Activision Stock Plunges as Gamers Seethe Over Diablo Immortal

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
11/06/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Zeropointt
Did you just try to tell us that the share prices of Blizzard Entertainment are not affected by bad publicity?
Lol.
Don’t quit your day job.
There are no share prices for Blizzard Entertainment because there is no such thing as Blizzard Entertaiment stock.

Don't quit school yet; you have an awfully lot more to learn.
11/06/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Sour
Yet I do feel sorry for them. they put all their heart into something and get booed.

They contracted a Chinese company known for making p2w Diablo clones to make a presumably-p2w Diablo reskin of one of their Diablo clones. I'm not sure how much heart went into this one.
Keep in mind, Activision stock is VERY overvalued at 100x PE.

At that level of expectation, any news will cause the stock to tank.

Normal for tech companies doing well is 20-30x. 100 is major expectations.

When you disappoint and there is a lot of rumors of unhappy customers... the stock tanks.
11/06/2018 04:11 AMPosted by Absyynthe
Per Barron's

Activision Blizzard was probably hoping for cheers from gamers when it unveiled a new mobile app in its important Diablo franchise. That didn’t happen, and now Wall Street is more skittish about the company.

The news came Friday at the company’s BlizzCon conference: The company is working with NetEase, a Chinese developer, to produce Diablo Immortal. Gamers were apoplectic, putting a flurry of negative comments on the YouTube page that showed the trailer. As of midday Monday, the trailer for Diablo Immortal had 430,000 down votes, versus 16,000 up votes.

“Blizzard announced its first mobile-only title on Friday and to say the reaction was negative would be an understatement,” Cowen analyst Doug Creutz wrote on Monday. “Blizzard severely miscalculated how their fans would respond, which suggests they aren’t in touch with their players as maybe they should be.”

Some gamers had hoped the company would announce a Diablo sequel for personal computers. Others were concerned Diablo Immortal is being created in a partnership with NetEase, whose games are known for pushing gamers to buy digital items with real money.

Question. How come you don't post the stock stuff when they jumped high a month or 2 ago? And all the other times it jumped high? It is funny you only feel the need to post this when it drops (because that is how the stock market works. Take a class.)

You should probably just move on from all Blizzard games since you need to use any thing (even stupid ridiculous stuff like this) to validate your feelings and wanting to see Blizzard fail. So why are you still even here?
Well I guess you gotta earn that green text privilege eh? Blizz will just double down, blame a vocal minority and bots as usual then carry about their way. Remember, western players don't know what they want.
11/06/2018 05:17 AMPosted by Rastlin
Per Barron's

Activision Blizzard was probably hoping for cheers from gamers when it unveiled a new mobile app in its important Diablo franchise. That didn’t happen, and now Wall Street is more skittish about the company.

The news came Friday at the company’s BlizzCon conference: The company is working with NetEase, a Chinese developer, to produce Diablo Immortal. Gamers were apoplectic, putting a flurry of negative comments on the YouTube page that showed the trailer. As of midday Monday, the trailer for Diablo Immortal had 430,000 down votes, versus 16,000 up votes.

“Blizzard announced its first mobile-only title on Friday and to say the reaction was negative would be an understatement,” Cowen analyst Doug Creutz wrote on Monday. “Blizzard severely miscalculated how their fans would respond, which suggests they aren’t in touch with their players as maybe they should be.”

Some gamers had hoped the company would announce a Diablo sequel for personal computers. Others were concerned Diablo Immortal is being created in a partnership with NetEase, whose games are known for pushing gamers to buy digital items with real money.

When you do not listen to the customer, you lose money.

When you do not listen to the customer for a long time, you go out of business.

Sears was once the biggest company in the U.S. They had the tallest building. They were making tons of money.

Now they are bankrupt.

Blizzard will go broke if they do not listen to their customers, restore flying and stop overtuning content!

A thinly veiled flying post. Got it. Come on, at least try to hide it.

That said, I understand where people are coming from otherwise. Blizzard seems keen on doing things their way, customers be damned. This whole fiasco may end up being a wakeup call for them. Probably not, but it could be.

Blizzard also sent out surveys a few days ago to inactive accounts asking them very, very specific questions about why they don't like BfA. So it does appear that they could be planning some fixes, but it largely depends on how people answer the survey.
11/06/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Crepe
Every single analyst I've read has pinned the stock pullback to CoD sales results.

I know there's this ever present overwhelming need to pin whatever people can on WoW/Blizzard to justify whatever narrative they're pushing, but the reality is the market is more concerned with a bell weather product not producing at the level anticipated.

Apparently a half billion dollar launch wasn't good enough.

