Gearing for Timewalking

General Discussion
Is BFA gear better than TBC raid gear for timewalking? Just wondering since our gear scales down. If not, I'm going to get to running those old raids for some TBC sets.
All old set bonuses are disabled as far as I know.
Old set bonuses are all gone. Legion legendaries work even if you're over level 116. The WoD rings work, the legendary one is nerfed, but the epic ring that's one step below still procs. The MoP cloak apparently works, though I dont have it. Artifact weapons are still drained. Legendary weapons still work, so it's reported.
The only tier sets that haven't had their bonuses disabled are Legion's. Tier from two or more expansions earlier is disabled.

You can however use old legendaries (Legion, MoP cloak, etc), as well as any other items with effects that haven't been outright disabled.
Gear with sockets tends to be better. I haven't done the math on it or anything but I'm guessing that ditching your azerite stuff for gear with 3 sockets from MoP is probably a pretty significant gain.

You can find gear with guaranteed sockets in almost every slot, wear legendaries in everything else, and grab some trinkets that used to be broken (mirror for DPS from hellfire citadel for example, or garrosh trinket) and that's the optimal timewalking gear.
Legion legendaries work even if you're over level 116.

Stats yes , procs and benefits, no.

After 116 all Legion legendaries are for stats alone.
11/13/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Aehl

I think they mean in timewalking dungeons, because the procs and bonuses work in those.
A guildy told me there were some rings that dropped in TW that had agility on them for a dps/tank monk those would probably be really good, gonna try to get them.

Incorrect. In a TW dungeon/raid, your level is scaled down as well, the procs/abilities work in that content. Was using mine in BT, they go off as intended.
Using the Warglaive of Azzinoth/ Warglaive of Azzinoth helps me with the BC TW event.

Incorrect. In a TW dungeon/raid, your level is scaled down as well, the procs/abilities work in that content. Was using mine in BT, they go off as intended.

11/13/2018 11:17 PMPosted by Gambacha
A guildy told me there were some rings that dropped in TW that had agility on them for a dps/tank monk those would probably be really good, gonna try to get them.

The TW rings/necks have agi on them, but not near as much secondary stats or stam. That was the tradeoff for losing mainstat on jewelry.

I stand corrected and I thank you. :)
I run az chest/shoulders, but besides those everything else is either from MoP with lots of sockets/enchants or legion legendaries. In BC, the warglaive set bonuses still work, but the rogue dagger set bonus doesnt (and you cant use them for outlaw, anyway)

The only reason I run 2x azerite pieces is because deadshot is insanely OP. 2x deadshot, pistol shot bracers, single target dmg ring, and the pistol shot talent can put out 8-9k pistol shot crits. Meanwhile my average dps is 1-1.5k single target.

I'm sure there are similarly broken combos for other classes, but that's what I do for outlaw. Its insane

Your not 116, your 70. I use 2 legion legendaries and the mace from uldaar as a healer.