The "You're not entitled" myth...

General Discussion
1 2 3 11 Next
I'm seeing many people comment that a big problem with the Blizzard/player relationship is that the players feel "entitled".

I believe a majority of them do....And they should.

WE pay Blizzard. They work for us. They are autonomous but their income comes from the players. And in any relationship there will be some discord from time to time. The parties should be able to work through it for the relationship to continue.

However, both parties should be aware of their role....of their place.

Blizzard needs its players. Otherwise, they fold. Revenue plummets, stock values drop, investors bail.

The players do not need Blizzard. They have an abundance of options for their entertainment needs.

And because of that dynamic, the players are entitled.
If it’s really that simple then just demand they do what you want and they will.

...but... it isn’t that simple.
This post reeks of the "customer is always right" mentality that, having worked in customer service, I loathe. You are not entitled to your own personal wishlist being granted to you from this company. You are entitled to what they promise you. If they say "We will release an expansion on August 14th" and they release it after August 14th, you have been wronged. The community is not a collective voice, and individuals disagree. Only when those opinions are made known and tracked as a whole can a company actually act on them.

11/06/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Onorlus
WE pay Blizzard. They work for us.

No. No they don't. The customer is not always right. You have absolutely no creative control over Blizzard content, that's what they pay game developers for. Your role is to play the games and offer feedback, and if they don't make their games to your liking, you stop paying for them.
Aw how cute...Johnny had an epiphany.

You're entitled to not pay for a service or product that does not meet your expectations. That's the only thing you're entitled to...oh, and to be protected from fraudulent business practices.
Good luck with that logic.
You're entitled to what they promise, as tin said above. Nothing more, nothing less. If I buy a toaster and then get upset it doesn't also come with a waffle iron then that's my bad for putting my money on that toaster (very simple example).
Blizz doesn't exactly stop people from being overly harsh when they say things like this.

Executive producer and Blizzard co-founder Allen Adham talking about the backlash over the Diablo Unlimited announcement.

Adham chalked it up not to entitlement, but instead to passion. “They love what they love and want what they want,” he said of the fans raging at BlizzCon and across the internet. “That passion, it’s actually what drives us, and we feel it too. It’s why we make games and why we’ve made games for almost three decades now—and why our community is so passionate about our franchises. I understand their feeling and wish we could share more about all the amazing things we’re doing, not just with the Diablo franchise but across the company as a whole.”

https://kotaku.com/blizzard-says-it-wasnt-expecting-fans-to-be-this-angry-1830204721
You’re absolutely right, OP. But you’re still going to get a whole lot of responses arguing that, essentially, you should just be quiet and be happy with whatever you get because you’re not as important as you think you are, and your business and money isn’t as important as you think it is.

Some of these replies will come from Activision stockholders.
I'm seeing many people comment that a big problem with the Blizzard/player relationship is that the players feel "entitled".

WE pay Blizzard. They work for us. They are autonomous but their income comes from the players. And in any relationship there will be some discord from time to time. The parties should be able to work through it for the relationship to continue.

Blizzard needs its players. Otherwise, they fold. Revenue plummets, stock values drop, investors bail.

The players do not need Blizzard. They have an abundance of options for their entertainment needs.

Oh jeez here comes another delusional person who says "We pay Blizzard so they work for us." I just bought an Audi so does Audi for me? They need to add more things then for free since I pay them so now they work for me. I demand free oil changes because I paid a lot of money for the car and am making monthly payments so I want everything done for free.

I pay for electricity and want my whole house rewired a different way and since you work for me now since I pay monthly then you HAVE to do it for free and how I want.

God people sound so stupid.
11/06/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Bojanglz
Oh jeez here comes another delusional person who says "We pay Blizzard so they work for us." I just bought an Audi so does Audi for me? They need to add more things then for free since I pay them so now they work for me. I demand free oil changes because I paid a lot of money for the car and am making monthly payments so I want everything done for free.

