Fury or Arms?

General Discussion
Since the start of BFA I've been playing exclusively Arms Warrior. I've been wanting to change to Fury for a while now, but every time I do, it seems to hit like pool noodles compared to Arms.

I want to get into Fury, but don't know if it's the right choice this patch. Any warriors out there that can help me decide?
10/23/2018 07:03 PMPosted by Vyrathian
Since the start of BFA I've been playing exclusively Arms Warrior. I've been wanting to change to Fury for a while now, but every time I do, it seems to hit like pool noodles compared to Arms.

I want to get into Fury, but don't know if it's the right choice this patch. Any warriors out there that can help me decide?

Sounds to me like you do crap damage with Fury because you have a hate Bjorner for it going in. It sounds like you don't want to like Fury, and you don't want it to do well, and so you don't take a vested interest in the spec. Therefore don't really care about getting a perfect rotation down (as much of a rotation that a spam spec can have) and thus dealing less damage.

Maybe if you went into the spec with some enthusiasm you might have better luck, and enjoy it some more.

Ps. You'll do better with the spec you ENJOY playing and not necessarily the one that the forums tells you is better. Play the game for fun. Play your character and your characters spec for the enjoyment of it.

Pps. There's a difference between big damage, and fast damage. If you're looking purely at the numbers that flash in front of your screen when hitting things, Arms is going to appear to deal more damage as it has larger numbers.

Fury on the other hand plays a lot like an Outlaw rogue. They don't deal the largest hits but they deal a lot of smaller hits really quickly.

It all adds up in the end. Just depends on how much your ego wants to see "how big you can get".

Sounds to me like you do crap damage with Fury because you have a hate !@#$% for it going in. It sounds like you don't want to like Fury, and you don't want it to do well, and so you don't take a vested interest in the spec, and therefore don't really care about getting a perfect rotation down (as much of a rotation that a spam spec can have) and thus dealing less damage.

Maybe if you went into the spec with some enthusiasm you might have better luck, and enjoy it some more.

Ps. You'll do better with the spec you ENJOY playing and not necessarily the one that the forums tells you is better. Play the game for fun. Play your character and your characters spec for the enjoyment of it.

Pps. There's a difference between hard damage, and fast damage. If you're looking purely at the numbers that flash in front of your screen when hitting things, Arms is going to appear to deal more damage as it has larger numbers.

Fury on the other hand plays a lot like an Outlaw rogue. They don't deal the largest hits but they deal a lot of smaller hits really quickly.

It all adds up in the end. Just depends on how much your ego wants to see "how big you can get".

You got it completely wrong, maybe I should have gone more in depth.

1. I like Fury and the playstyle
2. I don't want to do bad with it
3. The damage that I'm comparing is from recount. In normal Taloc with arms, I can top the charts. With Fury, I have to scroll to see my damage.

My main question was if it was good and worth putting time into. I appreciate the input, however, the condescending nature of the response took a lot out of your point.
I’ve swiched to arms since Legion. Unfortunately as a Fury you’re just inferior and would have to be almos BIS to match fury.
If you watch things like DPS competitions or dps charts by warriors you would find all the arms stacked up on top and fury on the bottom with the maybe exception of an overly geared fury warrior getting a little high
10/23/2018 07:12 PMPosted by Torvy

Sounds to me like you do crap damage with Fury because you have a hate Bjorner for it going in. It sounds like you don't want to like Fury, and you don't want it to do well, and so you don't take a vested interest in the spec. Therefore don't really care about getting a perfect rotation down (as much of a rotation that a spam spec can have) and thus dealing less damage.

Pps. There's a difference between big damage, and fast damage. If you're looking purely at the numbers that flash in front of your screen when hitting things, Arms is going to appear to deal more damage as it has larger numbers.

Oh SNAP.
havoc, they do everything a warrior does, just better
I prefer arms and mostly played arms since Vanilla (I was a Orc Warrior for 6 years).

I personally like how Arms plays better than fury (IMO).
Played arms at low level and didnt care for it...I really enjoy fury even though Im not topping meters, not that I care though.

I might swap back up and give it a try this week, it just felt slow to me.
You can't really compare one spec to another in terms of damage in a game like WoW. Not really.

Think about it. You'd have to be fighting the same boss with the same people all playing the same specs with the exact same gear, gems, enchants, talents. They would all have to use their respective CD's the exact same way at the exact same time in both tests to even come close to knowing where you stand on the charts.

Even with that you have human error. Someone might screw up their rotation in one test. Even if it's for 5 seconds, that could potentially have a drastic effect on the results.

And then you have the RNG to worry about. Crits, spell procs, trinket procs Ect.. What about boss mechanics. Did you have to move during one fight, but not another? Did the rogue and mage get lucky with the stuff on the ground and they didn't have to move?

Maybe one fight the mage gets a few lucky crits but doesn't in the other fight, and thus pulls ahead of you in damage. Maybe they gained 3% extra damage and it was just enough that you couldn't catch up.

In order to really tell the difference against other players you would have to run a sim about 10 times for both specs where YOU are the only variable. And even then you have your own RNG to take into consideration. Maybe you didn't get a lot of Raging Blow resets.

Not to mention there's your errors as well. Maybe you mess up the rotation in one fight, but got it down pat in another. What about gems/enchants? Are you geared for Arms, but not Fury? Maybe they favor different stats? What about talents? Are you using the talents that are right for the particular fight you're going up against?

