Attention Retail Vanilla players help

Classic Discussion
Please anyone who played prior to vanilla retails release of dire maul!

I played alliance in classic and started in Feb 2005 which means I played after Maraudons release and prior to Dire Maul when this happened.

When I was leveling through redridge for the first time I remember a black drake swooping down over lakes hire on a timer spitting fire over the docks from the blacksmith to the inn which killed players. I remember this because I had gotten a warrior to 20 and found out dual wield was so bad then that dragon made me instantly reroll to paladin.

I played horde in tbc and wraith. I did not level a character in vanilla past BWL. I did not play Cata/MoP/WoD.

Please someone help me I remember this so vividly but I cant find videos, articles, or proof. My cousin also remembers but we cant remember anything else as we were like 9.

Please for the love of God help me someone lol
!
Are you talking about Snarlflare? Its a rare in Redridge. Is that what you wanted help with remembering? I'm not totally sure what you're asking for help with.
11/03/2018 09:39 AMPosted by Roseblood
Are you talking about Snarlflare? Its a rare in Redridge. Is that what you wanted help with remembering? I'm not totally sure what you're asking for help with.

No it was a timed announced and he would run through redridge and kill players. That wasnt that was it?
Which brings me to my next point gentlemen! Don't, do, crack.
11/03/2018 09:59 AMPosted by Critz

No it was a timed announced and he would run through redridge and kill players. That wasnt that was it?

Uhh, you're not confusing that with Deathwing in Catacylsm, are you? He did set zones in a random timer with a zone announcement and strafed the zone and killed everyone.
11/03/2018 09:59 AMPosted by Critz

Unless everytime i leveled through Reddridge i can honestly say I never saw anything like this until Cata, but its entirely possible I just missed it, but you didnt just spend a couple of hours there so you'd think I would have seen this.
11/03/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Hunteryx
Uhh, you're not confusing that with Deathwing in Catacylsm, are you? He did set zones in a random timer with a zone announcement and strafed the zone and killed everyone.
I'm almost certain this is what OP is remembering. I can't recall anything from vanilla that is even similar to what he's describing, but it sounds almost exactly like the pre-Cata event.
100% deathwing from cata your thinking of.
11/03/2018 10:50 AMPosted by Aranhod
11/03/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Hunteryx
I'm almost certain this is what OP is remembering. I can't recall anything from vanilla that is even similar to what he's describing, but it sounds almost exactly like the pre-Cata event.

Yeah, never once did I ever see a random black dragon popping up in Redridge ganking people, other than DW.
Can't think of single time pre-cata that I was ever in redridge and a black dragon came to kill people.
Did it look something like this OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilwr616wVOc
Yeah flying by and burning the entire town. I believe you are remembering things fairly incorrectly.

The only time we've had something that literally flew overhead and burned the entire town killing players was Deathwing.
I remember this event to.

It was a drake that landed in Redridge and killed all the npcs and players for a while. I think it lasted around 30 minutes but I can't remember why it was there or if it was for quest.

I remember playing my paladin and not being able to hit it. There was a high level gnome rogue there, I think around the 40's and he looked so cool i ended up rerolling to my main for 10+ years
I remember the rare spawn pig around the side of redridge and the whelps over the bridge and larger dragonkin on the way into the Burning steppes.
11/03/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Cruelint
I remember this event to.

It was a drake that landed in Redridge and killed all the npcs and players for a while. I think it lasted around 30 minutes but I can't remember why it was there or if it was for quest.

I remember playing my paladin and not being able to hit it. There was a high level gnome rogue there, I think around the 40's and he looked so cool i ended up rerolling to my main for 10+ years

See thats what i remember!

Also it couldnt of been Cataclysm because I stopped playing after I did ICC in wraith and didnt play until the prepatch for legion.
It definitely wasn't a cataclysm event. Pretty sure it one of those roaming drakes from Searing gorge or one of the drakes from the hunter epic bow quest that bugged out and traveled there.

I think it was some coding error if i recalled on the forums. It definitely wasn't intended. It happened a couple times but it was hotfixed I believe because at the time it wasn't able to be killed.

This was 2005-early 2006 if i remember when i played my Paladin
11/03/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Cruelint
drakes from the hunter epic bow quest

Uh... as someone who had Rhok'delar in vanilla and still has it, there were no drakes you killed for that quest. You had to solo 4 demons. You did have to kill Onyxia, but she didn't go to red ridge and nuke it.
11/03/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Cruelint
It definitely wasn't a cataclysm event. Pretty sure it one of those roaming drakes from Searing gorge or one of the drakes from the hunter epic bow quest that bugged out and traveled there.

I think it was some coding error if i recalled on the forums. It definitely wasn't intended. It happened a couple times but it was hotfixed I believe because at the time it wasn't able to be killed.

This was 2005-early 2006 if i remember when i played my Paladin

Someone kiting it is possible. People used to do that for kicks all the time, until Blizzard put leashing on them. But that wouldn't have been an event, just someone messing around.
My guess would be Teremus, he was a black dragon and kiting him out of the blasted lands to various places was a thing.
11/03/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Minicillin
My guess would be Teremus, he was a black dragon and kiting him out of the blasted lands to various places was a thing.
If it was someone kiting then it definitely wouldn't be "swooping down" as OP described, but that could just be an erroneous memory.