The next thing they're looking for is the quarterly report. Not response from Blizzcon.
Wow. If nothing else, at least people know not to go to you to learn how the stock market works.
11/06/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Crepe
Every single analyst I've read has pinned the stock pullback to CoD sales results.

I know there's this ever present overwhelming need to pin whatever people can on WoW/Blizzard to justify whatever narrative they're pushing, but the reality is the market is more concerned with a bell weather product not producing at the level anticipated.

Apparently a half billion dollar launch wasn't good enough.

The next thing they're looking for is the quarterly report. Not response from Blizzcon.
Expand the stock history out to more than a month and you'll see that the stock has actually been on a downward trend since the beginning of October.

Expand it out to a year and you'll see that the stock has been on a slight upward trend where the stock will rise, fall, and then rise higher to where it was previously.

You can't judge the overall health of a stock based on a few days of data.
Stock in Apples drops, as people don't like what is going on with Oranges.
11/06/2018 10:22 AMPosted by Bojanglz
Question. How come you don't post the stock stuff when they jumped high a month or 2 ago? And all the other times it jumped high?

Probably because there was a major negative reaction to a live announcement at Blizzcon Friday that caused Blizzard and Diablo fans to go ballastic over the weekend on a very public and easy to track website. Followed by a drop in stock prices on the following Monday.

Did they announce a "great new thing" a month or two ago to cause stock prices to rise?
Yea, I bought the StarCraft Remaster in Pre-Order Epic edition. I'm sad I can't buy the WarCraft Reforged Epic Edition because I refuse to give Blizzard more money after the Diablo Mobile Micro Transaction game release. I'd be off WoW if I hadn't already 6 month subbed. I'm so freaking mad right now. Blizzard better have a real Diablo 4 and a Diablo 2 remaster to announce soon or they are going to lose big.
Suddenly everyone becomes armchair stock market experts overnight.
11/06/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Sím
Suddenly everyone becomes armchair stock market experts overnight.

Everyone is a stock market genius in a bull market.
Leaked diablo 4 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXGe8ApgpI to try to counter the stock plummet. Was suppose to be released towards the end of the diablo panel but got changed.
“Blizzard severely miscalculated how their fans would respond, which suggests they aren’t in touch with their players as maybe they should be.”

I don't even care about the mobile game, but having read this exact sentiment in many, many posts on the WoW forum since BfA launched I wonder if Blizz will take it seriously now that its getting written into reports by stock analysts...

I've come a long way from dismissing this criticism, and now, especially around class design and a few other issues (along with watching how they respond in Q&As, etc...), really, really am beginning to think its 100% spot on.
Let's hope the next practice to be outlawed in Europe, and to an extent the United States of America and other countries, is microtransactions and other predatory business models such as loot boxes which is legal gambling for minors. Hopefully in the near future, companies such as Activision-Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, etc will have to develop and publish games that're able to stand on their own without the need of predatory business models. And if not, let them die. If Activision-Blizzard can no longer develop games that're able to stand on their own without predatory means, then I say let their company die because they deserve it.

Diablo Immortal marks a change in Activision-Blizzard that they no longer truly care about the community that made them who they are and only about the investors that turned them to these predatory business models. Even in World of Warcraft, we see more and more things to extent the playtime of users by grinding RNG and other means to keep us logged in. It's sad to see that EA might soon have a running mate in the 2019 worst gaming company of the year award.

So long, Blizzard. Hello, Activision.
Yes let's talk about the stock market while not understanding it at all to make us feel better about ourselves for being terrible.
11/06/2018 04:40 AMPosted by Edri
11/06/2018 04:33 AMPosted by Shadowsóng
Players have been screaming to get rid of Titanforging and put vendors back in the game for a long time. Blizzard fails to listen
Players have been screaming about allowing player housing in the game (before you say garrisons, that was not player housing). Blizzard fails to listen

Funny how everyone thinks their idea is the player majority screaming about the same thing.

I don't care, and nobody I play with cares about player housing. I wouldn't care if they added it or not, and neither would every other player I know.

Titanforging isn't the worst. In a day and age with so many welfare epics, it doesn't matter if they get rid of it or not. !@#$ty players will still get their trophies regardless of TF or not. It's just how Blizzard works now, everyone gets a trophy.

And in regards to vendors, no I dont want that. Nobody i know wants that. That's something I've only seen on the forums since it was implemented.
The stock changes look like normal ups and downs to me. I would hardly call a 4 point dip a "plunge".

Seriously, you guys need to talk about actual things not made up garbage.

Yes, the players don't like the idea of a mobile-only game. Yes, Blizz went about announcing this in what couldn't be more of the "wrong way". But this mobile only game will make bank for Blizz. The stock is fine. The delivery of the news, and the "mobile only" aspect, are the problem.