So confused on lore

General Discussion
I've been playing this game since 2005, off and on. I consider myself a fan of fantasy and science-fiction.

I would like to request a good read or two that explains the entire lore of the Warcraft world, because honestly I have no clue what's going on lore wise ever. I mean, all I can really gather is Alliance and Horde fighting, something something Anduin, Thrall, Garrosh, Gul'dan, Forsaken Lich King, Old Gods, flying cities, mage tower something something.

Please help.

Tree burning, angry people. Something something.
10/18/2018 10:15 AMPosted by Sunderstorm
I've been playing this game since 2005, off and on. I consider myself a fan of fantasy and science-fiction.

I would like to request a good read or two that explains the entire lore of the Warcraft world, because honestly I have no clue what's going on lore wise ever. I mean, all I can really gather is Alliance and Horde fighting, something something Anduin, Thrall, Garrosh, Gul'dan, Forsaken Lich King, Old Gods, flying cities, mage tower something something.

Please help.

Find a Wikia site and read the lore from the beginning. There's sites out there with pretty good timelines for the entire Warcraft Universe.
10/18/2018 10:15 AMPosted by Sunderstorm

Please help.

Blizzard has these books for sale if you want to know whats going on.
To be fair the lore has been changed and retconned a bit through actions of time travel, both in game and in the novels, so in several cases where there are multiple variations on what actually happened.

Nobbel87 videos but he still hasn't covered everything in the lore but at least you can listen to them like you'd listen to any podcast. The Chronicles series covers quite a bit and are great if you want coffee table books but are a bit pricey if you just want lore details.

The novels are more or less canon so they can be a great way to get certain storylines in a more narrative form -- unforunately WC3 was never novelized but you can also watch the collection of cut scenes/cinematics from the earlier WC games to get an idea of what happened.

I didn't know much about the lore myself until I started watching Nobbel's video, listening to a bunch of audiobooks and then reading wiki articles to fill in some of the blanks.
You can pick up the Chrocicles books. There are three volumes now that span the creation of the universe to the end of Cataclysm. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

Volume 1 covers the creation of the universe, event, and cultures to just before the events of Warcraft 1.

Volume 2 covers the First and Second wars and the destruction of Draenor.

Volume 3 covers the events that led to the Third War all the way to the end of Cataclysm.
10/18/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Howlback
You can pick up the Chrocicles books. There are three volumes now that span the creation of the universe to the end of Cataclysm. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

Volume 1 covers the creation of the universe, event, and cultures to just before the events of Warcraft 1.

Volume 2 covers the First and Second wars and the destruction of Draenor.

Volume 3 covers the events that led to the Third War all the way to the end of Cataclysm.

Thank you I will do this.
10/18/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Actasanc
To be fair the lore has been changed and retconned a bit through actions of time travel, both in game and in the novels, so in several cases where there are multiple variations on what actually happened.

Nobbel87 videos but he still hasn't covered everything in the lore but at least you can listen to them like you'd listen to any podcast. The Chronicles series covers quite a bit and are great if you want coffee table books but are a bit pricey if you just want lore details.

The novels are more or less canon so they can be a great way to get certain storylines in a more narrative form -- unforunately WC3 was never novelized but you can also watch the collection of cut scenes/cinematics from the earlier WC games to get an idea of what happened.

I didn't know much about the lore myself until I started watching Nobbel's video, listening to a bunch of audiobooks and then reading wiki articles to fill in some of the blanks.

Yes, this exactly. Depending on what site you go to, you find fragmented pieces of lore and they are all chopped up with time travel. I'll check out the Chronicles books. Thanks!
Okay

Lothar died to a horde ambush while discussing terms of peace with the horde.

And if anyone tells you otherwise they are liars and scoundrels
There are some good YouTube channels out there, as well. Nobbel87 comes to mind.
I actually feel bored enough to stay awake for the next ~10 hours to get my sleeping schedule on track and type out an immense list of Lore from beginning to at leeeeast Cataclysm or so... But I know some ninja warriors are going to shoot down or correct me on a few things, so it's best that I not even get started, haha.

Basically though, I will say this much:

Warcraft takes place in it's own Universe (duh) with multiple varying timelines. We're actively going through our timeline (also duh), while we are currently mixed in with alternate-Draenor's timeline via Garrosh and the Iron Horde's meddling. The ultimate beginning of the story began an eon ago chronologically, when Sargeras, a Titan, basically the Gods of the Universe, was still a member of The Pantheon; Think Greek Gods sitting on a bunch of thrones here in a Round Table sort of manner.

The Pantheon seek to perfect the Universe, and Sargeras was basically the long arm of the Law; A protector more than anything, but of the entire Universe. One day, he saw that creatures born entirely of the Void it self, which exist in another Universe altogether, actually had a way to enter our Universe--Through the corruption of the living (and I believe it is implied here: Mortals.) So, he leaves the Pantheon and creates the Burning Crusade with the singular goal of wiping clean existence, to prevent those of the Void from entering our Universe.

