can we do classic-only sub for reduced rate?

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next
11/10/2018 03:14 PMPosted by Thermiss
11/10/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Xukon
What is the basis for Classic having a lower sub?

The wow subscription price hasn't gone up in 14 years. I feel pretty safe guessing the main reason for that is not because the 15 a month is super profitable but because wow has opened up alternate revenue streams. Also that 15 a month price probably makes it harder for new games to come out, since they can't possibly ask for a higher price than wow does.

Classic is not going to have alternate revenue streams...

So where is the cost analysis that says classic doesn't deserve 15 a month?

Let me answer that question with a question: If classic is worth $15 a month on it’s own, why would blizzard give it away to people paying $15 a month for a completely separate (beyond partial name) product?

Because a company having two MMOs competing against each other for the same money is a really, really bad idea.

The wow subscription price hasn't gone up in 14 years. I feel pretty safe guessing the main reason for that is not because the 15 a month is super profitable but because wow has opened up alternate revenue streams. Also that 15 a month price probably makes it harder for new games to come out, since they can't possibly ask for a higher price than wow does.

Let me answer that question with a question: If classic is worth $15 a month on it’s own, why would blizzard give it away to people paying $15 a month for a completely separate (beyond partial name) product?

To keep them subbing since BFA is trash?

Because they are the same game with different rulesets?
Your sub supports WoW.
If it's not worth it to you don't pay it. It's a gaming service. You don't like the service. Don't pay for the service.
11/10/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Shendalar
Oh there's nothing to hide - do you really think I'd be bringing up your seeming grumpy and asking how your day was and what you ate, unless I was being a troll? Think about it for a minute. Then smile and relax. Read your posts and laugh - they're hilarious; it's fun!

*for real - you may want to look into some anger management, though. I haven't seen anyone blow up like that on an Internet forum in a long time!
Yeah, IDC. You have nothing to offer in this discussion but personal attacks. GL with that.
11/10/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Khaldun

Um, if you're up for a conversation, I'm still here. My post was near the end of last page :)
Sure, what input do you have?
11/10/2018 06:26 PMPosted by Mellga
11/10/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Shendalar
Oh there's nothing to hide - do you really think I'd be bringing up your seeming grumpy and asking how your day was and what you ate, unless I was being a troll? Think about it for a minute. Then smile and relax. Read your posts and laugh - they're hilarious; it's fun!

*for real - you may want to look into some anger management, though. I haven't seen anyone blow up like that on an Internet forum in a long time!
Yeah, IDC. You have nothing to offer in this discussion but personal attacks. GL with that.
11/10/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Khaldun

Um, if you're up for a conversation, I'm still here. My post was near the end of last page :)
Sure, what input do you have?

Well, my opinion is basically that the reason Blizzard won't be doing separate subs is because they don't want the two games to cannibalize and compete with one another. You?

I never personally attacked you. I just asked if you were OK. Which you don't seem to be because you're still going on.

Seriously - try the eggs.
11/10/2018 06:36 PMPosted by Khaldun
Well, my opinion is basically that the reason Blizzard won't be doing separate subs is because they don't want the two games to cannibalize and compete with one another. You?
Meh, it's already competing with one another.
11/10/2018 07:18 PMPosted by Shendalar
I never personally attacked you. I just asked if you were OK. Which you don't seem to be because you're still going on.

Seriously - try the eggs.
Yeah, I'm no longer conversing with you, anymore. Official last response from me to you, regarding this Thread. Perhaps we'll agree on a later time.
11/09/2018 04:39 AMPosted by Semblance
11/08/2018 03:31 PMPosted by Lawthegrey
Classic: $10.00
Retail: $15.00
Both: $20.00

This, I think, would be the smart move, but...

It should be
Classic = $10
Retail + Classic = $15

This allows people who just want to play classic save a little bit more as we technically aren't using Retail. Where Retail gets classic wow as well and their sub charge doesn't change. In the end ill pay $15, $5 difference a month is nothing to me.

How about

Classic Only = $15
Retail + Retail Classic = $15

This way, you can subscribe to Classic Only servers and be separated from the retail crowd.
11/10/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Padrepwn

Who do you think you are convincing with this weak garbage?
They are separate, completely different content, completely different gameplay, completely different client.

I am downright embarrassed for players like you that flail about hoping nobody who reads your posts actually have reading comprehension and critical thinking.
11/10/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Padrepwn
Your sub supports WoW.
If it's not worth it to you don't pay it. It's a gaming service. You don't like the service. Don't pay for the service.

