Scaling News

Arenas
10/27/2018 12:31 PMPosted by Nazca
In a previous post I detailed how my different classes were scaling at different levels against my wifes hunter even at same ilvl.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769647667#post-1

Further testing has shown that all classes scale together the same.

What was actually going on...

You get scaled twice. Once based on your bag ilvl and once based on the gear you are wearing. My rogue didn't have near as high ilvl gear in his bags as my druid did therefore my druid got scaled down further even while wearing same ilvl gear.

What does this mean?

For us pvp'ers who often do not wear our highest ilvl gear due to off stats or azerite traits we are being punished for holding that gear in our bags.

The solution: Put the gear you do not intend to wear in void storage if it's higher ilvl then the gear you do intend to wear and do not open boxes unless you are prepared to drop the gear into void storage or scrap it.

If you intend to wear gear that has lower ilvl than gear you own, dropping the higher ilvl gear in void storage will cause you to deal more damage and take less damage in pvp.

This goes for healers as well. When I play resto I wear about 350 gear, which is a full 20 ilvls lower than my highest ilvl gear. While healing doesn't scale, I will now take less damage in the arena for having my highest gear in void storage instead.

fix this
10/27/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Jáfár
10/27/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Nazca

What does this even mean?

The impact of scaling is negligible. There is no advantage to gimping ilvl. Those of us with rating are equipping high ilvl gear with respect to preferred stat priority.

meanwhile people at low rating are cheesing the system. Must be nice to actually play on a level ground.

it's a huge problem when someone with 100k hp is somehow a god.
If the difference in ilvl is that large and you're taking "27% less damage", I can't help but feel the increase in stamina and agi/str/int would make up for non ideal secondaries. That's probably about 27% less health and 27% less agi you're missing out on.
10/30/2018 04:59 AMPosted by Sosassy
If the difference in ilvl is that large and you're taking "27% less damage", I can't help but feel the increase in stamina and agi/str/int would make up for non ideal secondaries. That's probably about 27% less health and 27% less agi you're missing out on.

Maybe. There isn't a real reason you would wear 300 gear with correct off stats instead of 380 gear with incorrect ones.

But if you are wearing 340 azerite gear instead of 370 due to traits there will be a a scaling benefit just for those 3 pieces however small it is.

10/30/2018 04:32 AMPosted by Silme
10/27/2018 11:14 PMPosted by Nazca
However, for those of us carry'ing around higher ilvl gear in our bags it is always beneficial to drop it in void storage. My druid was scaled down a full 27% against my wifes hunter with both characters at 300 ilvl. This scaling came from our bag ilvls.

Have you tested the void storage thing?

Another player and I have a RP shtick where we are "twins" and wear identical gear. Obviously this often means saving higher ilvl gear and not wearing it right away. We've been aware that the resulting scaling hurts us, but if we could fix it by keeping the higher ilvl gear in void storage until we have matches, that would be very nice. Confirmation by test would be nice.

Also, have you tested whether having the gear in the bank is sufficient, or does that still count as being in your bags?

I actually haven't tested the bank. Feel free to test it.

Would the transmog system not fit your purposes much better?
The only blue post (really just a twitter post) we have on scaling describes it as bringing the difference in iLvl closer together.

No one has any idea what that means or how it works.

Gear of a higher iLvl has a linear increase in main stats but not off stats. So when they bring your iLvls closer together is it just bringing your main stats closer or your entire stat sheet?

Even if it was the entire stat sheet there's no raw damage reduction stat barring versa which is a small amount of DR to begin with, so the adjustment in itself would be well sub 1%.

No one understands scaling, that's by design. Previous testing has even showed that numbers you see on your screen and in your combat log as damage given/taken might not even be the real numbers. Don't ask me how that works, but there have been threads.
But i do get your point. Certain people will feel the need to have a Pvp gear set which is their highest possible iLvl. That would mean BFA is exactly like legion which is what we all wanted to move away from. We wanted our gear to matter more than that.
Also, have you tested whether having the gear in the bank is sufficient, or does that still count as being in your bags?

Would the transmog system not fit your purposes much better?[/quote]
We started in Vanilla when we actually had to have identical gear, and we kind of feel that just using transmog is cheating. We don't insist on exactly the same warforging/socketing/tertiaries though; that would make it nearly impossible.

I take it your first statement here means you have tested void storage?

We'll test the bank if we can, but since we have very similar gear, it's tougher for us to do ilvl tests.
10/30/2018 12:11 PMPosted by Silme

Would the transmog system not fit your purposes much better?

We started in Vanilla when we actually had to have identical gear, and we kind of feel that just using transmog is cheating. We don't insist on exactly the same warforging/socketing/tertiaries though; that would make it nearly impossible.

I take it your first statement here means you have tested void storage?

We'll test the bank if we can, but since we have very similar gear, it's tougher for us to do ilvl tests.[/quote]

Yes I have tested void storage. The game forgets you have that gear and your ilvl goes down.

Be careful when placing gear in void storage, you will lose any gems or enchants as well as any "crafted by..." Notations. This is because void storage just logs some reference to what item it is and not the item itself.

Both of you put all your gear in void storage except gear that makes you ilvl 300. You can have empty slots for this test. Hit each other once and compare both combat logs as well as health diminished. As long as it's all equal you are scaled one to one.

Next have one player take his high ilvl gear out of void storage and hold it in his bags. Hit each other more and note the difference in damage. The character that is holding his gear should be scaled down some amount while the other is scaled the inverse.

Now take that gear and drop it in your bank. Check your character sheet to see if ilvl changed and hit each other again right here. Note the difference in damage.

I expect it to be the same scaling as if it were in your bags. Let us know if it goes one to one again.
10/30/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Manbewby
The only blue post (really just a twitter post) we have on scaling describes it as bringing the difference in iLvl closer together.

No one has any idea what that means or how it works.

Gear of a higher iLvl has a linear increase in main stats but not off stats. So when they bring your iLvls closer together is it just bringing your main stats closer or your entire stat sheet?

Even if it was the entire stat sheet there's no raw damage reduction stat barring versa which is a small amount of DR to begin with, so the adjustment in itself would be well sub 1%.

No one understands scaling, that's by design. Previous testing has even showed that numbers you see on your screen and in your combat log as damage given/taken might not even be the real numbers. Don't ask me how that works, but there have been threads.

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me here. Of course I know no one understands scaling which is what prompted me to do the testing I've done.

I can tell you haven't read all my info though as I have done combat log testing. In all my testing the player who received damages combat log on received damage was always equal to health diminished and can be trusted.

The damage dealers combat log for damage done can never be trusted as this is the damage done before scaling.

The difference in combat logs is what allows us to see how much we were scaled.