$10 VIP initial access - solve for sharding

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
11/10/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Charax
One of the big issues with the Classic launch is that it will be overrun by short-term tourists bonking lazy peons, and Blizzard seems pretty set to use its controversial and sinister Sharding tech to stabilize things.

Proposal

To create a temporary barrier to these short-term tourists, Blizzard could offer a $10 VIP that would allow us sole access to the Classic servers for two weeks. That should make the initial launch populations more reasonable and perhaps Blizzard would also get a better handle on the required number of servers based on this “semi-hard core” interest.

Those willing to pay for this perk would also get access to one of the original Collector’s Edition pets (Mini Diablo - would be funny if it was clutching an iphone, ha! -, Panda Cub or Zergling).

Thoughts?

No. More No. Even more No. Just no.
11/13/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Brokenwind
11/13/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Faceroll
This idea won’t work. The VIPs will settle on the same “few” servers which will then be to max capacity and Blizzard will still use sharding. Just on a smaller set of servers. It does nothing to reduce population concerns or sharding. And once the rest of the playerbase come in you’ll have the same problems again on the other servers. End result is the same.

Some of us are more concerned with long term population and community than we are sharding itself. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with people who have skin in the game to settle on "few" servers that will remain population-healthy.

It absolutely helps alleviate population concerns. Handwaving that as you do does not make it not true. The "same problem on other servers" is the exact thing many of us want to be shielded from, it is the whole point of this idea.

You and other minimizing MILLIONS of accounts being gifted classic access and then gleefully arguing against ideas to minimize the damage of such a wave/bloat is concerning. But you know that and it is why you and others are against such protections.

11/13/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Thèón
So you have no evidence of me trolling other than me disagreeing. Im bored of retail and waiting for Classic. My $15 is a sub for classic and retails sub is a free bonus for me.

And we are asking that either temporarily or long term, classic have the same type of access fee that BFA enjoys. We've been very clear about why we want it.

Just buy the existing sub and you get 2 versions of WoW for the price of Classic. If you think a Classic sub is going only to Classic development and nothing elsethen you are wrong.
11/13/2018 08:01 AMPosted by Thèón
If you think a Classic sub is going only to Classic development and nothing elsethen you are wrong.

I chuckle to think that you took effort to flail around battling a strawman of something that was nowhere in my post remotely mentioned, while completely ignoring this part of it:
And we are asking that either temporarily or long term, classic have the same type of access fee that BFA enjoys. We've been very clear about why we want it. You've given no evidence as to why BFA should have an access fee but not classic.
11/13/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Brokenwind
11/13/2018 08:01 AMPosted by Thèón
If you think a Classic sub is going only to Classic development and nothing elsethen you are wrong.

I chuckle to think that you took effort to flail around battling a strawman of something that was nowhere in my post remotely mentioned, while completely ignoring this part of it:
And we are asking that either temporarily or long term, classic have the same type of access fee that BFA enjoys. We've been very clear about why we want it. You've given no evidence as to why BFA should have an access fee but not classic.

Funny how you edit all your posts after I make my responses to make it seem like I have no idea what I'm talking about. That bit you say I didn't acknowledge? You edited it in after I made my post.

[/quote]And we are asking that either temporarily or long term, classic have the same type of access fee that BFA enjoys. We've been very clear about why we want it.[/quote]

Here is your original post. Before you edited it to make me seem like I have no idea what I'm talking about. I addressed what was in it, not what you added after I responded. I chuckle that you put in the effort to change your post to something different AFTER I responded to it. All because I said retail WoW is harder than Vanilla WoW. It is. You have yet to show me proof that Vanilla was harder than retail is. No wonder why people say the Classic community is toxic.
11/13/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Thèón
You have yet to show me proof that Vanilla was harder than retail is. No wonder why people say the Classic community is toxic.

This thread has seen nobody make such a claim and it has nothing to do with the thread. Go create a new thread on that subject rather than repeatedly attempting to derail this one.

We are asking that either temporarily or long term, classic have the same type of access fee that BFA enjoys. We've been very clear about why we want it. You've given no evidence as to why BFA should have an access fee but not classic.
11/13/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Brokenwind
11/13/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Thèón
You have yet to show me proof that Vanilla was harder than retail is. No wonder why people say the Classic community is toxic.

This thread has seen nobody make such a claim and it has nothing to do with the thread. Go create a new thread on that subject rather than repeatedly attempting to derail this one.

