$10 VIP initial access - solve for sharding

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 9 Next
11/11/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Mogar
11/10/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Bandajo
now youre talking blizzard's language
Seriously. If you want them to consider not using sharding, make it profitable for them not to do that. And there's plenty of people who will pay extra for 'early access'.

$10 is way too cheap though. And the original Collector's pet is a terrible idea (let the people have their unique thing).

The intent is to provide a very tiny, temporary barrier to manage population flow during the initial couple of weeks.

A larger barrier will limit our population too much. There is power in population.
PTW.
11/10/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Thermiss
11/10/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Cerrberus
This creates problems more than anything else. If a Vanilla veteran wants to play with their non-Vanilla friends, they have to wait for wave 2, or wave 3 if they can't afford the VIP fee.

Are you serious? You BFA fainbois will argue anything. Getting the classic content at no cost whatsoever above what you were already paying is not enough, you have to have the added bonus of taking a big old poop on non retailers.

If vanilla veteran wants to play at the same time as their non vanilla veteran friends, they would merely need to wait till their friends could play.

How is this any different than shading? O wait it's worse, now you can't play with your friend at all until you pass this stupid barrier that some moron thinks is a good idea. The core aspect of removing shading is to get the community going from the start, and here you are advocating the removal of that community building.

Funny thing is you call people "tourists" and belittle them but at the same time talk about how awesome the community is going to be, its hypocritical.

Remember, at one point and time you where a tourist to and no doubt the community and the game it self made it worth staying, if you can't get over yourself your community is going to be just as garbage as retails is now.
11/12/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Namsnik

Are you serious? You BFA fainbois will argue anything. Getting the classic content at no cost whatsoever above what you were already paying is not enough, you have to have the added bonus of taking a big old poop on non retailers.

If vanilla veteran wants to play at the same time as their non vanilla veteran friends, they would merely need to wait till their friends could play.

How is this any different than shading? O wait it's worse, now you can't play with your friend at all until you pass this stupid barrier that some moron thinks is a good idea. The core aspect of removing shading is to get the community going from the start, and here you are advocating the removal of that community building.

Funny thing is you call people "tourists" and belittle them but at the same time talk about how awesome the community is going to be, its hypocritical.

Remember, at one point and time you where a tourist to and no doubt the community and the game it self made it worth staying, if you can't get over yourself your community is going to be just as garbage as retails is now.

I wish I could up vote this X 1000.
No need to "solve" anything for sharding, since it being in the game at launch for the overcrowded starting zones isn't a bad thing.
How about they release a number of servers (PVE, PVP, and RP), and players (all players) login and choose a server to play on. If you played vanilla, you'd remember that servers could become full, and have a wait time to access. Therefore any player can choose to play there, but they may have to wait in line to get on the server. This will cause players that aren't already committed to leveling on a specific server for whatever reason (guild/friends), to go back to the server list and choose to play on a server that does not have a wait time.

I just need to leave these forums again, because posts like this boggle my mind.
11/12/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Jimibob
How about they release a number of servers (PVE, PVP, and RP), and players (all players) login and choose a server to play on. If you played vanilla, you'd remember that servers could become full, and have a wait time to access. Therefore any player can choose to play there, but they may have to wait in line to get on the server. This will cause players that aren't already committed to leveling on a specific server for whatever reason (guild/friends), to go back to the server list and choose to play on a server that does not have a wait time.

I just need to leave these forums again, because posts like this boggle my mind.

Right, but how does that interact with allowing sharding :thinking:
I mean, did you play vanilla? (not trying to be a %@##!*!@). There was no sharding. When a new server came out, it was a mad house. That was a huge part of the draw to a new server. Why eliminate this with "Sharding"? Just so people can get through the first levels a bit faster? That whats makes the race to 60 fun, to see who managed to get out of the madhouse and get ahead and maintain their lead. Sharding just ruins that part of the game. A staggered wave of players, also ruins that portion of the game. Just go to the realm viewer and try and get on your server. If you can't, wait in line and then play. This is the vanilla way. I understand we are in a new generation and people have no patience, but I thought Blizzard was bringing back vanilla, not a shell of how vanilla used to be.
Not a good idea.

And 10$ isn’t really a paywall.
11/12/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Jimibob
I mean, did you play vanilla? (not trying to be a %@##!*!@). There was no sharding. When a new server came out, it was a mad house. That was a huge part of the draw to a new server. Why eliminate this with "Sharding"? Just so people can get through the first levels a bit faster? That whats makes the race to 60 fun, to see who managed to get out of the madhouse and get ahead and maintain their lead. Sharding just ruins that part of the game. A staggered wave of players, also ruins that portion of the game. Just go to the realm viewer and try and get on your server. If you can't, wait in line and then play. This is the vanilla way. I understand we are in a new generation and people have no patience, but I thought Blizzard was bringing back vanilla, not a shell of how vanilla used to be.

Maybe you should take a break, you seem a little high strung. I'm not in favor of sharding, but Blizzard is considering it. They say as a means to handle the short term load that will be caused by the pent up (and in many cases short lived) demand.

If caps alone could solve the problem, I'd be in favor of that, but there's a risk of creating dead servers by going that route. Again the big problem is the fact that much of the initial load will be from curious retail players getting access at no cost, but not interested in the game for the long term.

Time gating by an early access fee seems to offer a neat solution to both of these possible problems. It wasnt used in vanilla, but it was fairly common in MMOs of the day.

The big issue here is that a huge population of people are getting the game for free. Its a problem of Blizzard's own making - yet it is being used as the main defense for pursuing sharding.
Except when 90%+ wind up buying it. Whats that solve then?
Heck since everyone wants to just give blizz eztra money they may as well sell sequenced login slots to the highest bidder.

