this baseline. Increase the damage and fix the pathing already. Not sure why the pathing has to be worse than in the past.

Again, not intending that this be a complete rework, mostly some ideas to get the discussion continuing. Hopefully, brighter people than me can come up with better ideas to fix our issues.
Gonna add my AoE improvements idea to the top of the thread next to an edit and down here too.

Buff Arcane Explosion by 30% and Arcane Orb by 15%.

Arcane Diffraction | 2.3 sec cast time | 2.5% of base mana - Strikes the target with volatile energy dealing (55% of Spell power) Arcane damage and ripples (45% of Spell power) Arcane damage to all nearby targets.
Each Arcane Charge increases the mana cost of Arcane Diffraction by 100%, and reduces cast time by 8%.
Generates 1 Arcane Charge.

While talented in to Reverberate, modify Clearcasting to also effect the function of Arcane Explosion to be able to be cast on either a friendly or an enemy target up to 40 yards away, this way Arcane Explosion will still always have a priority benefit to be cast during AoE portions of a fight when we proc Clearcasting but can't get in range to use Arcane Explosion safely without the proc.
11/09/2018 03:20 AMPosted by Failedwizard

While talented in to Reverberate, modify Clearcasting to also effect the function of Arcane Explosion to be able to be cast on either a friendly or an enemy target up to 40 yards away, this way Arcane Explosion will still always have a priority benefit to be cast during AoE portions of a fight when we proc Clearcasting but can't get in range to use Arcane Explosion safely without the proc.

In theory I like this, but it still only allows for ranged AoE when Clearcasting procs. I'm not so sure that helps, because basically, you still have to sit in melee range for AoE because Clearcasting only procs infrequently. Alternatively, you stay at range only doing ST damage 90% of the time, which also isn't great. Maybe I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work, but it just feels too random to really be effective.
11/09/2018 04:57 AMPosted by Majyka

In theory I like this, but it still only allows for ranged AoE when Clearcasting procs. I'm not so sure that helps, because basically, you still have to sit in melee range for AoE because Clearcasting only procs infrequently. Alternatively, you stay at range only doing ST damage 90% of the time, which also isn't great. Maybe I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work, but it just feels too random to really be effective.

That's because you missed the other suggestion in my post.
11/09/2018 04:57 AMPosted by Majyka

Go check out my suggestions on the end of page 2. It fits what you want sorta.

Gonna add my AoE improvements idea to the top of the thread next to an edit and down here too.

Buff Arcane Explosion by 30% and Arcane Orb by 15%.

Arcane Diffraction | 2.3 sec cast time | 2.5% of base mana - Strikes the target with volatile energy dealing (55% of Spell power) Arcane damage and ripples (45% of Spell power) Arcane damage to all nearby targets.
Each Arcane Charge increases the mana cost of Arcane Diffraction by 100%, and reduces cast time by 8%.
Generates 1 Arcane Charge.

Honestly, I think it might be easier to just change arcane explosion to always be a ranged spell. Clearcasting wont help because I will be in melee range ANYWAY before getting clearcast. So it doesn't fix the issue at all.
No way is the current dev team going to ever let Arcane have a fully instant, fully mobile playstyle from max range. Arcane Diffraction lets us have an AoE conserve phase and is 40 yards.
11/09/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Failedwizard
No way is the current dev team going to ever let Arcane have a fully instant, fully mobile playstyle from max range. Arcane Diffraction lets us have an AoE conserve phase and is 40 yards.

Why not? The damage on Arcane Explosion is literally equal to 1/5th the damage of arcane missiles. Spamming Arcane Explosion is a huge waste of mana, I think you can get off like 10? Maybe a little more? It really is not an efficient spell except if you are fighting mobs that are 5+ stacks. The damage to mana use ratio is severely off in the current iteration of arcane explosion.
Arcane Explosion is significantly hindered by being removed from Arcane charges. Since it is instant cast, Blizz now can't buff the damage because it will be doing more damage than low charge Arcane Blast in ST, particularly due to it's much faster cast time. This would mean the optimal rotation for ST would be to use Arcane Explosion up to x number of charges, and only then use Arcane Blast.

Without that problem, I'd say buff Arcane Explosion and increase it's radius, and reduce the mana cost by 50%. Since it is unaffected by charges, what is the point of having it be a huge mana burn? There is no nuanced gameplay here, it's just spam until OOM and then evocate if you can. Throw in barrages, of course.

The entire spec is just a total joke with unrelated spells that basically kill any possibility of proper tuning. Overall, the damage is a joke except on a couple of bosses where you need priority burn on adds. Poor AoE, zero cleave, and only ST propping it up in a few fights. Unwanted as a ranged dps due to the melee distance on AE. Oh, and also not on Blizzard's mobile phone developer radar for fixes.
11/09/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Majyka
Arcane Explosion is significantly hindered by being removed from Arcane charges. Since it is instant cast, Blizz now can't buff the damage because it will be doing more damage than low charge Arcane Blast in ST, particularly due to it's much faster cast time. This would mean the optimal rotation for ST would be to use Arcane Explosion up to x number of charges, and only then use Arcane Blast.

Without that problem, I'd say buff Arcane Explosion and increase it's radius, and reduce the mana cost by 50%. Since it is unaffected by charges, what is the point of having it be a huge mana burn? There is no nuanced gameplay here, it's just spam until OOM and then evocate if you can. Throw in barrages, of course.

The entire spec is just a total joke with unrelated spells that basically kill any possibility of proper tuning. Overall, the damage is a joke except on a couple of bosses where you need priority burn on adds. Poor AoE, zero cleave, and only ST propping it up in a few fights. Unwanted as a ranged dps due to the melee distance on AE. Oh, and also not on Blizzard's mobile phone developer radar for fixes.

Oh I agree with you there then, yes it would just be clicking another button in certain situations since it is instant cast. That is why I liked my clearcasting idea where we make other spells buffed up depending on what you need in the situation.

Either way, as far as AOE at a range, why don't we get an arcane version of Frost spec's blizzard, and fire spec's Flamestrike spells. Both do dmg over time and slow mobs inside the spell. Arcane's version can just be a giant vortex, that has a pull effect that if you are ACTIVELY running away from the pull it looks like a 15% movement speed decrease. Call it Arcane Storm.
Now that we've seen the shaman and shadow priest "reworks" it's clear that they are doing nothing but numbers tuning that should have been done in a hotfix months ago. There is no "design" work going on with classes in WoW, so expecting anything other than some numbers tuning is clearly out the window.

I'd still hope Arcane gets some damage buffs, particularly for AoE, but not sure that'll happen due to the risk of it becoming stronger than AB. The spec is kind of screwed. I don't hold out much hope for 9.0, because class design has gotten worse for each xpac since MoP, so 9.0 looks to be even more simple (is that even possible?) and messed up, so that it can be ported to phones.
Every mage I talk to says they miss how arcane was in legion So something is clearly screwed up, in the meantime i just smash my keyboard into my face with every button set to cast Arcane Blast... contemplating on just playing classic while the man in charge sits around eating chips or whatever he does.
Lots of good ideas in here so I'm not going to iterate on them. Just throwing in my support, as we're seeing arcane mages fall way off as item level is increasing. Doesn't feel good.
Forgot to add that Arcane Diffraction has a range of 40 yards.