Two Unavailable Race Class Combos That Make Me Say, "Really?"

General Discussion
Personally I think allied races are the best way to add more race+class combos, since it adds avenues to do so without breaking existing lore. Troll paladins are a great example of this – makes sense for the Zandalari, but it doesn’t jive with Darkspear culture at all.

I still don’t think night elves should be mages… they should’ve held off on that until adding the Shen’dralar/Highborne as an allied race, keeping Night Elves as the purely druidic branch of elven lineage.
Draenei Warlock.

Demons, fel energies, a notorious Orc Warlock and his demon masters were all responsible for enslaving the Orc race and massacring those that opposed. It was a genocide. When Thrall was reforming the Horde in Warcraft III, he was dead against having Warlocks around and he even had us kill off a bunch of Orc Warlocks that were causing issues in Durotar.

Come World of Warcraft, Thrall suddenly decides that Orc Warlocks are permitted to join the Horde as long as they put the Horde first. The long-lived Draenei experienced similar issues with their own kind turning on their own people when Warlocks, demonic energy and demons came into the mix. For some reason, a double standard is held against the Draenei, who are a far more benevolent and forgiving race than the Orcs, and are unable to have Warlocks join their ranks. They experienced enslavement and genocide by felbound members of their own people and their demon masters, same as the Orcs... yet the Orcs allowed their people to join the Horde and remain Warlocks because reasons.

If the Orcs, who are just as easily corruptible as Humans, can shake off their horrid past and allow Warlocks into their fold... the Draenei should be able to do the same. After all, we do know that Velen is merciful and forgiving; going so far as to nearly beat us to death when we were fighting Rakeesh after realizing that he was his son, begging us to stop. While Draenei Warlocks conflict with the Draenei faction's belief in the light and the Naaru, the Draenei are still Eredar and their race. With Sargeras currently imprisoned and the Legion supposedly defeated for the time being, there HAVE to be some surviving Eredar out there that could join the Draenei as Sargerei defectors. Like Thrall, I don't see it being unreasonable for Velen to allow the defectors to return to their families, rejoin their people and continue practicing as a Warlock because that is what they know.

This all could have been avoided if Blizzard gave us the Broken instead of the Lightforged Draenei. I would have gladly settled for the Broken, seeing as how they would be able to be Warlocks and Rogues, giving up the Paladin class in return. They would have had much more interesting class-race combinations than the Lightforged Draenei, who can become all of the classes that the Draenei can... just less of them.

I will never, ever understand why Blizzard thought it was a better idea to go with the Lightforged Draenei over the Broken.
10/18/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Kyrgiakos
Male Blood Elf Warrior, when will this one be available?

They're available. Your sexist joke isn't funny.

10/18/2018 10:35 PMPosted by Xerash
Draenei Warlock.

I can see MAN'ARI Warlock if they ever get added, but not Draenei.
10/18/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Nethdan
10/18/2018 05:34 PMPosted by Pharsalus
First one - Orc Priest. I get that the Orcs are "Shamanistic", but given that Tauren, Trolls AND Goblins can all be Priests (as well as Druids for the first two), it just strikes me as odd that Orcs can't.

Second one - Dwarf Druids. I understand Blizzard doesn't want to allow this as it would mean Dwarves could be any class except DH. (Not that any self-respecting Dwarf would want to associate with Elves and Illidan anyway) However, since Dwarves are one of the more underplayed races, and given that the "lore" is more tangled than I-5 (Los Angeles), I'm not sure we'd suddenly see Ironforge overrun with race transfers.

Thoughts?

Green orcs are too stupid to find the Light. They still think a full moon is their backsides.

I sometimes cannot believe I am related to these things.

damn.. your face.
10/18/2018 10:42 PMPosted by Melithiria

I can see MAN'ARI Warlock if they ever get added, but not Draenei.

Playable Man'ari Eredar Warlocks are extremely unlikely. Man'ari Eredar are a sub-race of Eredar, named as such because of their physical corruption. They're essentially the Eredar equivalent of the Fel Orcs, Fel Blood Elves and Feltotem Highmountain.

Our only chance of seeing playable Draenei Warlocks is via Sargerei defectors that have not delved into fel energies enough to physically corrupt them; they would merely be regular ol' Eredar, just like the Draenei. The Draenei are merely a faction of Eredar, 'Draenei' is not their race. If an Eredar Warlock was accepted into the Draenei faction, they would become a Draenei as well.

There are plenty of non-Man'ari Eredar Warlocks around and we see a boatload of them on alternate Draenor.
10/18/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Karat
10/18/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Haunker
if I'm not mistaken all dwarves were originally iron dwarves who were put under the effects of the curse of flesh.
Yep. Dwarves, Humans, and Gnomes are all cursed Titan creations.

And all Elves are Deformed mutated trolls.

Your point?
i find it amusing that a race that is a priest and a warrior but cannot be a paladin to be very questionable.
forsaken were raised from the dead humans, humans who were priests, warriors, etc but what happened to the human paladins?
10/18/2018 08:26 PMPosted by Alisiaa
First one - Orc Priest. I get that the Orcs are "Shamanistic", but given that Tauren, Trolls AND Goblins can all be Priests (as well as Druids for the first two), it just strikes me as odd that Orcs can't.

To be fair, i think it's because Orcs are shamanistic at their core (as in, their culture is big on it), and the alternative is shadow which is a no-no (Shadow Council)

Tauren are super open to every religion ever, and Trolls worship the shadow.

