Blizzard dev blames Trump for community backlash.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
11/05/2018 04:50 AMPosted by Therric
11/05/2018 04:47 AMPosted by Atroxx
I kind of agree with him. It's not really exclusive to pro-Trump though people though. People on both sides have really started to lower the standard of acceptable discussion over the last few years.

Pro-Trumpers are emboldened and anti-Trumpers are frustrated. As a result both sides have thrown civil discussion out the window and everybody has the overly extremist "if you disagree with me you're a f****** moron and you should go die" mentality. People don't just argue facts anymore without making overly obnoxious personal attacks against each other.

Dude no...

Trump didn't do this. How the heck could he even do something like this?

You need the timeout card.

Not sure if you even read my comment, or maybe I wasn't clear enough. I didn't say it was Trumps fault, rather that people in general have become much more hostile and aggressive in online discussions. Most of that attitude started in political discussions, which pretty much always center around Trump in some way. That hostility and aggressiveness is absolutely bleeding over into other forms of non-political media and discussions.
11/05/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Aesica
What he meant is that Trump's constant toxic, divisive rhetoric has normalized negativity and loathing--mostly in regards to politics, but I feel pretty safe in saying that some of that negativity has certainly leaked out into other areas of our lives.

While I'll agree with most of the community that Diablobile was a pretty strange move, I'm not against it and I find it a bit silly that everyone is ready to raise the torches over it. It's not like it's a numbered sequel or anything.

That said, yeah. Trump sucks, and it amazes me that anyone with any capacity for rational thought or empathy could still support him at this point in his presidency. He's single-handedly made our country look like trash on the world stage, abdicated our global position of leadership, rolled back social progress, and succeeded at driving a wedge between "the right" and "the left" rather than the bringing-together most other presidents attempt. Worst of all, (or maybe this is a good thing) he's indirectly exposed the entire Republican party as a bunch of morally-bankrupt boot lickers and ring kissers who are apparently willing to plug their noses prop him up no matter how badly he stinks. Nothing seems to be too low if it means ramming that agenda through. See Kavanaugh for details.

OK. Let's act like Trump invented "constant toxic negativity".

-______-

Where were you for the Sanders troupe? The Clinton troupe? It's been a part of politics since forever. For you to state it's Trumps fault makes you look silly.
I saw this yesterday and had a WTF moment............................ Maybe he should look in the mirror and blame himself. I assume he live in the fantasy zone called la la land and is no longer need required to believe in reality.

This is typical of the liberal mind speak and the so called diversity they hype. Maybe this guy needs a bigger play pen safe space and a better nanny.
11/05/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Mythlor
11/05/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Tinkerizmo
I just googled who that was and he's not a Blizzard employee.

He owns Blizzardwatch.com and is a manager at Modern Tribe Inc.

Exhibit B.

People in this thread didn't even bother to check the OP for facts before getting all riled up. Took the OP's word as fact and went with it.

Since Blizzard didn't take the thread down, yep that happens. People spread fake news, look at the person talking about how classic forums are violent/terrible and when fact-checked was proven to be untrue but that thread is still up too
11/05/2018 04:43 AMPosted by Uxmaziel
He may have a point.

Not that the Diablo thing isn't their own self inflicted wound.

But any casual look over these forums or other forums the past few years has shown a clear increase in hostility and aggressiveness in terms of the way people write to or at each other.

And while that's not saying the Diablo thing is Trump's fault. What it is saying is that the political atmosphere and open hostility there between the two sides, may be bleeding out into other completely unrelated areas like the forums here. People are just worked up in general and it's coming through in multiple formats even where you wouldn't expect it. There's a certain level of transference that's going on.

And I think there may be some merit to that argument. Even if Blizzard should own it's issue with Diablo.

Its literally been like this since 2004.
11/05/2018 04:52 AMPosted by Släm
*Beep boop* ORANGE MAN BAD! *beep boop*

Glad we both agree! :D
How does he explain the millions of European fans who think Diablo Immortal is a joke?
11/05/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Uxmaziel
11/05/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Bearj
Nope forums have always been full of hate and rage
I've been around since day 1 in classic.

Yes, hate and rage have always been around.

It's not the fact they have always existed. It's the scope of scale of how the language is being deployed today that differs from how it was happening in the past. And a certain amount of that seems to be mimicking the way political debate has been getting adjudicated online.

There has been a raw escalation by both sides of the political aisle towards nasty violent rhetoric, and people just flat out hating each other. And some of that appears to be spilling over. And, just to be clear, I'm not arguing causation necessarily, just correlation.

None of that is why players have had such a visceral negative reaction to the Diablo announcement. That's a legitimate response on their end, and I don't want to belittle or take away from that. I just think there would be some merit in the argument that the manner in which people are venting those legitimate frustrations on the forums has at least a little to do with how the political situation has degraded on both sides the past few years.

It's different today because we live in a victim entitled generation nothing to do with Trump started many years ago
Trumps a garbage human being and the worst President in modern history, and I greatly look forward to reading his obituary, but... he's not responsible for every jerk gamer or twitter user.
So, he's not a developer, and he said something political that even those who share his politics should disagree with. Time to move on.

ETA he's still seems to be acting better than that Price gal.
Generic Manufactured Outrage Thread of the day.
Exhibit C. No shame from those defending the OP for a hate generating fake news post. Throw Fel into the forums and watch the show. Shameful. Absolutely shameful.
wow... just.... wow.
11/05/2018 04:57 AMPosted by Aesica
11/05/2018 04:52 AMPosted by Släm
*Beep boop* ORANGE MAN BAD! *beep boop*

Glad we both agree! :D

Bites hard on the NPC meme.
You know what for all you people hating trump you are the very reason he was voted in and yet you still fail to see that. I'm sorry he offends you but I was offended by Obama and the crap he pulled.

But i never went out and rioted or wore a P*ssy hat or committed acts of violence and tried to destroy people private property.

Victim hood is a bad thing and many of you still have it and can't let it go.
11/05/2018 05:03 AMPosted by Nerfmagnet
wow... just.... wow.

Yup, that's the acronym we all use for it.
All Wyatt Cheng had to say is, "We still have a Diablo 4 project for the pc, I just can't say anything else on it"

End of controversy.

But he never said that, deliberately dodged a question about the pc future, and specifically said Immortal will not come to the pc.

An in case anyone was curious, the tweeter in question doesn't work for Blizz.
This is really pathetic, tbh. Instead of accepting responsibility for their own downfalls we have Blizzard employees blaming the president.
A. Adam Holisky is not a blizzard dev.

B. Blizzardwatch =/= Blizzard

C. Diablo Immortal is terrible idea, don't buy it

D. If you want to defend your politics get it right who you're defending it from and pick a better venue
11/05/2018 05:05 AMPosted by Tinkerizmo
All Wyatt Cheng had to say is, "We still have a Diablo 4 project for the pc, I just can't say anything else on it"

End of controversy.

But he never said that, deliberately dodged a question about the pc future, and specifically said Immortal will not come to the pc.

An in case anyone was curious, the tweeter in question doesn't work for Blizz.

The whole Q&A was a b ad joke and was like 2 people going on a first date. the whole thing was awkward.