The Pantheon, minus Sargeras of course, didn't really seem to be bothered much by this in my own opinion. I don't think much lore exists on their feelings of him leaving, and upsetting cosmic balance. I have not personally run in to much lore in that regard. However, in the ending of Legion, the Pantheon forcibly recalls Sargeras back to his seat at the Pantheon with the declaration, "Your Crusade ends now!"

Back on track, the Pantheon (again, minus Sargeras at this time), encounters Azeroth as they are going about shaping and molding the Universe. Upon arrival, they find the existence of the Old Gods--Beings technically as powerful as the Pantheon it self, with the additive bonus of being neigh immortals, and virtually unkillable to boot. Their lives, the Old Gods, are tied directly to that of Azeroth 'herself'. I believe it is when they were finished imprisoning the Old Gods, so that they might not interfere with the mortal creations of Azeroth, to allow life to flourish, the Pantheon created the Titan Watchers, the Mechagnomes, etc, and various facilities such as (the Raid as we know it) Ulduar, so that they would have a link/connection to Azeroth, and would one day likely return to Azeroth if certain conditions were met (and most likely under negative reasons for returning.)

Fast forward many years after this, there's events like the First, Second and Third War which are immense events. The tainting of the Sunwell. The War of the Ancients... Ah, there's a lot of warring... Most of it because of the Burning Legion, if I am not mistaken. (Azeroth is one of the last bastions of hope, essentially.)

One of the major events that happens that you ought to be intimately familiar with, as it ties in to almost any and all battles between the Horde and Alliance in any scenario, is when the Fel-infused Orcs invaded Azeroth through the Dark Portal. Medivh was the Guardian of Azeroth at the time, but was corrupt with Fel. He aided Gul'dan, I believe, in opening a stable Dark Portal and allowed the Orcs through. After a war that left much of Azeroth in tears, the Orcs were repelled and imprisoned in internment camps. Thrall was one such Orc; He had no technical name he knew of at the time, hence his Azerothian-given name of 'Thrall' instead of his Orcish name of Go'el.

Thrall, later freed from imprisonment by means of a'la Bronze Dragonflight interference, leaves camp under the veil of night sort of scenario, along with other Orcs, and ventures out in to what is later taken over and dubbed as 'Durotar'. They found Orgrimmar and make peace with the nearby Trolls. Later also recruit the Tauren, and eventually befriend and accept the Forsaken in to their ranks.

From there, more war. And some crazy stuff that goes on that'd take further explanation that you can honestly see via playing the game and just asking a few questions here and there probably in Trade Chat~ :P
The entirety of Warcraft can be summed up thusly;

"It's all the Night Elves' fault"
the lore of the game has lost all credibility the moment the writer's threw out continuity. (which they have went on record saying)

Knowing this and still want to get into the lore? I recommend checking out Nobbel's channel on youtube. He has a plethora of lore videos that are all enjoyable to watch.
Chronicles are good.

I also recommend Nobbel. Certain novels would also help; at least read through the War of the Ancients trilogy, Lord of the Clans, the Last Guardian, Rise of the Lich King, and the Cata one... Prelude to the Shattering, I think? That'll get you up through Cata.

And honestly, go find someone's playthrough of WC2 and WC3. I think Wowcrendor did both but they're both out there. I still love watching those from time to time, especially WC3.
Finally, the author George RR Martin has revealed the secret of “Game Of Thrones”: it’s all one gigantic metaphor for the threat of climate change. Or at least that’s what he decided in the course of an interview with various New York Times staffers.
There's a ton of wiki pages and countless books.

Youtube also has countless videos going over all the lore and entire explanations of specific characters.
10/18/2018 10:55 AMPosted by Ðianyx
the lore of the game has lost all credibility the moment the writer's threw out continuity. (which they have went on record saying)

Agreed, WoD just crushed my enthusiasm for WoW's story. And then to have enjoyed Legion so much it just burns me that the story is connected with WoD at all.

Anyway, Nobbel87's vids are pretty good.
10/18/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Kakurine
There's a ton of wiki pages and countless books.

Youtube also has countless videos going over all the lore and entire explanations of specific characters.

I think this is the problem. There's over saturation from so many sources that are all jarbled up. Is there a series of cannon books with an official starting point? I'm going to pick up the Chronicles soon, that seems to be general consensus for a nice coffee table book(s).
Nobbel87 has a youtube channel devoted to lore.

The world of warcraft chronicles 3 covers everything from vanilla to cataclysm.
10/19/2018 01:43 PMPosted by Narakulock
Nobbel87 has a youtube channel devoted to lore.

The world of warcraft chronicles 3 covers everything from vanilla to cataclysm.

Also Dorans Movies and I quite like Gongrongzong aswell.