People who refuse to talk in dungeons...why?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
I always try to socialize with the people in my groups. Communication makes rough runs more bearable because you have people taking accountability for mistakes and you can have teaching moments. If you're talking to your party, and you screw something up, having talked with them or talking with them makes their reaction a lot softer because you're not some idiot behind a computer screen, you're actually a person trying to do things.

Communication started to die in the middle of Wrath when they introduced LFG and people no longer had an impetus to talk with others in their servers. Things have snowballed from there to the point where there is no reason to talk whatsoever. Be the change you want to see, start talking, keep stimulating discussion however you can.
I always say hi.

Mostly people are just doing the thing and you can't really do the thing and type easily at the same time. Rarely I'll be in a group that starts a conversation but mostly it's just rotation buttons...

1 2 1111111 2 11111111 (been playing DH a bit )
10/29/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Elsebe
10/29/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Gelato
I’d say a large part of it is due to the random dungeon finder. Not trying to trash it, it’s just since its release we now do dungeons with people we’re most likely never going to see and talk to again. So what’s the point in talking in the first place now, y’know? The server community aspect of the game has basically died.

The chatty groups from previous eras are ridiculed for trying to enjoy their end game content like they used to, the overskilled quiet zergers are frustrated at being held back with meaningless banter, etc.

Ugh. I remember when my friend first introduced me to this game back in Cata. I'd more often than not get groups who were great with communication and who'd respond in kind to witty banter.

Nowadays, and even going by the reactions in this thread, people act like you've asked them who they're voting for in the next election. Just almost offended that you'd want them to speak up if there's something the group needs to discuss.
10/29/2018 10:47 AMPosted by Minaeva
A lot of players in dungeon finder are dumb apes who leave after a single wipe and constantly complain about us being too slow. And then there's always this one person who makes fun of me for being on MoonGuard.

There's no point in typing a single word to people anymore.

As someone who plays Alliance on Moon Guard and Horde on WRA, I feel your pain. Screw them.
Well, I've got half a dozen basic things like "hello!", "/wave", "Thank you all!" macro'd. Costs me nothing.
The entire "GO GO GO GO" Mentality, that's been further reinforced with mythic+. BFA dungeons? All people testing M+ strats in most cases, no server community is another big one...

Then there's more people with multiple monitors, multi-tasking and etc and not entirely focusing on a dungeon run and chatting during it. We'll truly see what the causes are when Classic comes out and there's no M+ and dungeons are much slower.
10/29/2018 10:44 AMPosted by Flamethrøwer
Okay but like....I remember people talking up a STORM in random dungeons in Wrath!

We were still used to the BC way of doing things. Actually discussing trash pulls because our characters weren't insanely overpowered compared to trash. We had to talk because if we didn't, we wiped.

This and the *Wrath* way of doing things. People seem to always forget that Wrath didn't have LFG most of the time. It was included in the ICC(3.3) patch.
10/29/2018 10:17 AMPosted by Snowfox
Saying anything past 'hi' when you join is a risk.

Everything after that point you run the chance of just being kicked for it.

This. I used to have a buddy who I played with who was too chatty or tried to insert humor in while tanking; it didn't always go over well. I usually say hi and check the dots on the map before we pull anything to make sure everyone got in okay.
Um... last time I ran a dungeon where people spoke, a hunter started spam yelling "MAGA" after every boss was down and then got in a fight at Jes Howlis with the other hunter over a piece of gear, and then they both dropped the group. I just say "hi" and "bye". I don't have time for the whining and drama anymore.
There are many reasons why people don't talk, one being they might not have seen the comment to begin with. My chat gets very messy, with guild chat, chats 1, 2, the addons that announce stuff, all those things fill up the chat and if you make a comment in the middle of all that, and I'm focused on killing something, I won't see it.

I am not chatty in dungeons, as someone posted, if I stopped to type what I wanted to say, I'd be so far behind everyone else. However, if I do have a group that I know is new to a dungeon, I don't mind taking the time to explain what to do and how to do it. Everyone was new to the game/role at some point, and it makes for a much smoother run if you help the person learn what to do vs rant at them because they did it wrong.
10/29/2018 10:06 AMPosted by Gorodan
I can't type that fast. No one stops long enough. I'd be 1/2 the instance behind.

I still don't get how people type while in combat. That's some crazy keyboard skills there.

My problem too. Not that anyone even responds to a hi
I used to say a lot in the early expansions and during the time that I mained a priest. However, over time the player base has become far more toxic, than in in those days. I do not invite trouble into my leisure time... so I do not open the door.

I also live by the motto in game, "If you have nothing nice to say, It is likely best unsaid..."
I don't usually talk in quick dungeon finder groups and only sometimes in LFR -- usually drawing attention in an already negative group just makes you an easy target but sometimes being really social actually improves the group mood.
10/29/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Antimatter
You don't poke a sleeping dragon.

You can poke MY sleeping dragon any day bby
As long no one talk, it a smooth run easy to deal

But we have those winy few "Oh you why your dps is low" Even if it passable and guy still learning

That set me off

as well try to learn how this new stuff works

other then that I up to crack few jokes and be cool as long every one else stay cool, If you gonna be !@# or jerk, we could vote kick or you could leave by clicking you icon to leave....
Speaking of talking in dungeons. I had a thought. Am I crazy, or in the way back past, didn't it used to be standard protocol for everyone to thank the healer at the end of a dungeon when it went well. Like the last time I'm remembering this was Wrath.
10/29/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Kahless
I always drop a "what's good, fam?"

I've been kicked for typing almost that exact sentence before, lmao. Group leader was like, "'fam'? bye" and suddenly I was out.
10/29/2018 09:58 AMPosted by Astera
People have completely forgotten the entire point of playing video games, and have also forgotten how to interact with other people.

People don't seem to get that I don't have to interact with you or the game the way you do and you can either deal with that or not. Just like in life.

I'm not interested in how you play or what soothes your neuroses and makes you comfortable.
10/29/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Kazrien
10/29/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Kahless
I always drop a "what's good, fam?"

I've been kicked for typing almost that exact sentence before, lmao. Group leader was like, "'fam'? bye" and suddenly I was out.

I wouldn't kick you, but I'd ignore you. I hate that phrase and people who talk like the !@#$% who repeat the same sort of meme phrases you see flood twitch comments. They're not going to say anything meaningful or interesting, but I wouldn't drop you unless you also played stupid. I'd only drop you for chat if you somehow made it clear you were also some white trash alt-right player.
10/29/2018 10:44 AMPosted by Flamethrøwer
Okay but like....I remember people talking up a STORM in random dungeons in Wrath!

We were still used to the BC way of doing things. Actually discussing trash pulls because our characters weren't insanely overpowered compared to trash. We had to talk because if we didn't, we wiped.

Don't need to have a conversation about "Sap Moon, Trap Square, Kill Skull"...