Maybe your off-hand weapon is inferior to your main hand. For Fury white damage and off-hand damage is a big part of your overall damage. Your abilities that deal damage with both weapons; Raging Blow, and Rampage being your two biggest; are heavily influenced by your weapons. If one isn't up to par with the other, you're going to suffer.

Arms doesn't have this problem, and is tuned differently to work with just one strong hitting weapon.

I understand that you feel that your fury spec isn't up to snuff with Arms, but give it a try. And don't just try it for one fight, or one raid. Mess around with it. Get used to how it plays, and it's "rotation". Get a great off-hand weapon to match your main-hand.

If you give it a chance, and take the time to learn how it's played, I'm sure you'll come to enjoy the play style and see it for what it's worth.

Edit: Looking at your armory page, you're stacking Crit for your Arms spec. Unless you have a full set of gear in your bags for Fury this isn't going to get you very far. Fury is VERY heavily reliant on haste. Haste increases your Auto-attack speed (which we already discussed is a big part of the damage) it reduces the CD on Bloodthirst which has a chance to enrage you (thus increasing your number throughput even more, and giving you even more haste.. Which leads to more CD reduction and more white damage) as well as reducing the CD on other abilities like Raging Blow and Execute. Not to mention the more abilities you use, the more rage you gain which means you get off more Rampages.

More Rampages means more damage, and more frequent Enrages, which in turn keeps the ability CD's low and the damage numbers high.

You also have to consider your Azerite gear. Do you have equal value Azerite gear for your Fury spec as you do your Arms? Are the item levels the same? Do you have separate pieces of gear with decent traits that work well for pve?

If you're going into the Fury spec prepared to fight as Arms, than the spec isn't going to yield you very good results.

I'm not trying to sound condescending as you mentioned in your previous post. I'm merely trying to explain how the two specs can't really be compared. Especially under the circumstances you've provided yourself. You are intentionally; or unintentionally; robbing Fury of a fair chance to show what it can do.
I read the tittle wrong and got very confused.
Death Knight

Fury is amazing for leveling and soloing. Arms is great for group content. Trying to level as arms is painful. You are rage starved at the lower levels.
Fury is pulling horrid dps/damage. I mean 4k dps on Zul come on Blizz. I know you hate Fury warriors but this is ridiculous. Fury is always bad at the start of an expac. I have been playing Fury since BC and this dps is horribly stupid. It makes me almost want to switch to arms and I built my build based on what icy veins said and it still does not help. However, fury is really fun to play now but its not competitive for dps.

Please fix something.
fury is fun arms isnt and has ms if you pvp.
10/30/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Shádana
Fury is pulling horrid dps/damage. I mean 4k dps on Zul come on Blizz. I know you hate Fury warriors but this is ridiculous. Fury is always bad at the start of an expac. I have been playing Fury since BC and this dps is horribly stupid. It makes me almost want to switch to arms and I built my build based on what icy veins said and it still does not help. However, fury is really fun to play now but its not competitive for dps.

Please fix something.

4K or 14k because 4K is a PEBKAC issue big time.

Fury does struggle to do amazing dps comparatively to other classes. It just doesn’t feel like it hits hard enough - especially with Avatar gone.

As to the person above saying you can’t compare classes and DPS... what? Are you mental? “Lmao fury is fine who cares that your attacks actually do no damage just accept it and don’t be a whiny loser because fury is different okay!!!??”

Bruh.

Fury has a little more to learn, rotation wise, than arms. They are, end of the day, both very simple and straightforward, but arms is a bit easier to pick up. Arms is also stronger on 3/8 bosses, and easily ties on the other 5.

10/23/2018 07:22 PMPosted by Bashcutter
I’ve swiched to arms since Legion. Unfortunately as a Fury you’re just inferior and would have to be almos BIS to match fury.
If you watch things like DPS competitions or dps charts by warriors you would find all the arms stacked up on top and fury on the bottom with the maybe exception of an overly geared fury warrior getting a little high

That's.....not a thing.

Please fix something.

If you're below 20k on Zul, it's not a spec problem, it's a you problem. Jesus, 4k? What are you even doing, auto attacking the crawgs?

10/30/2018 10:46 AMPosted by Eldrethana
Fury does struggle to do amazing dps comparatively to other classes. It just doesn’t feel like it hits hard enough - especially with Avatar gone.

As to the person above saying you can’t compare classes and DPS... what? Are you mental? “Lmao fury is fine who cares that your attacks actually do no damage just accept it and don’t be a whiny loser because fury is different okay!!!??”

Fury's upper mid of the pack in Uldir, and pretty damn good in m+ too, especially on fort weeks, or for affixes like grievous/explosive

Please fix something.

Sorry, but you have to be either horribly undergeared or doing something fundamentally wrong to only pull 4k on Zul as a fury warrior (assuming that wasn't just a typo or massively overexaggerating, and you actually meant 4k). That's an extremely friendly boss fight for fury. I feel like I could do nothing but autoattack the boss and reckstorm the adds on cooldown and still easily pull more than 4k.

Fury does fall behind arms in general, but it's not enough of a difference to worry about unless you're playing in some super competitive realm first type of guild.

I have the same mental block with arms. I've just never wanted to play it, and I suck at it when I try. Fury is what I know and what I'm good at, so I stick with it.
Basically: fury for fun, arms for damage (albeit incredibly boring damage, like literally stand around doing nothing at times)