Biggest Fear for Classic

Classic Discussion
I'm not one to champion no changes or argue the pros and cons of sharding. My biggest fear with Classic is investing time in a server with a bad community. A bad community could mean anything from people with attitudes and in-game goals that don't align with my own to simply a low-pop community that isn't active.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to minimize this randomness? I don't know anyone, personally, that is going to play Classic. I imagine Guild Recruitment forums may open up for classic prior to release.
They will most likely announce server names some time before the game launches and guilds will be picking theirs as they do early recruitment. Keep an eye on the toxic ones, avoid their server and stick to servers that have a healthy number of big guilds.
In this case it takes more than one rotten apple to spoil the bunch.

If you see a bunch of questionable people going for a specific server then you know to stay away from it. Otherwise, chances are that you are probably fine
The community is inherently going to be bad to a big extent. Just look at it now and I’ve experienced it first hand.

“Wtf you like them trash WoD models?”
“Dude go back to retail it’s trash just like you!”

Because you know, you can’t like both live and classic around these parts. If you don’t hate Blizzard and anything not classic you won’t fit in. Period.
I have a similar fear, which is why I am hesitant to even try Classic at this point.

Your best bet is trying to find a group of people to play with ahead of launch, preferably a guild. Classic launch will most likely be pretty rough. Depending on how Classic launch lines up with current retail content, it is possible that Classic servers get swamped with tourists. Most servers will probably start to see a big drop by the end of the first week. It will take Blizzard a bit to react, so we probably wont see the first round of merges until the end of week 2 at the earliest. By that time servers will have declined more, hopefully the merge plans are fluid and account for this, if not the first merges wont be that effective. Either way I expect another round of merges within the month.

Hopefully by then populations will have stabilized. We will still face another crisis when the tourists face a retail content drought and flock back to the servers that had to be merged due to them leaving. This will create login queues, although it may be short lived since most retailers probably don't have experience with this and will either quit again, or go to another server.
I feel I need to clarify. I meant to ask are there ways to form a community prior to the release of Classic. By bad, I don't necessarily mean vile or toxic. I understand that with 1000s of people on a server there are going to be those types of people. My concern was in overall tone of the server interaction and competition/fun.

I guess I'll just keep an eye out for group/guild recruitment posts.

Thanks for the replies. And worst case scenario, I could just reroll. =)
11/06/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Kombat
Does anyone have a suggestion how to minimize this randomness? I don't know anyone, personally, that is going to play Classic. I imagine Guild Recruitment forums may open up for classic prior to release.

I feel you man, personally I want to find a server that will have a big population and start forming a guild before all my friends start choosing which server they will go on. Sadly we will have to wait till they release the server names before people start declaring their servers. Best bet for now would be to start forming your own guild of people you trust and expanding from there.

11/06/2018 02:44 PMPosted by Cerrberus
They will most likely announce server names some time before the game launches and guilds will be picking theirs as they do early recruitment. Keep an eye on the toxic ones, avoid their server and stick to servers that have a healthy number of big guilds.

You hit it right on the head. This is what I am hoping for right now.
I recommend not judging the entire potential Classic community on the forums. This place is known for being far more hateful and … toxic … then the majority of the player base.
Don't let the loud mouth jerks on here both you. They are a loud minority. Plenty of people will come in to have fun.
My biggest fear is Sharding. It ruins experiences.

People having friends invite them to groups to get out of being ganked or camped is not vanilla.
Activision rediscovers how profitable classic wow is and greed creeps in to ruin it.
11/06/2018 03:28 PMPosted by Velossena
I recommend not judging the entire potential Classic community on the forums. This place is known for being far more hateful and … toxic … then the majority of the player base.

Are you saying classic is more toxic then general?

From what I've read there are a group of toxic people on these forums but they seem minority.
Same trolls who post on general and troll people post here.

11/06/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Kombat
biggest fear with Classic is investing time in a server with a bad community.

Had that happened to me in bc, got harassed by jerks and had people kick me from groups I created because they wanted their friend to come.

You shouldn't isolate yourself into one group of people, even guilds that are family and friends can be toxic dens that don't realize they are toxic.
So be prepared to move or test the water if sharding isn't added at start, rested exp can make it easier to level.
Are you saying classic is more toxic then general?From what I've read there are a group of toxic people on these forums but they seem minority.Same trolls who post on general and troll people post here.

I'm saying the forums as a whole, every sub forum, Classic, GD, all of them as a whole are more toxic then the actual player base. You get people away from the forums, where you don't have the trolls and the griefers and the people who refuse to listen to any point of view but their own, and you can generally have an intelligent conversation with people.
As soon as they announce server names you should be able to figure out which servers will be popular just reading where certain guilds and players go.
•Utilize your ignore list.
•Recruit irl friends.
•Make a character on each realm and run to major cities to watch trade chat.
•If using the forums as a gauge, look for people who match your ideology and follow them to whatever server they choose, or invite them to join you.
Group Finder and LFR.

Its in the game code, they forgot to disable it, they're already proving incompetence by using sharding and using legion as a code base and not an old vanilla code base.

There are tons of problems already showing, which makes you question if anyone at blizzard can even code, or are we going to have to rely on private servers for a true blizz-like experience, when not even blizzard can offer that.
I'm hoping the streamers avoid PvP servers.
11/06/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Mewzy
Because you know, you can’t like both live and classic around these parts. If you don’t hate Blizzard and anything not classic you won’t fit in. Period.

I knew of a person named "Period." It was actually spelled "." and pronounced "Full-stop" though.
11/07/2018 02:59 AMPosted by Jonular
I'm hoping the streamers avoid PvP servers.

Many people feel the opposite like they're going to "omglulrekt" them and their army of meat shields.