We are asking that either temporarily or long term, classic have the same type of access fee that BFA enjoys. We've been very clear about why we want it. You've given no evidence as to why BFA should have an access fee but not classic.

I already said that what I think about the fees. Try reading it. And I said something along the lines of "Why pay for an easier version of the game we already have." To which you called me a troll and didn't back up your claim.
11/13/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Thèón
11/13/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Brokenwind

I already said that what I think about the fees. Try reading it. And I said something along the lines of "Why pay for an easier version of the game we already have." To which you called me a troll and didn't back up your claim.

You still have what you paid for back when you began. It changed over time, as you agreed to before you first logged in. What you paid for back then is now current retail.

You did not buy classic. Classic is not what you paid for back then.
the point is retail has a barrier from classic trolls or people with no interest in actually playing BFA...there is a fee for the xpac, right?

all the trolls that are bored and do not like classic have no barrier to entry for classic....it is FREE to just walk right in on opening day.

so yes, starting zones will be over-populated and this gives excuse supposedly for Actiblizz to shard...SHARD! The community that pushed for classic will need to deal with trolls AND sharding for what reason? to accomodate a LOT of people just waiting to troll or take a quick peek and leave.... this is FACT. just look at the endless sea of troll threads posted in this forum! even their own moderators dump pointless troll threads from general into this forum like its the dumping grounds.

honestly, at this point the start already seems suspect with what sharding could possibly do....am i going to only see 10 other people in the starting zone? 5? 20? and how many of them are there just there to annoy and ruin the experience? how many are there with no real interest long term? private server launches will potentially/probably be more blizz-like than what cloud-server blizz already has planned.

it isnt difficult to understand...classic players want to start off with other players who actually wanna play classic. not trolls, opening day tourists, and "sharding is great" knuckleheads who are actively selling classic's soul.

chaos and tons of people overloaded in a zone or two is more exciting than seeing 10 people quickly questing or trolling on opening day/week. it should be slow. it makes it more entertaining and satisfying when you make some progress. you guys do not get it. talk to the person next to you waiting for a spawn, or better yet join them...or make a group that quests through the first area! OMG! What a concept, make new friends! tell a joke! do a dance!
As an adult with a well paying job I would personally hope this is $100 not ten. I would like to ensure that we really limit it.
11/13/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Cstain
As an adult with a well paying job I would personally hope this is $100 not ten. I would like to ensure that we really limit it.

I wish. Well worth the price for an old game.
Heres an idea. Let opening zones seem completely full. Some of us are looking forward to this.
I'd like to see it raised to $500 if we're serious about keeping out the riff-raff.
11/13/2018 12:16 PMPosted by Valhalian
Heres an idea. Let opening zones seem completely full. Some of us are looking forward to this.

OMG this x Million

there's a reason ps launches are the most exciting time of a server's life. It is super exciting with tons of people everywhere grouping, fighting over mobs, etc etc.

There is a reason ps launches are ALWAYS busy. because it is fun!

Blizz, please do not neuter your launch with sharding us into small numbers. BORING. ZZZZZZzzzz.....you will be committing suicide.
11/13/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Rokkidrood
I'd like to see it raised to $500 if we're serious about keeping out the riff-raff.

totally unnecessary...even 5 bucks would keep out people/trolls like you.
Thoughts?

Calling them tourists is disrespectful.

You've given no evidence as to why BFA should have an access fee but not classic.

BfA is an expansion. Classic is a server type. You have to have a subscription to play Classic -- and the sub goes up to Legion. You don't have to buy BfA at all.

There won't be any gatekeeping on Classic. Anyone who pays the sub will be able to play. You don't like that. What you like doesn't matter.

Take your ball and go home, already.
11/13/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Idun
BfA is an expansion. Classic is a server type

Ah... "server type" (with 60 levels of unique content not in retail, completely different gameplay, different developers and completely separate client)
BFA is 10 levels and has a box cost. Sorry, your calling it "server type" holds no water.
11/13/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Majin
Thoughts?

Calling them tourists is disrespectful.

Why? It’s an apt description for people visiting something like a Classic realm for a short duration only to return to their QoL slop they call home.

“Tourist” is not a bad word.
11/13/2018 07:31 AMPosted by Thèón
Why pay extra for an easier and older version of the game we have now?

That’s the whole idea of this thread, chief. It’s to dissuade people that enjoy the QoL retail slop from gumming up our servers and having Blizzard implement their sharding garbage to accomodate them.

I certainly want some of these tourist “why should I pay extra”? Don’t. You weren’t planning on being part of the community anyways.