How do you make gold nowadays?

General Discussion
Made this post earlier hoping someone might suggest something, because honestly I have no idea these days.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769619185

I used to make my gold primarily through WQing in Legion. It wasn't the best way, but it was my way, and it was enough to fund what I needed with a little extra left over. But of course that's gone in BfA and I'm just kind of lost.

But now my bank account is slowly bleeding out and I will eventually find myself with nothing. Assuming that I'm not really much of an AH player (I throw stuff on there and hope for the best) can someone suggest some ways for me to get my head back above water in terms of gold?
Seems like everyone is scraping the bottom of the barrel for gold these days, yet somehow people are buying these 5m gold mounts as if it won't leave a dent in their pocketbooks. Since BfA pre-patch arrived in Legion, I've had to stop my spending in order to make gold.
11/07/2018 01:28 PMPosted by Volley
Seems like everyone is scraping the bottom of the barrel for gold these days, yet somehow people are buying these 5m gold mounts as if it won't leave a dent in their pocketbooks. Since BfA pre-patch arrived in Legion, I've had to stop my spending in order to make gold.

True. You'd think the token prices would go down as a result, though.
I cook feasts. They sell fast. If you catch your own fish your profit margin is wide. The meats on my server are super cheap but fishes costs more.

I was selling Blood Bones but the market crashed hard.

My tip is find a good audiobook and fish for a couple of hours,
11/07/2018 01:37 PMPosted by Gundai
I cook feasts. They sell fast. If you catch your own fish your profit margin is wide. The meats on my server are super cheap but fishes costs more.

I fished a serious crapton in Legion but haven't really touched it in BfA. Hmm, might be time! I'll give that a shot, thanks. :)
Go off the regular rails.

You make money in this world by doing what others won't or can't.
Simple answer is abuse the ah. Figure out what mats or raid buff items people need and sell it on ah.

Thats it all other gold making methods have been nerfed.
If you catch your own fish your profit margin is wide.

The math on this is always extremely subjective though. How much is your time worth if you only have an hour to play a day, what about 9 hours a day?
Step 1 open shop buy wow tokens, step 2 sell said wow tokens on the ah lol. First 2 weeks of the expac I was making plate honorable combatant armor and selling it made great money with that but then the undercutting sharks came in and ruined it. So now I just use real money buy a few tokens a week and sell them. Need to get rid of the 10 wow token limit per week or I'll never get the AH mount xD.

I was fishing for a while at the beginning of the xpac and made decent money doing that. What was nice was how common the mount drops were, I was getting and selling approx. 1 ray a day for 20-60k depending on the market.
I haven't done an awful lot of fishing since they nerfed the mount rates. Have you noticed that its consistent enough to be able to bank on getting and selling the mounts or nah?
I mine monelite, stormsilver, and platinum. I pick up older expansion ores when I see them doing my collection runs (though they don't sell like they used to, unfortunately) and pick up any assorted transmog pieces to sell for 50-100g a piece through direct trades (not the auction house, the AH fees aren't worth it. I just hop on the banker on occasion and see if anyone wants x armor class or y weapon type transmogs and sell cheap).

As an engineer I've also outfitted all my followers with monelite fish finders, which provide a decent stream of midnight salmon and other fish. The fish finders have paid for themselves.
World quests only give me any real gold when the 2k emissary is up, unlike Legion where I'd make 15k a day clearing every zone with follower gear.
All in all, I'm glad gold generation has been gutted this expansion. It requires you to actually trade gold and items with others instead of generating insane mission/quest gold that you acquired very passively.

Edit: Some advice that's worked for me with minimal effort - take whatever you find, send it to a bank alt, install Auctionator and run a full AH scan to see values, and just drag/drop/post everything in your bags. It'll automatically select a price for you that's slightly lower than the current minimal value, so be careful that something's not like a 20c piece of monelite or something.
You can still make a lot being and Herbalist and Alchamist (probably any gathering profession).

If you raid and get a BoE then you can make some quick coin.

Do all the Mythic old raids. (Except Legion as I don't know if anyone can solo those yet. If they can it is likely 1 or 2 classes) You get an okay amount of gold. Maybe do WoD and MoP.

Do old raids for pets which some still sell for a little bit.

One thing you could do which we used to do years ago, was to get a Normal Uldir group (if you are able to) from your server and... oh wait, I forgot there is no more ML so this won't work. I had a brain fart but what we did was on items that dropped, people would bid gold on each one and the highest bidder won. At the end of the run, the gold was split among everyone evenly.
11/07/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Orienn
Need to get rid of the 10 wow token limit per week or I'll never get the AH mount xD.

How much does it cost in real money to buy the mount via tokens?
11/07/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Sanctus

I was fishing for a while at the beginning of the xpac and made decent money doing that. What was nice was how common the mount drops were, I was getting and selling approx. 1 ray a day for 20-60k depending on the market.
I haven't done an awful lot of fishing since they nerfed the mount rates. Have you noticed that its consistent enough to be able to bank on getting and selling the mounts or nah?

I haven't caught one mount yet, I fish for 3 hrs on the coast of Storm Song and only caught frenzied fangtooth and a ton of snappers.
11/07/2018 01:51 PMPosted by Jubearlee
How much does it cost in real money to buy the mount via tokens?
Currently a WoW token is worth about 113,898 gold. You'd need to sell 44 (5m / 113.8k = 43.8989) tokens to have 5 million gold, so $880 USD (44 * $20USD = $880USD) .
Times are hard, friend. Mailbox dancing does not afford me the lifestyle it once did...
11/07/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Syward
5 million gold, so about $880 USD

haha WOOF even for someone with A Real !@# Job that's just comical to think someone would plop down 8 bills just to be able to not have to port to Storm/Org
5 million gold, so about $880 USD

haha WOOF even for someone with A Real !@# Job that's just comical to think someone would plop down 8 bills just to be able to not have to port to Storm/Org
Exactly. What's even crazier to me is that players will spend 5 million gold to not port to Storm/Org when that 5 million gold is worth about $660 (44*$15) USD that they can put on their battle.net account for their subscription, other games, etc.

I know that if I had 5 million gold to throw away, I wouldn't buy a mount, that would go directly to my battle.net account.