Blizzard dev blames Trump for community backlash.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
I really hate politics on any side being brought into WoW
He may have a point.

Not that the Diablo thing isn't their own self inflicted wound.

But any casual look over these forums or other forums the past few years has shown a clear increase in hostility and aggressiveness in terms of the way people write to or at each other.

And while that's not saying the Diablo thing is Trump's fault. What it is saying is that the political atmosphere and open hostility there between the two sides, may be bleeding out into other completely unrelated areas like the forums here. People are just worked up in general and it's coming through in multiple formats even where you wouldn't expect it. There's a certain level of transference that's going on.

And I think there may be some merit to that argument. Even if Blizzard should own it's issue with Diablo.
Yep... Totally not upper managements fault for the backlash. Nope. It's the orange man's fault. I'm going to assume it was a joke, and if it was then it was pretty lame.

Blizzard shouldn't be making jokes anyway about the very real and very legitimate backlash from the Diablo immortal announcement.

Upper management should be really careful about what they do now with their company and franchises.

Wouldn't surprise me if next year they say "hey guys we're remastering diablo 3 for the ps5 and Xbox two!"
11/05/2018 04:43 AMPosted by Uxmaziel
He may have a point.

Not that the Diablo thing isn't their own self inflicted wound.

But any casual look over these forums or other forums the past few years has shown a clear increase in hostility and aggressiveness in terms of the way people write to or at each other.

And while that's not saying the Diablo thing is Trump's fault. What it is saying is that the political atmosphere and open hostility there between the two sides, may be bleeding out into other completely unrelated areas like the forums here. People are just worked up in general and it's coming through in multiple formats even where you wouldn't expect it. There's a certain level of transference that's going on.

And I think there may be some merit to that argument. Even if Blizzard should own it's issue with Diablo.

Nope forums have always been full of hate and rage the internet as a whole has been toxic for alooong time now so
Oh my dear Adam, if you blame trump for your failure of a PR stunt for your new mobile game.. you've got a terrible way of handling your failures.

Donald Trump never invoked this. The moment you take loyal video game fans' trust and value in your company and throw a product that does not remotely come close to your audience's tastes.. you're going to get ridiculed beyond repair. This happened under Obama, Bush, clinton and everyone before.

Know your market, your audience, and don't royally screw up and try to take a beloved, yet ignored franchise and go mobile. Mobile is the worst form of gaming and its a horrible way to advertise to your PC exclusive fanbase.
I kind of agree with him. It's not really exclusive to pro-Trump though people though. People on both sides have really started to lower the standard of acceptable discussion over the last few years.

Pro-Trumpers are emboldened and anti-Trumpers are frustrated. As a result both sides have thrown civil discussion out the window and everybody has the overly extremist "if you disagree with me you're a f****** moron and you should go die" mentality. People don't just argue facts anymore without making overly obnoxious personal attacks against each other.
He's welcome to his beliefs, no matter how irrational they might be. This falls in line with a lot of other things he has said.
11/05/2018 04:47 AMPosted by Atroxx
I kind of agree with him. It's not really exclusive to pro-Trump though people though. People on both sides have really started to lower the standard of acceptable discussion over the last few years.

Pro-Trumpers are emboldened and anti-Trumpers are frustrated. As a result both sides have thrown civil discussion out the window and everybody has the overly extremist "if you disagree with me you're a f****** moron and you should go die" mentality. People don't just argue facts anymore without making overly obnoxious personal attacks against each other.

Dude no...

Trump didn't do this. How the heck could he even do something like this?

You need the timeout card.
He's got it backwards.

The current state of whining is what led to Trump, as people spread misinformation and memes for their own popularity while twisting truth and reality to serve their agendas.

Blame the internet.

Case in point: Streamers whining about /LFG in classic when it wasn't even active, leading to a mass raging by the classic players who just took him for his word, all because that streamer wanted the memes for popularity.

Fact is, people are empowered by their own ignorance as the internet doesn't filter out the uninformed and worthless opinions.
Confirmed next raid boss lol. Half Life 3 confirmed also?
11/05/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Bearj
Nope forums have always been full of hate and rage
I've been around since day 1 in classic.

Yes, hate and rage have always been around.

