As a new tank, it's not the tanking I find hard

General Discussion
it's being the designated group daddy that I find more difficult. I'm trying to get into tanking more. The mechanics of actually tanking bosses isn't difficult but I'm finding it hard getting used to everyone sitting around waiting for me to tell them what to do/how to position each fight.

I understand this kind of comes with the role, especially in pugs. However, it's kind of overwhelming when I'm trying to learn. I feel like the dungeon journal only tells you so much about raid encounters. Any suggestions on how to become more comfortable being the group daddy?
Seriously...pug with at least one guildie so you don't get kicked for 'pulling too slowly' or for a wipe.

The tank should control the flow of the instance but often times in pugs it's dps gone wild ignoring mechanics and pulling everything until the first wipe...then healers or tanks are blamed.
Chances are that the healer will be the group mommy and teach you what to do if it looks like you're clueless.
You're in a pretty large guild.

Don't pug, like, ever.
10/27/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Stronghold

Don't pug, like, ever.

Guild may be large in numbers but not many people are ever on and they seemed to have chased people away by requiring discord. Your sentiment still is true though. If I find a guild with some friends it will make it easier. I'm just a pretty casual player and I don't like to have a schedule to be on to play the game. So that's why I end up doing pugs as well.
Only thing I can suggest is practice. As a tank, pacing is just as important as anything else and some times this goes far beyond what you would expect from a game.
If some level of you doesn't have your eye of the prize while enjoying helping others see it too, tanking may be something you aren't fundamentally in line with.

In the old days when I was a healer instead that was the #1 question I would want to ask my tanks. Make sure they are capable leaders with a level head first and foremost. Worry about how much damage they take later.
10/27/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Vorlith
10/27/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Stronghold

Don't pug, like, ever.

Guild may be large in numbers but not many people are ever on and they seemed to have chased people away by requiring discord. Your sentiment still is true though. If I find a guild with some friends it will make it easier. I'm just a pretty casual player and I don't like to have a schedule to be on to play the game. So that's why I end up doing pugs as well.

14 years and people still refuse to see the advantages of voice comms... I feel your pain there.

Best bit of advice I can give you is to bring a friend to protect you from vote kick, then apply the old rule we tanks used to have: "If you pull it, you must want to tank it, I'll let you."
I often dps new content first if I am learning. I get more freedom to view the flow, popular pathing, intrinsinc dangers/mechanics, and clever methods for dealing with everything.

Once a find a strat or two I like I implement it into my run method for tanking it and use it to guide others as needed and let people know what doesnt work and why.

Back in cata I used this method to lead weekend full pugs of firelands and actually met alot of new friends this way that enjoyed the way I approached things.

I will say though leading can get tiring, so be sure to take breaks on occasion!
10/27/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Worthiest
I often dps new content first if I am learning. I get more freedom to view the flow, popular pathing, intrinsinc dangers/mechanics, and clever methods for dealing with everything.

Once a find a strat or two I like I implement it into my run method for tanking it and use it to guide others as needed and let people know what doesnt work and why.

Back in cata I used this method to lead weekend full pugs of firelands and actually met alot of new friends this way that enjoyed the way I approached things.

I will say though leading can get tiring, so be sure to take breaks on occasion!

Would you suggest I go frost or unholy if I do this?
I do it with Frost - but really - it is just personal preference.
One thing I have noticed - if I have been tanking for a bit and then switch to DPS to learn a fight/dungeon I often have to remind myself I AM NOT THE TANK - STAY BEHIND THE BOSS for that run.
If you’re doing dungeons, at this point everyone should have a general idea of the strats. To save time you could put down markers for certain bosses like rezan showing where you’re tanking at skull and where they should stand at star to LOS the fear cast.
10/27/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Metrohaha
Only thing I can suggest is practice. As a tank, pacing is just as important as anything else

Ummmm.....the problem is it SHOULDN'T be just as important as anything else.
Use the group finder to make a custom dungeon of group where you specify that you are a new tank, want to go slow and casual, and would prefer if people who want to go fast and pull everything please find another group.

I think you will find that you can fill the group easy enough and you may make friends that you can run stuff with every day.
10/27/2018 07:25 AMPosted by Sacrosànct
14 years and people still refuse to see the advantages of voice comms... I feel your pain there.
Just want to comment about this. It isn't VOIP. It's Discord that I object to.