You might have lost track of the conversation.

Somebody claimed that the cost of Classic alone justified a $15 price tag.

The response question asks why retail only costs 15 if classic only cost 15. A valid question, since retail actually has to generate the revenue to pay for new content.

If the $15 is going to the same game, just with different rulesets and development teams and design goals (which in and of itself is akin to claiming that chess and Candyland are the same game because the board happens to be square), then the original point is bunk. Classic doesn't cost $15 all by itself. Classic costs $15 in order to help pay for development on retail. I don't think anybody would deny that the retail subscription helps pay for retail expansion development.

As a side note, is it possible that the subscription price has not gone up over the years because server technology has gotten better, allowing more to be done with less?
11/10/2018 08:51 PMPosted by Anaramth
(which in and of itself is akin to claiming that chess and Candyland are the same game because the board happens to be square)

That pretty much nails the ludicrous "same game" argument.
11/08/2018 03:27 PMPosted by Syllvester
I don't care much for retail but I also don't think I'm gonna shell out $15/mo sub for a game so old and which will probably not receive much if any in terms of content updates, especially when looking at the reactionary nature of vanilla fans to touching its original pristine state. I'm sure many players are willing to pay it, but it's just kind of an issue of principle for me.

there any mention of a classic-only sub which might lower the sub fee down?

I get 10-14 hours a week entertainment from my sub.
Name one other source of entertainment thats as cost effective.

Stop being cheap.
I thought during the panel he said that if you had an active retail sub, you could play Classic also for free. I don't remember him saying what the price would be if you were only going to play classic. I thought it was a very distinctive remark while watching the classic panel.
11/08/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Mogar
11/08/2018 03:32 PMPosted by Phront

Not a chance. Adding a larger fee to current BfA players (such as myself) would be a fantastic way to reduce engagement in Classic. We want more players, not fewer.
Sadly, after watching Tips' pvp tournament my fears were confirmed: losers with nothing else to do in BfA will absolutely troll Classic. And it's not going to be a rare thing.

And in a month you're going to massively outlevel anyone who just tries to troll for a couple hours when a week's worth of boredom sets in.

This is a non issue. it's fear mongering to sow resentment.
11/10/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Cuina
11/08/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Mogar
... Sadly, after watching Tips' pvp tournament my fears were confirmed: losers with nothing else to do in BfA will absolutely troll Classic. And it's not going to be a rare thing.

And in a month you're going to massively outlevel anyone who just tries to troll for a couple hours when a week's worth of boredom sets in.

This is a non issue. it's fear mongering to sow resentment.
Every Retail player who gets upset with Retail will come bring their negativity to classic servers. Eventually with enough content lulls in retail they will reach max level. Some of the most toxic players are the ones with no life that can play video games for 16 hours a day. All progression in Classic is forever, you can't just wait for the next patch to get catch up mechanics like in Retail. So it's likely that the toxic retail players will level to 60 and at least do pug runs for raid gear and then troll people all day whilst they get declined from mythic +5s all day.
11/10/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Apropos
Every Retail player who gets upset with Retail will come bring their negativity to classic serve

Why? why would most even bother?
Nope.
11/08/2018 03:31 PMPosted by Lawthegrey
Classic: $10.00
Retail: $15.00
Both: $20.00

This, I think, would be the smart move, but...

No, the smart move would be Classic = $7-$10, retail remains $15 but still includes classic for free.

11/10/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Arcena
11/09/2018 04:39 AMPosted by Semblance

It should be
Classic = $10
Retail + Classic = $15

This allows people who just want to play classic save a little bit more as we technically aren't using Retail. Where Retail gets classic wow as well and their sub charge doesn't change. In the end ill pay $15, $5 difference a month is nothing to me.

How about

Classic Only = $15
Retail + Retail Classic = $15

This way, you can subscribe to Classic Only servers and be separated from the retail crowd.

That makes 0 sense. Why would I pay the same price and only get 1 thing when I could get 2 things? Even if I don't want thing 2, I'm gonna pick that option just in case I change my mind.
or $15 for both is fine
11/10/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Thundathys
I get 10-14 hours a week entertainment from my sub.Name one other source of entertainment thats as cost effective.

Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime? FF XIV? Any F2P game? Overwatch? Any AAA game that has engaging end-game? There are a lot of things that are actually better value, not just "as good".