Blizzard dev blames Trump for community backlash.

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
No, I'm not making this up. His settings are "private" on Twitter, but we have the original tweets archived.

Sources:
http://archive.is/7Cvfu
https://external-preview.redd.it/dNoZARJmSLevwBVOsgzCEcrAsZOE5_3fbEuJ6LIq7Ys.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=36e73c8a99880f8c69412aa7618a832a532fc901

No joke, I blame @realDonaldTrump for the rhetoric of the Blizzard community right now over #DiabloImmortal. It hasn't been this bad in *years*. Perverse national discourse and normalization of hard line / no compromise speech is the root cause of this.

Now, assuming he's being serious....

You know. Take it from a person who has been screwed a lot in life, I've probably had a rougher life than most people. I'm not going to tell you what I've had done to me. But one thing I can tell most people. is that blaming other people for your problems, just isn't a good strategy in life.

Now, in the broader context of this tweet, politics aside, I'm more than certain there are people in our "lovely community-TM" whom are very disjointed about Diablo Immortal that don't like Trump. Some aren't even remotely Republican.

I'm even willing to bet that some may in fact, have a down right hatred for President Trump. With that being said, I think it's just a little insulting to customers who are "left" politically, whom don't even listen to what Trump believes, to be caricatured in a way that their complaints aren't validated because Trump made them nasty forum posters, despite rejecting Trumps "rhetoric".

I mean, if you don't believe me, just go ahead and ask them. I'm pretty sure they will tell you that Trump had zero impact on their displeasure about Diablo.

I also don't think as a conservative that Blizzard should be blaming my criticism of their decisions about a video game on my president. Trump didn't walk in, insult Chris Metzan by calling him a fat motherless ogre and forced the Dev team to make a bad choice. That's just really silly. Trump's "rhetoric" as some would put it, didn't cause me or other people to be less critical.

I was here on the forums when Obama was president, hissing like a snake when they tried to put in REAL ID. And don't even get me started on MOP when they announced Panderan as a playable race.

I also find it hypocritical that so many people, like myself, who defend Blizzards right to make video games free from the censorship, free from a group of paranoid lawyers who blame violence on video games, blame a sitting president for the same shenanigans. Me listening to Trump doesn't make me a violent person, nor does it make me some "hardliner" as the Dev in question would assume.

I mean for goodness sake, I play a Panda. :3

This is almost as bad when Columbia Pictures blamed Misogyny for the reason why the 2016 Ghost Busters movie was so poorly received.

Strong community backlash has always been here because people are passionate about what they play. Good god, I remember when all the people were crying about Cataclysm Dungeons being hard and Ghost crawlers sarcastic response. Video game community's have always been toxic. If some would think backlash or toxicity is bad now, just go back to 2007 on the Xbox live with the Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 1 community. It would make onions cry.

It's like we live in a day and age where people just can't admit they made mistakes. How are we ever supposed to progress as a society if we can't at least admit there is a problem? I've made mistakes, plenty of them. I'm not perfect. Neither is Blizzard nor anybody. Try to better yourself. Go and take a break. Hide in your home for 5 days and just relax and know that it's not the end of the world. And come out swinging.

If the Dev is reading this. I'm not even upset. I just hope you get better.

That's all I need to say about this.

{Moderator Edit - Locking this one due to the heated direction it has taken. Please keep discussions civil.}
I blame George Michael for this thread ><
Read this elsewhere yesterday and was absolutely disgusted.
11/05/2018 04:31 AMPosted by Wariya
I blame George Michael for this thread ><

Literally who?
Thanks Obama....
It's bad PR not American but I bet both sides of politics play video games also it's just the world we live in you wake to the news about someone offending someone.
I’ve seen a lot of bizarre rationale to excuse the fact that the Diablo release is just a massive PR blunder by a company that should know better. You’ve got an endless list of garbage that can be laid on Trump but this (for once) isn’t one of them.
Posh hollywood urbanites have a tendency to be narcissistic and look upon their critics as vermin, so it makes sense they would scapegoat le orange man instead of owning up to any possible mistake.
People like this that blame something else and play dumb politics should be fired to save Blizzard; otherwise like anything else it will be ruined by these types.
Lol people just blame Trump for everything he's a way for people to shift the blame for their own actions/failures.
Just keep digging yourselves in deeper blizzard. Trump gets blamed for literally every thing now a days, pretty sure the npc theory is true. They literally cannot critically think and just parrot what they are told. Accept some damn responsibility blizzard!

Orange man bad!
People these days really bring politics into everywhere including games, don’t they?
11/05/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Bearj
Lol people just blame Trump for everything he's a way for people to shift the blame for their own actions/failures.

Its typical for that side to blame others for their failures and take credit for other peoples success.
lol

Wat

I hope this is a joke.
I've noticed in forums and in game that more NPC's seem to be playing their pre programed comments.

Perhaps npc's have infiltrated bliz as well.

not worth the effort to look for proof.

A game should exist to let people walk away and take a break from real world stuff, not as a medium to push a real world agenda.

Pleasing customers and earning money for a job well done is what business is supposed to be about, not manipulating customers and trying to indoctrinate npc's
i now regret buying diablo on switch the other day, i literally don't want my money going to these devs, they are so completely out of touch i doubt we will see diablo 4 anytime soon.
I think the biggest problem this expac was putting all the best artists and designers on horde and then splitting the story into two completely different worlds. In legion everyone got to enjoy the same story for the most part. At least the questing zone and cities. I just started a horde toon and I am blown away by how well the city and quests are so far. It's actually kind of hilarious. I think the majority of complaints come from alliance because there just isn't much there besides the core game mechanics, which everyone agrees has issues. At least on horde you can appreciate all the hard work that went into the design. So this guy is probably serious but it's hilarious all the same. Blaming Trump for mistakes that can easily be avoided is just funny to me. I know this post was about diablo but this is the wc forum so I thought I'd relate in that way. I was going to make a separate forum post about this but this seems like a good place for it. Bfa is actually decent, it's just that only 2/3 of the players have seen it.
Libs never ever work on a problem by first looking in the mirror. It is the core of who they are...
Oh, so they're not just detached from the player base, they're also detached from reality. I guess that explains some of these recent choices.