The "You're not entitled" myth...

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next
11/06/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Tinúviel
This post reeks of the "customer is always right" mentality that, having worked in customer service, I loathe. You are not entitled to your own personal wishlist being granted to you from this company. You are entitled to what they promise you. If they say "We will release an expansion on August 14th" and they release it after August 14th, you have been wronged. The community is not a collective voice, and individuals disagree. Only when those opinions are made known and tracked as a whole can a company actually act on them.

11/06/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Onorlus
WE pay Blizzard. They work for us.

No. No they don't. The customer is not always right. You have absolutely no creative control over Blizzard content, that's what they pay game developers for. Your role is to play the games and offer feedback, and if they don't make their games to your liking, you stop paying for them.

Thank you, you put this in words much more eloquently and kindly than I would've.
11/06/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Tinúviel
This post reeks of the "customer is always right" mentality that, having worked in customer service, I loathe. You are not entitled to your own personal wishlist being granted to you from this company. You are entitled to what they promise you. If they say "We will release an expansion on August 14th" and they release it after August 14th, you have been wronged. The community is not a collective voice, and individuals disagree. Only when those opinions are made known and tracked as a whole can a company actually act on them.

No. No they don't. The customer is not always right. You have absolutely no creative control over Blizzard content, that's what they pay game developers for. Your role is to play the games and offer feedback, and if they don't make their games to your liking, you stop paying for them.

No, obviously you have never had a job before. The customer is always right is a undeniable fact of society. People paid a lot of money to watch a stream expecting Disblo 4 and they got a monetized cellphone game instead.

People are allowed to disagree as loudly as they like about anything. Also no one likes a sycophantic.
11/06/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Mvura
But you're not gods. They don't present you with anything - they make things, you buy them. You're under this weird impression that Blizzard's hands move ... for you. They don't. You're not a client, you're a customer. They make, you buy - because you want what they make.

Your ego is tremendous; this is the point. You believe that Blizzard should do nothing but serve you. Any action that isn't in service of what you want is a catalyst for scorn.

Its shameful.
Ahem. I'm the producer of material things. They, move electrons around. If the electrons they move around are in patterns that please me, I reward their diligence with money. They want, what I have. Whether or not I want what they have, is transient, debatable, and subject to my whim. Blizzard, does exist to serve myself and my fellow gods. Any action that isn't in our service, is scornful. Just ask their stockholders and the employees they would be forced to lay off. "Scorn" would be the least of it.
11/06/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Melaroi
11/06/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Mvura
It comes from being on the receiving end of entitled people.

Neil Gaiman on Entitlement Issues:
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

In this article he talks to a fan who is upset that GRR was lagging on releasing the final book of the Song of Fire and Ice series.

Great post, good insight and particularly relevant here on GD.

Not really a good comparison. The subscribers in WoW are not waiting for a future chapter in the game, after paying for the last chapter. They are currently paying and asking for the product to be better. Very big difference.
When you buy a product from Blizzard, you purchase the product as presented. You don't buy the IP, any stocks, or even a position on the team. You buy the game as presented in Gold and that is it. The End.

You can't go into Walmart, pay for an Xbox, and then demand a desktop computer.

If it was like a tax Blizzard imposed on you that you were forced to pay, then yeah, you should have a say. But it isn't. Games are a luxury. You don't need to buy it, you don't need to play it. If you don't like the game, unsub and leave. But Blizzard is not obligated in any writing to pander to you. You, OP, should assume personal responsibility and not buy a product you don't like.

A sub fee isn't stock. You have no rights to the company, the game, or the IP.

You are """entitled""" to s**t all.
11/06/2018 01:20 PMPosted by Ziziana
Not really a good comparison. The subscribers in WoW are not waiting for a future chapter in the game, after paying for the last chapter. They are currently paying and asking for the product to be better. Very big difference.

Due to the location of the thread, it's not entirely clear... but I'm guessing that the OP is talking about larger issues with Blizzard's recent announcements at Blizzcon and not solely WoW, as the recent article that used the term "entitled" that has subsequently spread across multiple internet forums is in regards to Diablo Immortal.

That said, we're here on WoW forums so you have a point - it's perfectly valid to discuss how the game could be better. Some posters demanding features or additions be made solely on their preference could be bordering into "entitled" territory. The difference between "the weekly cache system kind of sucks and I think it can be better" vs. "as a paying customer I demand Blizzard adds/removes X or I quit" is the difference between genuine feedback and useless entitled posturing.
11/06/2018 01:26 PMPosted by Zikarah
Absolutely correct! By the same token, Blizz is """entitled""" to s**t all. Which seems to be Blizz's attitude, starting with Ion Whatzizname. If they want to sell a product, they'd better start communicating with, and listening to, the great unwashed masses out here, who aren't world class raiders or MDI M+ champions. Because that's a pretty small and narrow demographic to pander to.
11/06/2018 01:19 PMPosted by Jamesfisk
11/06/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Mvura
But you're not gods. They don't present you with anything - they make things, you buy them. You're under this weird impression that Blizzard's hands move ... for you. They don't. You're not a client, you're a customer. They make, you buy - because you want what they make.

