Blizzard dev blames Trump for community backlash.

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
11/05/2018 05:39 AMPosted by Wildora
Taxes are lower, friend.

Nope not in my state. I am married with kids. they went up. By a lot. I have to pay school taxes. federal gives breaks if qualify. key word. By state went nuts and raised ours. It was do to them lowering it.
That's not on Trump or Federal Taxes. That is on your State Legislators and your Governor.
11/05/2018 05:44 AMPosted by Tori
11/05/2018 04:55 AMPosted by Therric
OK. Let's act like Trump invented "constant toxic negativity".

-______-

Where were you for the Sanders troupe? The Clinton troupe? It's been a part of politics since forever. For you to state it's Trumps fault makes you look silly.

I was in Australia, so for me Trump was the first American President to tweet like a toxic YouTube commentator and show a complete disdain for diplomacy, to be seemingly hell-bent on getting governments around the world off-side, allies of the USA at that, and perform like a buffoon whenever on camera.

Stunned disbelief is the predominant view from outside the USA and the long term damage he's done is immeasurable.

So.. are you agreeing with the dev's view that Trump is responsible for the community badmouthing their poor decisions?

Because it kind of seems like you are.
11/05/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Natesanders
Hey it's about an Anti-Trumper laying blame on Trump for Diablo Immortal's poor reception. Not like the Anti-Trumpers can claim that they are superior here.

We "Anti-Trumpers" prefer the title, "Pro-Common-Sensers" or "Pro-Human-Decency-Supporters."
Why, when I read this, do I feel like I'm being Gnomed?

11/05/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Mythlor
11/05/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Tinkerizmo
I just googled who that was and he's not a Blizzard employee.

He owns Blizzardwatch.com and is a manager at Modern Tribe Inc.

Exhibit B.

People in this thread didn't even bother to check the OP for facts before getting all riled up. Took the OP's word as fact and went with it.

Ah. Better not let reality get in the way if a good narrative.
11/05/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Aesica
Hey it's about an Anti-Trumper laying blame on Trump for Diablo Immortal's poor reception. Not like the Anti-Trumpers can claim that they are superior here.

We "Anti-Trumpers" prefer the title, "Pro-Common-Sensers" or "Pro-Human-Decency-Supporters."
I can see Decency at times, but many of them are why my wife staid in the closet for a long time, and her family still doesn't know. Common Sense has nothing to do with politics.
When will blizz announce this guy has been removed? Someone that thinks and actually writes this can't be competent to help design a game.
11/05/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Mingz
When will blizz announce this guy has been removed? Someone that thinks and actually writes this can't be competent to help design a game.
They can't, he's not employed by them.
11/05/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Aesica

You might prefer it but then we would be lying calling you that title :)
The guy that tweeted that is not a Blizzard dev.
11/05/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Grezik
11/05/2018 05:44 AMPosted by Tori

I was in Australia, so for me Trump was the first American President to tweet like a toxic YouTube commentator and show a complete disdain for diplomacy, to be seemingly hell-bent on getting governments around the world off-side, allies of the USA at that, and perform like a buffoon whenever on camera.

Stunned disbelief is the predominant view from outside the USA and the long term damage he's done is immeasurable.

So.. are you agreeing with the dev's view that Trump is responsible for the community badmouthing their poor decisions?

Because it kind of seems like you are.

He's not a dev.
11/05/2018 05:41 AMPosted by Thrasius
11/05/2018 05:27 AMPosted by Wildora

What has he done that has negatively affected your life?

His tariffs cost me my job for one, thankfully good friends and good luck landed me on my feet.

Really sucks, since I had just started that job and really enjoyed it.

In the short term there will be pain and that is unfortunate. The good news is with the booming economy there are more good jobs than people to fill them. My company has been trying to get people all year and we pay great starting pay for our trade.
11/05/2018 05:54 AMPosted by Onoswun
The guy that tweeted that is not a Blizzard dev.

SHHHHHHHHHH . No one hear cares about facts.
Why do people make threads that are only going to get 404'd when the mods roll in to work?

P.S. If people can't see what a terrible effect that baboon at the Resolute Desk has had on public discourse in all manner of ways...
11/05/2018 05:46 AMPosted by Natesanders
That's not on Trump or Federal Taxes. That is on your State Legislators and your Governor.

Here in CT, my current governor Malloy, he raise taxes here. Roads are terrible and he only cares about illegals. He wanted to add Tolls here as well but we are highly against it. What worst about CT, we are in high debt and not getting any better. He not seeking election due to his low approval ratings. but if Ned Lamont get elected, he going add tolls no matter what we said. Sadly CT is always a Blue state. I hope that will change tomorrow.
Holy flying bejeezus on a pogo stick...

