Ion being contradictory about World First?

General Discussion
So apparently today Ion said the team loves watching the World First race.

But yesterday in the Q&A, Ion said that the dev team doesn't care about the World First race, so if the Battle of Dazar'alor ends up with different final bosses for each faction, it doesn't matter, and it'll be up to players to decide what "World First" actually matters. (And yes, I'm also aware he said that they may end up making it so all the bosses will end up the same order regardless of faction, but they aren't sure yet)

I don't even care about World First, but isn't that like, seriously contradictory? You either care or you don't care about World First, but apparently Ion both cares and doesn't care about it in a 12 hour time frame of one another???
We'd actually have to know if he watched the world first race or just said he watched it.
You can like watching the world first competition without being influenced by it as a developer.
10/12/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Uglydeluxe
You can like watching the world first competition without being influenced by it as a developer.

This.

We love that the community rallies around World Firsts as this is a community created thing that became so popular, but when he says that we don't care about it he's just saying that we don't design with it in mind. It's a very niche thing as well as a niche type of player. We're talking about a less than .1% of players that even set foot inside the current raid tier at Mythic level that would even be competing for these World Firsts.

Like Ion said in the Q&A we design encounters in the way that we feel would be the best experience. We might be wrong sometimes but that's the goal and we try to hit that.
I think he was pretty clear and non contradictory. In the next raid the Alliance or the Horde path may turn out easier. They aren’t going to abandon this general raid concept just because this may influence the world first race. Pretty straight forward. For the rest of us mortals the difference will be inconsequential.
Like Ion said in the Q&A we design encounters in the way that we feel would be the best experience.

You should try that for the whole game next.
10/12/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Ythisens

This.

We love that the community rallies around World Firsts as this is a community created thing that became so popular, but when he says that we don't care about it he's just saying that we don't design with it in mind. It's a very niche thing as well as a niche type of player. We're talking about a less than .1% of players that even set foot inside the current raid tier at Mythic level that would even be competing for these World Firsts.

Like Ion said in the Q&A we design encounters in the way that we feel would be the best experience. We might be wrong sometimes but that's the goal and we try to hit that.

But haven't you, in the past, held back implementing fixes or balance changes so as not to skew the World First race? Basically making the vast majority of your player base wait until less than .1% of them finish their epeen contest?

This.

You might not want to contradict yourself in your response in a post about condradictory information. You say you love that the community, which is representative of the player base at large, rallies around the world firsts because it's popular...but then go on to say it's a very niche thing for a very niche type of player. If the community, again being representative of the playerbase at large, cared then mythic raid representation would reflect that.

I mean, I don't even agree with the OP's post because it's nitpicky and splitting hairs, but c'mon, barely a fraction of the community tunes in for world firsts and Blizzard has always been the driving factor behind world firsts being a race and promoted it since Molten Core and An'Qiraj.
10/12/2018 02:42 PMPosted by Saevok
Basically making the vast majority of your player base wait until less than .1% of them finish their epeen contest?

Stated as though the remaining percentage would be even close to being affected by said change with their progression.
10/12/2018 01:35 PMPosted by Maizou
But yesterday in the Q&A, Ion said that the dev team doesn't care about the World First race,

Nooo , that's not what they said
World first has always been a community driven activity. Them liking it doesn;t change that fact
Its the players that supervises how the world first race is being carried out.
isn't there an feat of strength for getting world first? if so that's hardly "player created" or server first.
We might be wrong sometimes

Try all the time.
There should be an asterisk next to world first. A bunch of folks already beat those bosses on the PTR way before them.
I mean if I were a WoW Dev?!

I'd sure as heck enjoy watching player progression through mythic. It's gotta be pretty cool.

I'll bag on Ion and the Dev team for quite a few things this expac.

Like... "Stop hating tanks you nerds!"

But for this? Nah.
10/12/2018 02:43 PMPosted by Deklend
This.

You might not want to contradict yourself in your response in a post about condradictory information. You say you love that the community, which is representative of the player base at large, rallies around the world firsts because it's popular...but then go on to say it's a very niche thing for a very niche type of player. If the community, again being representative of the playerbase at large, cared then mythic raid representation would reflect that.

I mean, I don't even agree with the OP's post because it's nitpicky and splitting hairs, but c'mon, barely a fraction of the community tunes in for world firsts and Blizzard has always been the driving factor behind world firsts being a race and promoted it since Molten Core and An'Qiraj.

I tried but I can't find any contradiction is his post. He said that the community rallies around it and thats a good thing. Then he said that a very small group of players actually steps foot in mythic world first type situations. Which is very true.
10/12/2018 02:43 PMPosted by Deklend
This.

There's nothing contradictory in his post. World firsts are niche in terms of the number of people competing for them, but popular in terms of the number of people following along with them.

This.

i wish you wouldnt validate stupid topics like this
10/12/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Fradagar
I tried but I can't find any contradiction is his post. He said that the community rallies around it and thats a good thing. Then he said that a very small group of players actually steps foot in mythic world first type situations. Which is very true.

Exactly. There is no contradiction.

Community = lots of players who enjoy watching the World First races.
.1% = the actual raiders doing the World First content.

He said basically that most people are not pro-athletes, but the sports community loves watching them play.

Exactly the same thing.

This.

Just make a raid around Emperor Crush. :)
10/12/2018 02:42 PMPosted by Saevok
<span class="truncated">...</span>
This.

But haven't you, in the past, held back implementing fixes or balance changes so as not to skew the World First race? Basically making the vast majority of your player base wait until less than .1% of them finish their epeen contest?

Can you give an example of something that was not fixed purely to not skew the World First rate, which also held back the vast majority of the player base?