What's that classic world 1st login slot worth?
Shall we start the whales out at $500?
Do I here $500?
11/12/2018 08:30 AMPosted by Bandajo
11/12/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Jimibob

Maybe you should take a break, you seem a little high strung. I'm not in favor of sharding, but Blizzard is considering it. They say as a means to handle the short term load that will be caused by the pent up (and in many cases short lived) demand.

If caps alone could solve the problem, I'd be in favor of that, but there's a risk of creating dead servers by going that route. Again the big problem is the fact that much of the initial load will be from curious retail players getting access at no cost, but not interested in the game for the long term.

Time gating by an early access fee seems to offer a neat solution to both of these possible problems. It wasnt used in vanilla, but it was fairly common in MMOs of the day.

The big issue here is that a huge population of people are getting the game for free. Its a problem of Blizzard's own making - yet it is being used as the main defense for pursuing sharding.

So what if the servers fill up? So what if retail players jump in and leave? You are worried about the first maybe second week, maybe focus on the long haul.

I honestly don't get it. People like you are not setting the bar high for the Classic community and its sad. I have this feeling that classic is going to be a !@#$ show and not because of the game but because of this superiority complex some of you have.
11/12/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Padrepwn
Heck since everyone wants to just give blizz eztra money they may as well sell sequenced login slots to the highest bidder.

Do I here $500?

if 90% are willing to buy it at $10 (highly doubtful in my estimation) you could increase the cost, or lower the benefit. But if people are willing to spend some money then it makes them more likely to stick with it through the long term - that would also be good to know about and prepare foe.

The population that is the concern is the large number of curious short-term retail subs that are getting the game for free. When vanilla launched it didnt give a free trial to hundreds of thousands of people. These are the people most likely to shortly visit the game and cause the temporary load issues that are being given as the excuse for sharding.
11/12/2018 08:53 AMPosted by Namsnik

So what if the servers fill up? So what if retail players jump in and leave? You are worried about the first maybe second week, maybe focus on the long haul.

I honestly don't get it. People like you are not setting the bar high for the Classic community and its sad. I have this feeling that classic is going to be a !@#$ show and not because of the game but because of this superiority complex some of you have.

The reason I am focusing on the first few weeks, is because that is the time period on which sharding is being considered (at least for now). I believe that the long term success of Classic could be compromised if sharding is ever used.

I am trying to think of ways that sharding can be avoided. Delaying the free trial hundreds of thousands of retail subs are being given by a week seems like it has some promise.
Just thought of this. Yoy guys will love this one.
Blind bids for sequenced logins.
We send blizz whatever we think will get us a higher login spot.
Blizz then lists everyones login spot according to how high your blind bid was.
Identical amounts will be ordered by time stamp of payment received.
Nothing under $15. If you only send $15 this gives you general access. 6 months after the whales finish logging in.
That should give blizz plenty of extra money to develope retail.....oh wait...
They're a multi-billion dollar company they don't need anymore money than the revenue the launch will generate to make their parasitic shareholders happy. Hobbyists can run a server with out sharding but apparently Blizzard can not? What world are you living in.
11/12/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Bandajo
11/12/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Padrepwn

Do I here $500?

if 90% are willing to buy it at $10 (highly doubtful in my estimation) you could increase the cost, or lower the benefit. But if people are willing to spend some money then it makes them more likely to stick with it through the long term - that would also be good to know about and prepare foe.

The population that is the concern is the large number of curious short-term retail subs that are getting the game for free. When vanilla launched it didnt give a free trial to hundreds of thousands of people. These are the people most likely to shortly visit the game and cause the temporary load issues that are being given as the excuse for sharding.

Yes. 90%+ would probably pay extra to avoid the que and get a leg up on general admission scrubs.
Which will give you the exact same probelms.
Even if it's only 50%. It's still the exact same issue.
Except now the forums are lit up because people paid extra to avoid all of that.
Oh and now the general admission scrubs are carrying on about how this is p2w and blizz is a greedy corporation.
The only ones concerned about the "retail" rush seem to be the same ones who have been trying to segregate the player base.

At this point we are still short a lot of info. We can't do anything but speculate.
Who knows maybe classic releases when a super hyped live patch launches and we dont need sharding because there is no retail rush?

Maybe blizz allows logins based in the age of your account?
Maybe length of actually being subbed to wow allows their loyal paying players to log in first?

Maybe we all login at once and claw our way to the barrens!
Maybe we crash the server?

Whole lot of maybes and not enough concrete info to know for sure.
One thing I know for sure though.
Throwing money at a game dev to cut in line sounds like p2w.
Like I've said. This is why we have cash shops.
I agree we need to be looking at multiple possible solutions. But fmpov sharding threatens to ruin Classic from the start.

The point I want to stress is that much of the problem is caused by a shared sub with no box cost (the current plan).

Ideally Classic would have a separate sub, but I understand why they are not going that route. So we are left needing to find a way to mute the impact of a free trial for hundreds of thousands of people at the worst possible time.
Just to clarify on my previous post as to why I think something like this is better, my biggest fear with sharding is that blizzard somehow miscalculates something and requires sharding more and more as time goes on. This would be catastrophic. If they don't use it at launch IMO it drastically lowers the odds they would use it later. I don't buy that the community would be ruined at launch if there were 150 people in each starting zone due to sharding instead of 500 without it. Most of the community aspects come from dungeons and guilds etc, and not from the first 10 levels lol.
11/12/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Namsnik

I remember being a tourist quite well back in vanilla. I also remember that there was a box cost to become a tourist.

Your pearl clutching about the classic community being toxic is laughable, coming from a retail player.