Bets on Warcraft III Retcons by C Golden

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
Changes I expect:

*Banshee Sylvanas as a special unit for the rest of Path of the Damned after the Fall of Quel'thalas to show she was present as shown in Arthas: Rise of the Lich King.

*Akama to appear as a Broken instead of Lost One.

*Dungeon Bosses having a cameo when appropriate as seen with The Culling demo at Blizzcon.

*A small group of Horde Orc Warlock units in The Founding of Durotar to help bridge the War3 Horde refusing Warlocks to the WoW Horde having them.
11/04/2018 10:05 PMPosted by Gornur
*Dungeon Bosses having a cameo when appropriate as seen with The Culling demo at Blizzcon.

I would unabashedly love this, not gonna lie.
11/04/2018 09:51 PMPosted by Ximothy
I'm not just going to scapegoat her so I can vent my dissatisfaction. I want to know how much influence she actually has in the overall narrative before I blame her for anything.
And you'll never know how much influence she has, because influence doesn't fill a gauge.

Blizzard is never going to allow the finger to be pointed at any one person on the team for any decision anyway. We used to hear "oh, you guys want to blame this writer or that writer, but it's one big writing team effort", and now suddenly at this Blizzcon, it's, "oh, you guys want to blame the writing team, but the story is actually 100% dictated by a different team!". It's the matryoshka of culpability.

I don't think Christie Golden bears anything remotely close to total control of the narrative. The only thing i blame her for specifically is the steady warping of certain characters over time to more closely resemble her vision of them as depicted in her novels. She doesn't have to be in charge to exert influence, especially now that she's physically there working in an environment as loose and collaborative as the one they illustrated at Blizzcon.
11/04/2018 07:34 PMPosted by Rothiron
You... are aware that Lord of the Clans, Thrall's origin story written by Golden, was published the year before Warcraft 3 came out... right?

[/quote]

This. People really need to STOP attacking Golden. She's done a lot more for Warcraft than any of you ever will.
11/04/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Reignac
11/04/2018 07:01 PMPosted by Draile
Also the Broken might not call themselves Draenei anymore. Though it would be fine if they did.

I'm going to laugh if they come up with some new line of dialogue like, "We are The Draenei, but we're not like the ones you haven't ever seen before. No, we're called the Broken. By them. They call us Broken. We are the Draenei and the Draenei call us the Broken. "

They're using the old voice recordings (the demo on the show floor had the old stuff) so I can't see any lines changing.
They're using old stuff for the old campaign within it, and in the Blizzcon demo for placeholder. For the HD campaign, they are going to be recording brand new audio for all parts of the game, as well as stuff for the new lore. The old recordings both dont encompass this, and can't really be pulled in to be recorded.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/507963465227436033/508501158617153546/image0.png

From the Wowpedia interview.
They're using old stuff for the old campaign within it, and in the Blizzcon demo for placeholder. For the HD campaign, they are going to be recording brand new audio for all parts of the game, as well as stuff for the new lore. The old recordings both dont encompass this, and can't really be pulled in to be recorded.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/507963465227436033/508501158617153546/image0.png

Laura Bailey and Liam O'brien as Jaina and Illidan? Hell yeah! We're on a (Critical) roll!
11/04/2018 10:38 PMPosted by Rothiron

Laura Bailey and Liam O'brien as Jaina and Illidan? Hell yeah! We're on a (Critical) roll!

I much prefer their previous voice actors. Luckily I own the original edition, but it disappoints me that they will be simply replacing them. There have been literally no improvements on the cast, and many times, these changes were done out of spite to my understanding.
Boy, I'm sure not excited for Blizzard's new writing teams to get their hands all over Warcraft 3.

Sure, people who worked on it before have said it's not their best writing, but I'm not looking forward to Night Elves losing all of their missions and the writing team slapping a swastika on Garithos' helmet.

I'm sure not looking forward to Sylvanas being completely whitewashed in the Frozen Throne Undead campaign to portray how she was a benevolent and brilliant do-no-wrong ruler all along.

