Want to unlock allied races...worried Blizz will cave

General Discussion
When I first heard about Allied Races, I thought it was a bit ridiculous that Blizzard would lock out something like this behind a grind. However, the more I've thought about it, the more I actually like it. Having awesome new races that take some work to unlock and are optional is actually kind of cool, especially considering that many of these Allied Races have some pretty good racial abilities. I wouldn't mind seeing Blizzard expand on this concept and add more Allied Races in future expansions.

So, I decided I'm going to grind for the next few months to unlock Void Elves and some of the other races, but at this point I'm just worried that it will all be for naught. Blizzard has caved to public criticism on issues like this in the past, and the last thing I want to do is spend the next few months grinding out rep to unlock these races, only for Blizzard to turn around a year from now or before the next expansion and make these races available to everyone.

Do you think it's likely that Blizzard reneges on their comments and eventually makes Allied Races available to everyone?
11/09/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Listen
at this point I'm just worried that it will all be for naught.

And for that reason they should never cave
They're already making moves to make it take roughly 1/2 as long across the board.

I've completed the requirements for all of the allied races (save for the highmountain unlock chain, which I just haven't bothered to do), and I would be happy to see them reduce or remove the requirements.

Like, it's literally all a waste of time. Everything I do in this game is a waste of time. If they remove the requirements, my time will not have been more wasted. It only makes the game more accessible to newer players, which is a problem the game already suffers from.
Screw that. Allied races should be locked only behind the quest line. These arbitrary rep grinds are ridiculous and I know for a fact that people are unsubbing over them. Several of my friends are gone because of it. Flying I can understand being time gated, but I know of too many players who want to play allied races as their main. Blizz is losing alot of money over this crap.
Not counting the races released during BFA's prime: They might cave, but I don't think it will be this expansion. The grind isn't even that bad when you compare it to every expansion prior to it. Class hall missions are easier to do, and the rep grind through emissaries and the questlines doesn't make it that bad. Within a month you could easily unlock both (at least for alliance), Horde have it even easier, Highmountain can be obtained in a few weeks, and Nightborne probably even less time, especially if youre doing it with a 120 character,

Wanna talk a bad rep grind? Let's talk Operation Shieldwall, Shat'ari Defense ect.
11/09/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Assistance
They're already making moves to make it take roughly 1/2 as long across the board.

Has this been officially announced? Do you have a link?
11/09/2018 11:44 AMPosted by Roargathor
Flying I can understand being time gated, but I know of too many players who want to play allied races as their main. Blizz is losing alot of money over this crap.

Right, and they're totally not losing more over flying being gated.
Since I have them all unlocked, pretty much guarantees that they will remove all the requirements eventually.
I doubt they will cave at this point. If they do it would probably just a dropping it to a revered requirement, essentially cutting the grind in half. It isn't the worst grind in the game but I agree at this point it isn't fun but it is playtime and that is the only metric they seem to care about.
11/09/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Listen
11/09/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Assistance

Has this been officially announced? Do you have a link?

It is official. I don't have a link handy, but they are doubling the rep gains from legion quests and are adding honorbound/7th legion rep to the war campaign quests.
It really doesn't matter what people who come after you get...you already got yours. For a longer time period than the new people.

I exalt my reputations anyway so I got the allied races naturally. Or so I thought - when I tried to make a Mag'orc (not that I really want one), it was grayed out. So I checked and apparently missed some questline - did all that the other nite and it's unlocked too. (Yay for something different to do.)

This is how it should be - you get the "bonus" things as you normally play the game or make a little effort to complete the requirements. If everything is in your mailbox when you log in, kinda defeats the purpose of even playing this game at all.
I've unlocked three already and I wouldn't care if they made them easier for the next person. :p

What else where you going to do with your time in game? Do some sort of questing right?

Do you actually want all the allies races? If not, don't worry to much about them. If you're a completionist, then wouldn't you be grinding the rep to max anyways?

That said, I don't feel they'll ever just GIVE them away. They may up the rep given to make it faster, but they'll likely always have a rep grind to them.
The content required to unlock most of them isn’t even current. Of course they’re going to make it more accessible down the road.

The current grind is there for those who want it sooner, which is fine.
Would be nice if they did. If not I don't see myself leveling an ally to 120 and play it for a month for dark iron then forget about that character. Imo with rep, Honorbound and 7th legion should at least be cross faction.
I feel that going through the entire quest line for these races is sufficient for many of them. Void-elves do not have much of a quest line though, which would make them exceptionally easy to unlock.

So I'd also introduce a rep requirement, but not exalted. I'd go with honored. Something to where you'd complete it by doing the longer quest lines, but for races that have little to do you'd have to work a little harder. Not hard enough that you'd spend days. Just a little further than the quest lines would grant upon completion.

I would not give the races away for nothing though. There should still be some requirement there.
I won't grind them on principle. I paid for BFA when they announced it to play a void elf. My bad I know for not researching it, but c'mon - across all my alts I have about 7X the needed rep to unlock them. Gating content behind reps should mean that if you are grinding that rep (on any toon) it should be cumulative. I put in just as much time as people who play 1 toon, but my time doesn't matter as much because I get to lvl cap and PvP? Allied races were the biggest bait and switch in WoW ever.