So Priests are a no-no but Warlocks, the ones who have caused the most societal damage to Orc culture (in most time lines) are?

TBH I have always thought of two ways on race-class. Either it should matter in a much more restrictive way like it did back when I first started playing (or even further), or it shouldn't matter at all. Realistically the only reason they aren't is because they don't want to sit down and make a druid and totem combo for every race. Just make a state school version of shaman and druid and badabing badaboom you're done.

Look at Dark Iron Dwarfs. They can be anything but DH (race locked to Night Elf and High Elf), Druid (art assets issue really, lore is just an excuse when they can and will change it), and DK (Blizz doesn't want allied race DKs because they gave up trying to figure out why they are aDKing. Also I'm not sure there is enough room in the house in the DK zone anymore).
10/18/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Zaitëki
i find it amusing that a race that is a priest and a warrior but cannot be a paladin to be very questionable.
forsaken were raised from the dead humans, humans who were priests, warriors, etc but what happened to the human paladins?

All the Human Paladins are DKs now.
10/18/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Aigeiros
night elf mohawk

and panda druids
Omg I remember when their reasoning was like, "A bear turning into nother bear? Durr!!" As if an enhanced Pandaren form for bear form wouldn't be the most awesome thing. Your cow can turn into a bird, but your bear can't just pop some 'roids and become UltraBear. That makes sense.
Gnome Shaman.

I mean, gnomes have almost the exact same historical and cultural ties as Dwarves, AND are a former species composed of earthern (okay, mecha, but same difference).

Surely there’s enough ties there to warrant Shaman. More than goblin who just bribes the elements.

Speaking of which, if bribing elements is all it takes, every race should have Shaman by now.
10/18/2018 07:53 PMPosted by Melithiria
10/18/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Misscentauri
DH Void elf <3 The edge is real xD

Make it happen blizz, pretty please :D

1. You quote memes. No.

2. They would literally explode. Again, no.

10/18/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Xyona
void elfs and paladin

YET they can be HOLY PRIESTS.

another joke from the team..

Holy Priest Void Elf... is for gameplay reasons only.

10/18/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Fixher
Tuaren lock why not? I have a feeling Bain is one.

Uh what? What?

in the quest to unlock high mountains. where his city attacked. he says something strange during it. If only I could. makes me wonder what. he then goes on to say. the darkness fills me. it just weird.
Lore only matters when ion wants it to matter, and ion has a vendetta against draenei. This is why so much other intolerable drek is hand-waved but draelocks still get players and devs up in arms braying and squealing about how "impossible" it is and how the steaming remains of slaughtered lore "don't support it"

Lore is dead. Goblin shamans,cow pallies and more killed it. Tear down the restrictions or at least admit the bias. It can't make them look any worse
Pandaren druids. I wouldn't play one but it would go great with their four wild gods: the august celestials. I think they didn't add them as it because they figured the monk class fit enough(poor crane, could of fit balance well :P)
Gnome paladins, they can be warriors and priests but can't be paladins? Makes no sense
10/18/2018 10:59 PMPosted by Xerash
Man'ari Eredar are a sub-race of Eredar, named as such because of their physical corruption.

So basically the same as Elves being mutated (corrupted) Trolls and elf sub races being further mutated (corrupted) via different magic sources.

Or how Satyrs are mutated Elves.

10/19/2018 01:31 AMPosted by Elenstelle
I mean, gnomes have almost the exact same historical and cultural ties as Dwarves, AND are a former species composed of earthern (okay, mecha, but same difference).

Wrong.

Earthern, as seen in Deepholm, are much closer to Vyrkul in having individuality and sentience and actual independently evolved cultures while also having an inherit affinity to the primal elements of the earth and stone from which they were created.

Mechagnomes are almost entirely advanced robots with no signs of individuality or sentience who have been working according to their programming forever. And who can be created by engineers.

Gnomes therefore, once afflicted with the Curse of the Flesh, retain a deep affinity for technology and machines but next to no affinity for nature or the elements.
Thoughts?

Omgerd you’re back! I was just thinking the other day “man I miss Pharsalus posts.”

p.s. I have more than two.

I have always complained about the lack of orc Priests. We’ve had them in the game since Classic and we’ve seen them three times (Classic, TBC and WoD.) But! Mag’har is an ok compromise so I’m over it.

Dwarf Druid was just a dream race/class combo but with the introduction of allied races I’m annoyed we don’t have them. We should get Wilhammer as an AR. Two out of three members of the Council of Three Hammers is now playable and Wildhammer Druids could bring faction balance to the class.

Wildhammer Druids were talked about in the WoW RPG manual. And before someone says it, I know the manual is no longer canon. However, Bashiok made a very important point: “even though the manual is no longer canon, things from it could (and have) made it into the game.”

Also before someone says it, no Wildhammer are not Bronzebeard with tattoos. They’re taller, leaner, darker-skinned and wilder (tattoos, feathers) than the other two clans.

Zandalari Paladins. We know they exist. We seen them in Throne of Thunder. They would be the perfect third Horde Paladin (not the undead abomination.)

Night Elf Paladins. The can of worms was opened with Sunwalkers. Please give us Moonwalkers.

Gnome Shamans. Blizzard could come up with some nonsense like they did with goblins.
It doesn't make the most sense, but I always wanted a Pandaren Warlock.
10/18/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Kaizoku
10/18/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Karat
...Yep. Dwarves, Humans, and Gnomes are all cursed Titan creations.

But humans can be druids, so that is another lore hole.

Kul'Tiran are not Human.
Gnome druids