Is there just going to be a giant magical barrier that Maiev and Illidan completely ignore in the horizon during the Broken Isles missions?
we'll find out, won't we. I wouldn't mind having Lorthemar with Sylvanas for Missions 3-5 of the undead campaign as an example as a medium-in-size change. But I remain skeptical that most changes would be for the best.
11/04/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Cursewords
A Human Paladin can commandeer elekks
Wait... we can?
and armies of Lightforged Draenei
Oh my...
And High Elf Women.
Oh...!
And the respect of Shandris.
I've been paladining entirely incorrectly, I'm going to go capitalize on all of this.

Carry on.
You... are aware that Lord of the Clans, Thrall's origin story written by Golden, was published the year before Warcraft 3 came out... right?

/scrolling thru thread

/sees this nugget

/runs to the internet

Holy crap why did I think Lord of the Clans didn't come out until after WoW came out o.o.
11/05/2018 03:37 AMPosted by Daiza

/scrolling thru thread

/sees this nugget

/runs to the internet

Holy crap why did I think Lord of the Clans didn't come out until after WoW came out o.o.

For what it's worth, there were three Warcraft books that came out before WCIII;
Lord of the Clans
Day of the Dragon
The Last Guardian.

Day of the Dragon actually teased the existance of Naga when Krasus saw a 'frozen reptile creature' and said "Na-" before getting cut off. The Night elves were teased in the Last Guardian as well, when Medivh recounted the Sundering, but he never named the elves.
11/04/2018 07:03 PMPosted by Etheldald
can we please not? no need to change anything, yes there has been retcons but there is no need to ruin wc3 story.

i liked wc3 sylvanas and jaina just like they are, just leave them like that.
in fact, i liked all wc3 characters.
We need an actual cutscene for the Arthas/Illidan fight.
11/05/2018 04:18 AMPosted by Treng
We need an actual cutscene for the Arthas/Illidan fight.

oh yes, cinematics could be awesome.
in that i agree.
11/05/2018 02:26 AMPosted by Taybreck
we'll find out, won't we. I wouldn't mind having Lorthemar with Sylvanas for Missions 3-5 of the undead campaign as an example as a medium-in-size change. But I remain skeptical that most changes would be for the best.
There are a lot of changes that could happen to the march on the Sunwell just because WoW, Blood of the Highborne, and Rise of the Lich King added so much. They could also end up adding to Kael's campaign with things like his decision to destroy the Sunwell and ultimately his defection to the Legion.
11/05/2018 04:30 AMPosted by Kyveli
11/05/2018 02:26 AMPosted by Taybreck
There are a lot of changes that could happen to the march on the Sunwell just because WoW, Blood of the Highborne, and Rise of the Lich King added so much. They could also end up adding to Kael's campaign with things like his decision to destroy the Sunwell and ultimately his defection to the Legion.

Perhaps he sees the writing on the wall when they initially go to Outland and find out how much of a dump it is, and tries to persuade Illidan in getting the Legion's assistance against Arthas, believing the whole crusade to be suicide. Something along those lines, that might parallel his previous despair at fighting the undead earlier in the campaign, and his contrast to submit to the legion for aid (enslavement) vs Illidan's perseverance in his own code. It struck me that Kael'thas would be much like Azshara in that regard, probably believing himself, and his people would be well-regarded in the Legion and above much of the fodder and rank-and-file. He'd probably be right, besides the whole turning into a demon thing being bad for morale.
11/04/2018 07:11 PMPosted by Rothiron
Good grief, people, it's not like they're going to alter the overall plot of the game. You'll get from point A to point B just the same.

They're all but promising to change the characterization. Which should not be changed.

11/05/2018 02:23 AMPosted by Theadrel
I'm sure not looking forward to Sylvanas being completely whitewashed in the Frozen Throne Undead campaign to portray how she was a benevolent and brilliant do-no-wrong ruler all along.

Um ... what in heaven's name makes you think the current "Sylvanas's campaign of evil" writing team would whitewash her?
If they keep the retcons to the iconic maps and locations and how they look like, I will be pretty happy. I just hope they don't change any lore or story beats.
Boy, I'm sure not excited for Blizzard's new writing teams to get their hands all over Warcraft 3.

What the !@#$ game are you playing?
Honestly what I would like to see is maybe a second campaign focusing around Jaina establishing Theramore or something. Or maybe some dealing with the Southern Eastern Kingdoms.

If Blizzard uses WC3 Remastered to tell stories we never had told, I think I could be happy with that.