Fearful of out of touch devs...

General Discussion
11/05/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Wanobi
Anticipated and addressed this already. Twice, in fact.

.. as did I .. 13 years ago. This is just a loop. it's boring.
11/05/2018 06:43 PMPosted by Snowfox
11/05/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Wanobi
Anticipated and addressed this already. Twice, in fact.

.. as did I .. 13 years ago. This is just a loop. it's boring.

You anticipated that they would reach a high of over 10 million subscribers, only to plummet to 2005 numbers, then stop reporting the sub count altogether when their stubborn refusal to listen to their player's feedback caused them to switch to metrics (which resulted in the kind of time padding grinds we're seeing now, among other complaints), then have to hide wow's behind two other games' in their quarterly reports because the numbers are still that bad?

That's amazing precognition!

/sarcasm

This, to the rest of the thread, is what I said earlier was an example of what the company is doing right now: lumping all the good and qualitative feedback with the small number of outliers who type in all caps. Then pretend they get no good feedback and keep releasing low quality content and pretend that complaints and the high dissatisfaction that has been going on since wod (which is easily verifiable by their own numbers, as I've already pointed out, more than once) has been going on since vanilla. Which is patently false, because if you look at wow's numbers graphed out, they rise and ebb and flow over the years then plummet in the wod years (and have not recovered if the recent 1.7 million number they accidently released and quickly tried to squash all traces of is any indicator). That is not "as it has always been" which seems to be the new party line.

Are there people giving poor feedback? Sure. But let's not pretend that it's even close to a majority of the people out there. It's an insult to everyone who played every alpha, beta, and ptr for us... and tried warning about issues that people are posting about now.

Because if this is how far they have to go to ignore feedback...they really are as out of touch as the OP is concerned about and we should be concerned about our own version of "wow: immortal."
11/05/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Snowfox
We decided they were out of touch 13 years ago.

Somehow, magically, the game has kept going.

So has Mcdonalds, doesent mean it isnt pure trash, bad for you, fuelled by mass marketing and addiction tactics.
Hopefully (and this is very stretched optimism) the recent debacle serves as a wake-up call to Blizzard in general.
11/05/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Mingz
What evidence is there they will not turn into "you have phones" type of attitude?
What attitude? It was a bad joke uttered out of awkwardness butthurt PC zealots/Blizzard haters who linger on the forums just to crap on Blizz twisted to push a victim narrative. It's fine not to like a game because you prefer a different platform but people were/are clearly overreacting. Played it while I was at Blizzcon and it isn't really all that terrible from the little I played. Monk felt extremely satisfying and played similar to 3 except you use your thumbs instead of a keyboard and mouse.

Again,it's fine to not like something but to declare the sky is falling and get jilted over it so easily is rather foolish. If anything,it's a smart move to expand to a growing market with an untapped demographic where today's mobile players could be tomorrow's players who try Diablo 3,await an actual potential D4 or remaster of Diablo 2 to see what makes the franchise great. Only problem I see are the playerbase have become WAY too uptight,cynical and way too easily jaded.
A little late to worry about the devs being out of touch in wow.
nokingrulesforever? or we putting that away? xD
11/06/2018 08:55 PMPosted by Damalys
Again,it's fine to not like something but to declare the sky is falling and get jilted over it so easily is rather foolish.

...or that time that ps4 made it easy to mock xbox one for game sharing by one guy handing the game to the other guy.

There's a good number pretending that actiblizz isn't being tone deaf and ignoring a large portion of it's playerbase, while some are simply concerned that it could get worse for wow. Based on their actions since wod those concerns are entirely legitimate.

No one wants to hear the equivalent of:

"Go play xbox 360 if that's what you're looking for."
dOn’T yOu gUYs hAvE phOnES?
11/05/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Ameghan
No need to waste energy worrying about something that will most likely never happen

You missed a panel.
Blizzard is working on mobile plans across all of their IPs.

You should worry.
They're not replacing PC games with mobile games but they are diverting resources and talent to mobile which is essentially the problem.

In fact the entire idea of putting Diablo on mobile is a bad idea. In NA the mobile gamer is 65+ and female. The most popular game is Candy Crush. They really need Asia to carry this and my guess is Netease titles already there will surpass it. I think they vastly underestimated the NA pushback on this product.
Something we have to get used to. All the guys who put heart and soul into gaming have retired or left, and it's just Activision drones replacing them. They're just wrapping up their assimilation of Blizzard, the way EA takes care of all the property they've bought and ruined.
The most glaringly obvious stunt that everyone forgets is adding allied races, then making leveling 1 to cap absolutely ridiculous in the same patch. This was right when I came back to wow and was confused about all the nonsense I missed. You ppl really need to stand up for yourselves.
11/05/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Spinster
Blizzard is out-of-touch from the top down. It isn’t just the Diablo team.

Yep even Mike Kern says that the developers don't understand gamers any more

This is from an article quoting him on screen rant

"Following the flood of criticisms, Diablo 2 producer Mark Kern tweeted about his personal insight on the situation - specifically referring to the way Blizzard doesn't appear to understand its own gamers anymore. Explaining that "Blizzard used to be really gamer driven," he expressed his dissatisfaction with way the studio handled the anticipation and release of a new game in the franchise. And, though his lengthy Twitter thread points out that he has no issue with a mobile spinoff, he said:

Mark Kern

@Grummz
· Nov 4, 2018
Blizzard gamers are not smugly "entitled." Nor are they toxic, and they most certainly are not made about a mobile version of Diablo because they hates the wemyzn (the craziest blue-check theory I've seen so far).

Mark Kern

@Grummz
Since I was producer on Diablo 2, a lot of people have been asking for my thoughts on the whole "Diablo Immortal" fiasco. I hate to say it, but what you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore.

4:13 PM - Nov 4, 2018
1,353 people are talking about "

So when even a past developer especially one of his caliber is saying it then Blizzard should sit up and take notice, the Blizzcon fiasco should be a wake up call for them.
11/06/2018 09:42 PMPosted by Tiridan
dOn’T yOu gUYs hAvE phOnES?

Yeah i do, and a tablet, im good to go.
11/05/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Mingz
I am fearful that the out of touch diablo developers will reach to WoW. They are the same company lead by the same CEO, etc....

How will blizzard prevent WoW developers from being out of touch with their game base? Dev's don't really communicate with the community, they admit they don't read the forums and they have a hard time fixing things the community complains about (or they fix it way way too late like legendary issues from Legion).

What evidence is there they will not turn into "you have phones" type of attitude?

War, famine, climate change, drought, earthquakes, tornados, these are things to be afraid of. Changes to video games? Not so much...
11/06/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Nyezhing
War, famine, climate change, drought, earthquakes, tornados, these are things to be afraid of. Changes to video games? Not so much...

I suppose actiblizz might be able to do something about those (the real ones anyway)...

...but the one thing it could do for certain?

Stop being tone deaf in it's response to customer feedback and concerns, and not continue down the path they've been on of late.
WE dont want to do that.
WE want you to do this.
WE want people to slow down.
WE want people to experience all the game has to offer before flying.
WE feel that the current level of RNG (Ad lib) is fine
Don't you all have phones?

Nope not out of touch at all.

There is many many more examples but you don't need me to point them out unless you are blind the indicators are there