Your ego is tremendous; this is the point. You believe that Blizzard should do nothing but serve you. Any action that isn't in service of what you want is a catalyst for scorn.

Its shameful.
Ahem. I'm the producer of material things. They, move electrons around. If the electrons they move around are in patterns that please me, I reward their diligence with money. They want, what I have. Whether or not I want what they have, is transient, debatable, and subject to my whim. Blizzard, does exist to serve myself and my fellow gods. Any action that isn't in our service, is scornful. Just ask their stockholders and the employees they would be forced to lay off. "Scorn" would be the least of it.

Your mind goes to strange and wonderful places, my friend.
11/06/2018 01:20 PMPosted by Ziziana

Its an almost direct analog to the Diablo outrage.

We treat Blizzard like a machine rather than like people. If they want to work on Diablo Unlimited instead of Diablo 4, that's their decision. Our having paid them something in the past for something else really doesn't change anything.

Hate to break it you, but you aren’t special. Nor am I or anyone else.

You can make demands. Stamp your feet. Cancel your account and make a long drawn out good bye post, but at the end of the day, you still aren’t special.

Someone else will play and they will keep making the game.
11/06/2018 02:03 PMPosted by Mvura
Your mind goes to strange and wonderful places, my friend.
Senility has pros, as well as cons.

No, we don't. Blizzard employees will get paid regardless of what you do. That's how a contract works. Just because you buy one of their products or pay a subscription fee doesn't mean you get to dictate how their business is run. That isn't how the world works.

The players do not need Blizzard.

If players want Warcraft, they most certainly do need Blizzard. WIthout Blizzard there is no World of Warcraft.
11/06/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Jamesfisk
11/06/2018 01:26 PMPosted by Zikarah
Absolutely correct! By the same token, Blizz is """entitled""" to s**t all. Which seems to be Blizz's attitude, starting with Ion Whatzizname. If they want to sell a product, they'd better start communicating with, and listening to, the great unwashed masses out here, who aren't world class raiders or MDI M+ champions. Because that's a pretty small and narrow demographic to pander to.

See the beauty of the free market?
11/06/2018 02:16 PMPosted by Stompypotato
Hate to break it you, but you aren’t special. Nor am I or anyone else.

You can make demands. Stamp your feet. Cancel your account and make a long drawn out good bye post, but at the end of the day, you still aren’t special.

Someone else will play and they will keep making the game.
Is that why they're down from 12+ million subs to probably less than 2 million? They're still making the game...but fewer and fewer are willing to pay for it. Ask the Wildstar staff on the unemployment line how remaining true to their "vision" and "making it their way" worked out for them.
I see the term 'entitled' being thrown around a lot in regards to the Diablo backlash from either people on social media who are looking form the outside in, or gaming journalists who... well... have become a meme over the past few years.... so we can look past that (if they weren't holding gamers in concept I would be worried something horrible happened to the space/time continuum) .

The people at Blizzard had a right to show dissatisfaction for multiple reasons ranging from presentation and context of the show/expectations, to fears surrounding the predatory nature of mobile gaming and the history of both D3 and the people making the mobile game.

Blizzard also should have 100% expected that reaction, regardless if it was right/wrong. It's actually a little concerning they expected it to go well. Hell take a page from Bethesda and at least show a D4 or D2 remake title screen logo that an intern whipped up with some tristram chimes.

All I know is the boys over at path of exile have been loving this.
11/06/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Zikarah
It's beautiful until the WoW train runs completely off the end of the track. While all of us passengers are hanging out the passenger car windows screaming "PLEASE STOP".
11/06/2018 02:23 PMPosted by Jamesfisk
11/06/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Zikarah
It's beautiful until the WoW train runs completely off the end of the track. While all of us passengers are hanging out the passenger car windows screaming "PLEASE STOP".

Take off your tinfoil hat for a moment and sit tf down. You won't die if you can't get your game fix, you absolute child.
I hate how some people think a little bit of knowledge suddenly makes them brilliant even though they don't understand anything about the fundamentals behind that knowledge.
11/06/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Älexandra
the corporatist, consumerist mindset in this thread is sickening.

why anyone would ever bow and support a company in this way is beyond me. you're all truly deplorable and awful people.

op is right. we're the ones that put money in their bank account. WE are the ones that should ultimately decide what they make.

So do you want to write the story of the next marvel movie you pay to see too? That's what your saying.
11/06/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Brahmina
I hate how some people think a little bit of knowledge suddenly makes them brilliant even though they don't understand anything about the fundamentals behind that knowledge.

Look, I stayed at a holiday inn last night, googled a wikipedia article, and speed-read a tldr about it. I'm basically the world's foremost expert on it now.