Why the demand for ghost iron bars

Professions
I have been gathering ghost iron ore lately and selling the bars for a decent price. I was wondering why people are buying them, not that I am complaining. I have heard in the past that some people with blacksmithing make some of the MOP armor and sell it for transmog. I am a bit skeptical, since there are plenty of other plate transmog available (like the tyrant set I am wearing).

I don't think it's for the sky golem (engineering) since that takes living steel if I recall, and living steel prices are tracking below ghost iron bars.
There are a lot of people leveling allied races right now & professions on those new characters as well, so I imagine people are needing it for the Pandaria tier. :-)
Are people actually bothering with earlier profession tiers? Seems to be pretty expensive unless you are going to make something to sell. I did a little more looking, and there are weapons that can be made with lightning steel, which requires going to Isle of thunder. These weapons seem pretty pricey but maybe some people buy them. Hey, I mostly use Emil's Blade myself, a quest reward.
Ghost Iron Bars are used by engineers in the recipe for Jard's Peculiar Energy Source, which is the daily craft needed to make the Sky Golem, the mount that everyone (and their brother, sister, mother, and father, and extended family) use to farm herbs while mounted.
It's for the sky golem and the jewelcrafting mounts.
I actually picked up Engineering to make the Sky Golem, it is currently profitable on my server, for now. With my luck, it will drop in price by the time I sell mine (in 28 days). Just for the record, the SKy Golem uses 30 of the Jard's Peculiar Energy Source, and 30 Living Steel. Each of the Jards things is 10 Ghost Iron Bars, so the whole thing requires 300 ghost iron bars over a 1 month period. I considered picking up Alchemy on a toon, but decided it was better to just buy living steel right off the auction house instead of making them from ghost iron bars. SO, this may be some of the demand but not much of it. I suspect Blacksmithing people are buying a ton. Oh, I did use several hundred ghost iron bars to level Pandaria Engineering from 1 to 75. As far as the JC mount, I think that use gems mostly, which might cause price of ghost iron ore to go up, but not bars.
As one who recently bought like 50 stacks of ghost iron ore. It's for living steel and sky golems
If u don’t want those bars u know can send them my way 4 days away from another sky golem
Sky golem, but also you need to level Pandaria engineering to 25 in order to use nitro boosts and goblin glider tinkers.

So even for engineers who don't have the sky golem recipe there is still some small demand.

And there are quite a few people out there who literally only take engineering to get access to nitro boosts.
The sky golem mount can sell for 100k + gold, so if you have the professions on your toons to make it, it’s just a matter of some matt farming
I think they are also used in goblin gilders which I know horde uses the heck out of them due to their city.
10/22/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Althir
I think they are also used in goblin gilders which I know horde uses the heck out of them due to their city.
so jealous of boralus... everything is RIGHT THERE! No fp needed!
10/22/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Althir

I think you are right about the Goblin Glider Tinker from Mists, which is engineering only. However the Goblin Glider Kit that the horde relies on is from WoD and uses black iron ore I believe.
On my server at least, it's just as effective to mine ghost iron, sells the bars, and then buy living steel. (I did some figuring assuming a 20% proc rate for transmutation master alchemy) I occasionally hear somebody with Alchemy saying that they had a bunch of cheap spirits of harmony, and that's why they were making Living Steel. I wanted to point out that spirits of harmony can be used to buy ghost iron ore, so the question is still whether is it better to make your own living steel using ghost iron bars, or sell the ghost iron bars and buy the LS from somebody else.
However the Goblin Glider Kit that the horde relies on is from WoD and uses black iron ore I believe.

True iron and sumptuous fur.
The reason it’s expensive is because no one wants to go Panderia to mine it. Engineers need Ghost Iron to reach a certain level to use goblin glider. Sky Golem Mount, etc. Also, since level boosting is available, less people are leveling which in turn - leads to less people going to Panderia.

You think Ghost Iron is bad.. look at the price for Cobalt bars.
10/30/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Nawzy
The reason it’s expensive is because no one wants to go Panderia to mine it. Engineers need Ghost Iron to reach a certain level to use goblin glider. Sky Golem Mount, etc. Also, since level boosting is available, less people are leveling which in turn - leads to less people going to Panderia.

You think Ghost Iron is bad.. look at the price for Cobalt bars.

This, people will pay for convenience, and the funny thing with transmog,
something we would never consider wearing/using ourselves, someone else will actually buy it.
A lot of the pandaria crafted stuff has to get learnt through daily cooldowns,
so mats needed for those, and a lot of the crafted gear sets and weapons do still sell well (Obviously varies by server, but a nice little earner for those into crafting).
Mats used for pets and ESPECIALLY mounts (esp. those that are not BoP) tend to sell well. I've suggested a guildie who is constantly whining about lack of gold, to just stick a toon on a Halfhill Farm and grow ore. Unfortunately, that seems beyond this person's capabilities. >.< /sigh
Making mounts like Sky Golem are still useful. They take Living Steel which you need ghost iron to make (via xmutes to trillium then to living steel).
Watch the price of Sky Golems though. The price of them (and ghost iron bars) has been falling on my server. Another thing to watch is the price of Spirits of Harmony/Motes of Harmony. A SOH can buy a stack of 20 ghost iron ore, so if the price is low enough relative to ghost iron bars, you can buy SOH, make ghost iron bars and sell for a nice profit. This used to be a good play on my server but not as good any more.