If you're the voice, or a voice, of a business, run all of your external communication by a community manager, or maybe even a physiologist, BEFORE posting it.

I'm not kidding. You do want to be genuine, but the pressure of these kinds of sudden, negative events is intense, and can accentuate and warp the usual cognitive bias into really stupid levels. Don't take the organization, and the livelihood of everyone else who works for it, with you. The phrase "My views are my own" means nothing to the eye of the consumers in our current politically charged climate.
... Discourse in the Video Game world has been a level of extreme the 90s would envy. The toxicity would in any other context make it a superfund site. Donald Trump at his Absolute Trumpiest couldn't hope to be as abrasive and vitriolic as what you can wick off the surface of this industry.

Why? Because passions for a decades long franchise goes infinitely deeper than that of a single political moment. When the framework isn't "run this country" but "slaughter this millions of demons" then the tone tends to shift. And it's ALWAYS been like this!

You think Donald Trump is bad...? Go take one look at the original marketing campaign for Daikatana, check the date, then imagine that having had all that time to entrench itself, grow stronger, bolder, bigger, and worse. The game industry was nothing back then compared to what it is now in terms of cash flow, but the tone, the tone set not by the customers but by your industry remains.

And really, what do you want? You make narratives centered entirely around murder and violence, with some nihilism, xenophobia, slavery, and damnation thrown into the mix. The tone of your products isn't "nice civil discourse" and never has been.

Politics has nothing to do with this. Left wing, right wing... No. This is a gaming company screwing over gamers and suffering the consequences of that betrayal.

We've given you and your products decades of business and passionate, sometimes deranged levels of loyalty, buying and promoting and defending your products like clockwork and turning it into such a juggernaut within its genre it became the ARPG to compare all others to. We praised and cherished your works even when they failed, faltered, and had flaws. We loved Diablo.

And this is how you repay us? A two bit, EA style, exploitation engine farmed out to a third party? A sleazy, shameless, soulless, manipulative cash grab corporate sell out? ...

I'm sorry, but if you don't understand how this was a terrible idea guaranteed to enrage people, then you understand nothing about this industry or your own customers.
11/05/2018 05:56 AMPosted by Eyrinjia
Why do people make threads that are only going to get 404'd when the mods roll in to work?

P.S. If people can't see what a terrible effect that baboon at the Resolute Desk has had on public discourse in all manner of ways...

It spreads the fire they wanted to start. Doesn't matter if it's 404'd the damage is already done.
11/05/2018 05:46 AMPosted by Natesanders

Here in CT, my current governor Malloy, he raise taxes here. Roads are terrible and he only cares about illegal. He wanted to add Tolls here as well but we are highly against it. But he not seeking election due to his low approval ratings. but if Ned Lamont get elected, he going add tolls no matter what we said. Sadly CT is always a Blue state. I hope that will change tomorrow.
I really want to leave mine. We're a Red State still reeling after two useless Governors in a row and we have no choice but another useless one tomorrow no matter which side we pick. I guess we both could move to Texas.
11/05/2018 05:41 AMPosted by Thrasius
11/05/2018 05:27 AMPosted by Wildora

What has he done that has negatively affected your life?

His tariffs cost me my job for one, thankfully good friends and good luck landed me on my feet.

Really sucks, since I had just started that job and really enjoyed it.

If his actions are causing you your job, there's a chance you're in a naturally corrupting type of work.
11/05/2018 04:41 AMPosted by Oimate
I think the biggest problem this expac was putting all the best artists and designers on horde and then splitting the story into two completely different worlds. In legion everyone got to enjoy the same story for the most part. At least the questing zone and cities. I just started a horde toon and I am blown away by how well the city and quests are so far. It's actually kind of hilarious. I think the majority of complaints come from alliance because there just isn't much there besides the core game mechanics, which everyone agrees has issues. At least on horde you can appreciate all the hard work that went into the design. So this guy is probably serious but it's hilarious all the same. Blaming Trump for mistakes that can easily be avoided is just funny to me. I know this post was about diablo but this is the wc forum so I thought I'd relate in that way. I was going to make a separate forum post about this but this seems like a good place for it. Bfa is actually decent, it's just that only 2/3 of the players have seen it.

Preach it, brother.

I just made a Horde Paladin. At about 3o minutes in, I remember leaning back in my chair and saying out loud, “Wow, what the !@#$?!”

Lol.