I pay for electricity and want my whole house rewired a different way and since you work for me now since I pay monthly then you HAVE to do it for free and how I want.

Like, I went to Aldi the other day and bought some banana chips. That 19 year old guy working the cash register for me and telling me to have a good day works for me now, right? I think I'll give him a raise.

Players often treat wow like they're buying a manicure or something, where it's customized for them and they get to dictate how it's done. The whole "the customer is always right" mantra-dogma thing.. .but they forget that they are only ONE customer here, with opinions often directly opposed to OTHER customers.

The naive think it's as simple as "blizzard doesn't listen to THE customer".. but.. once you understand and grasp the situation better, you realize there is no "THE" customer, there's a LOT of customers and they don't agree with each other.
11/06/2018 08:39 AMPosted by Kirela
If I buy a toaster and then get upset it doesn't also come with a waffle iron then that's my bad for putting my money on that toaster (very simple example).

This is a perfect example. Let me apply it to what I'm saying....

You own a company that makes toasters. You have many customers. But over time, a large portion of your customers ask for a waffle iron to go with the toaster. You have the opinion that your customers don't really want it or need it, so you stick to your toaster-only product.

Your customers leave and get their toaster waffle iron fix somewhere else.

So who needs who?
11/06/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Onorlus
11/06/2018 08:39 AMPosted by Kirela
If I buy a toaster and then get upset it doesn't also come with a waffle iron then that's my bad for putting my money on that toaster (very simple example).

This is a perfect example. Let me apply it to what I'm saying....

You own a company that makes toasters. You have many customers. But over time, a large portion of your customers ask for a waffle iron to go with the toaster. You have the opinion that your customers don't really want it or need it, so you stick to your toaster-only product.

Your customers leave and get their toaster waffle iron fix somewhere else.

So who needs who?

Wait, are you arguing for them to do the Diablo mobile thing?

Like, instead of sticking to their toasters - they should also make waffles?

You have a subset of customers who don't want you to bundle a waffle iron with the toaster, but want you to throw in some frying pan abomination instead.
You now have two subsets of your customer base in direct conflict with each other.
What product do you make? Whose voice do you listen to?
Who is more important?
Of course, they’re going to conveniently forget about that time they tried to remove flying completely and had to walk it back to stem the tide of canceled subs...but remember- you don’t really matter.
11/06/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Tinúviel

You have a subset of customers who don't want you to bundle a waffle iron with the toaster, but want you to throw in some frying pan abomination instead.
You now have two subsets of your customer base in direct conflict with each other.
Who is more important?

Yeah. I think some players don't grasp that most of what we get from Blizzard is a compromise. One side asks for it in black, the other side asks for it in white, Blizzard delivers it in grey - and both sides get upset that they weren't listened to.

I just bought an Audi so does Audi for me?

Yep. Because if enough Audi customers do not like the product and go somewhere else, Audi folds.

So who needs who?
11/06/2018 08:53 AMPosted by Snowfox
Yeah. I think some players don't grasp that most of what we get from Blizzard is a compromise. One side asks for it in black, the other side asks for it in white, Blizzard delivers it in grey - and both sides get upset that they weren't listened to.

You're right, people really don't understand this. If they listened to everyone's voice all the time this game would be physically impossible to make.
"I want the expansion to increase the level cap by 10!"
"I want a level squish! We have too many levels!"
We would never get anything done.

11/06/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Onorlus
Yep. Because if enough Audi customers do not like the product and go somewhere else, Audi folds.

So who needs who?

You need Audi, and other companies like it, because if you live in the United States like I do you have almost zero public transportation options available.
You need a car to get around, Audi provides the car, you buy it. This isn't hard to grasp.
11/06/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Tinúviel

Who is more important?

No one said running a company is easy.
As a millennial, I am supposedly entitled to everything. Haven't figured out how or why yet.