Discord, Mumble, Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Skype.... And then WoW itself has had a version of in game voip since Wrath that most people only recently discovered.

I'm tired of downloading new programs just to suite the flavor of the month service. Especially one that seems to be solely created to support You Tube Streamers.

I use Skype. I have friends who ended up moving to Australia, and it handles things with little discernible lag due to the distance. If for some reason we need to add in more than five people, I'm fine with Teamspeak, as it seems to have the fewest issues with the distance.

Discord can kiss my patootie
10/27/2018 08:25 AMPosted by Arrassil
Only thing I can suggest is practice. As a tank, pacing is just as important as anything else

Maybe but that includes understanding your CD's in that pacing. Understanding you healer mana as well as the rest of your groups overall resources states. Now its not that important in heroics and such but in M+ thats pretty critical though I do that with guild in discord and it makes it much better.

The best advice I would give you is strait up constantly tank. You are going to have your bad runs and bad pulls but eventually you start evening out and learning all the instances. It becomes easier as time goes on. Truly the best thing is repetition.

Well that's how tanking has always worked, so not sure what you mean.
As the tank, you direct and lead combat at all times. Sometimes others decide THEY want to tank and do it for you, but 9/10 times it falls to the tank to do this.
If they didn't, the group would never progress.

Think about a situation where it wasn't true. The Tank just sits there until some one else initiates combat for him.
That group isn't going to last very long, I'd imagine.
10/27/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Romanna
10/27/2018 07:25 AMPosted by Sacrosànct
Just want to comment about this. It isn't VOIP. It's Discord that I object to.

Discord, Mumble, Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Skype.... And then WoW itself has had a version of in game voip since Wrath that most people only recently discovered.

I'm tired of downloading new programs just to suite the flavor of the month service. Especially one that seems to be solely created to support You Tube Streamers.

I use Skype. I have friends who ended up moving to Australia, and it handles things with little discernible lag due to the distance. If for some reason we need to add in more than five people, I'm fine with Teamspeak, as it seems to have the fewest issues with the distance.

Discord can kiss my patootie

But discord is more then voice chat. Its used with a variety of other uses. It replaces guild websites for the most part.
10/27/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Metrohaha

Well that's how tanking has always worked, so not sure what you mean.
As the tank, you direct and lead combat at all times. Sometimes others decide THEY want to tank and do it for you, but 9/10 times it falls to the tank to do this.
If they didn't, the group would never progress.

Think about a situation where it wasn't true. The Tank just sits there until some one else initiates combat for him.
That group isn't going to last very long, I'd imagine.

Reminds me of FFXI, the last time I actually tanked as a main role in a game. The tank didn't pull, there was dedicated pullers for the group. Good times.

But yeah, not how it works in modern MMO's, the tank sets the pace, can't get away from it.
Only thing I can suggest is practice. As a tank, pacing is just as important as anything else and some times this goes far beyond what you would expect from a game.
If some level of you doesn't have your eye of the prize while enjoying helping others see it too, tanking may be something you aren't fundamentally in line with.

In the old days when I was a healer instead that was the #1 question I would want to ask my tanks. Make sure they are capable leaders with a level head first and foremost. Worry about how much damage they take later.

I agree with this. As a tank, you kinda gotta get your feel. You can pull smaller packs until you're comfortable, but do NOT stop between them.

When I dps, the thing that bugs me most is when a tank pulls small, but constantly pauses between and doesn't move at all. It kinda stops the entire feel of the place. When I tank? I pull smaller until I get a grasp for what I can personally handle but the key is to not pause if at all between pulls/packs of mobs and I've never had someone complain yet or kick me. I consider myself a nervous tank and I haven't tried doing anything yet this expac as a tank, but I only got this character to max a day or two ago and been in process of getting some gear before I try tanking dungeons.
10/27/2018 07:46 AMPosted by Vorlith
10/27/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Worthiest

Would you suggest I go frost or unholy if I do this?

Unholy is a bit more forgiving for dps mistakes in dungeons at the moment, where as frost has more personal agency. This is because alot pf ypur damage is tied into your pet and your diseases.

Unholy also uses a two hander, so if you are tanking on your dk you have an easier transition gearwise as well(only really needing to potentially swap trinkets or azerite pieces, but at the moment i use a dps oriented tank set up, so you might not need to swap trinkets at all). So I would recommend that personally.

However, I am a firm believer in play what you enjoy, you will perform better in the long run.