It's not the fact they have always existed. It's the scope of scale of how the language is being deployed today that differs from how it was happening in the past. And a certain amount of that seems to be mimicking the way political debate has been getting adjudicated online.

There has been a raw escalation by both sides of the political aisle towards nasty violent rhetoric, and people just flat out hating each other. And some of that appears to be spilling over. And, just to be clear, I'm not arguing causation necessarily, just correlation.

None of that is why players have had such a visceral negative reaction to the Diablo announcement. That's a legitimate response on their end, and I don't want to belittle or take away from that. I just think there would be some merit in the argument that the manner in which people are venting those legitimate frustrations on the forums has at least a little to do with how the political situation has degraded on both sides the past few years.
I just googled who that was and he's not a Blizzard employee.

He owns Blizzardwatch.com and is a manager at Modern Tribe Inc.
What he meant is that Trump's constant toxic, divisive rhetoric has normalized negativity and loathing--mostly in regards to politics, but I feel pretty safe in saying that some of that negativity has certainly leaked out into other areas of our lives.

While I'll agree with most of the community that Diablobile was a pretty strange move, I'm not against it and I find it a bit silly that everyone is ready to raise the torches over it. It's not like it's a numbered sequel or anything.

That said, yeah. Trump sucks, and it amazes me that anyone with any capacity for rational thought or empathy could still support him at this point in his presidency. He's single-handedly made our country look like trash on the world stage, abdicated our global position of leadership, rolled back social progress, and succeeded at driving a wedge between "the right" and "the left" rather than the bringing-together most other presidents attempt. Worst of all, (or maybe this is a good thing) he's indirectly exposed the entire Republican party as a bunch of morally-bankrupt boot lickers and ring kissers who are apparently willing to plug their noses prop him up no matter how badly he stinks. Nothing seems to be too low if it means ramming that agenda through. See Kavanaugh for details.
Maybe it's the fact that mobile games are a sub par gaming platform and pay to win.
People have been blowing up on devs for years now over much smaller mistakes!
11/05/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Aesica
What he meant is that Trump's constant toxic, divisive rhetoric has normalized negativity and loathing--mostly in regards to politics, but I feel pretty safe in saying that some of that negativity has certainly leaked out into other areas of our lives.

While I'll agree with most of the community that Diablobile was a pretty strange move, I'm not against it and I find it a bit silly that everyone is ready to raise the torches over it. It's not like it's a numbered sequel or anything.

That said, yeah. Trump sucks, and it amazes me that anyone with any capacity for rational thought or empathy could still support him at this point in his presidency. He's single-handedly made our country look like trash on the world stage, abdicated our global position of leadership, rolled back social progress, and succeeded at driving a wedge between "the right" and "the left" rather than the bringing-together most other presidents attempt. Worst of all, (or maybe this is a good thing) he's indirectly exposed the entire Republican party as a bunch of morally-bankrupt boot lickers and ring kissers who are apparently willing to plug their noses prop him up no matter how badly he stinks. Nothing seems to be too low if it means ramming that agenda through. See Kavanaugh for details.
*Beep boop* ORANGE MAN BAD! *beep boop*
"No compromise"...you can either pay Blizz, or not pay Blizz, so this yoke gets a salary. Or can we "compromise", and I'll only send them $5 a month?

Blizz is totally tone deaf, in every respect. Made a big deal of making a mobile game, to a group of hardcore Diablo fans who were hoping for big news that impacted them. Stupid, and has nothing to do with Trump. It's an unforced error, that anyone not living in a bubble would have known better. Compounded with "you got phones don't you".

Then you've got Ion...who says there are no class issues, we just need to "Git Gud". While I've got a virtually unplayable Spriest who says differently. My Spriest, must be a Trump supporter.
No one likes Mobile phone games. If this Diablo game was on PC, people would be ok with it. but blaming Trump for community dislike this up coming game. That on them.
11/05/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Tinkerizmo

Probably confusing him with HOLINKA since the last names are similar. Holinka is the actual employee not holinsky
11/05/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Tinkerizmo

Exhibit B.

People in this thread didn't even bother to check the OP for facts before getting all riled up. Took the OP's word as fact and went with it.