Miss when the world was built for flying

General Discussion
I miss the flight myself, but I must give them credit, these new zones are much more open and less forced paths of travel than the last 2 xpacs, they feel a lot more natural.

But yes, I too miss flying, I feel I would have explored the land more if I were able to. I wont be getting Pathfinder this xpac, instead I will make my own path.
11/10/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Shónuff
I wont be getting Pathfinder this xpac, instead I will make my own path.

As long as you're just playing casually, and not in war mode I think that is fine. Just remember everyone is getting azerite and gear 3x-5x+ faster than you. So you'll never be able to keep up with their AZ levels.

You may also find it harder to get into raids above LFR if AZ gear becomes more useful later in the expac.
Our guild doesn't care much about that gearscore crap. The raids are more of a bowling night for us, but sadly as the population drops so does the chance the few of us that have been raiding together the last 9 years get to run consistently. I stopping pugging years ago.

War Mode lol, World pvp is nothing more than a bunch of cowards and their gankfests, it will never change.

Just like in Legion, the AZ grind is an illusion, the catch up mechanics will trivialize endless hours of grinding. If we decide to participate in the next raid, we'll be fine.

None of that is on topic of course, so lets steer back. Casual or not, I miss the ability to fly. I also been feeling lately that if we cannot fly, mounts with wings shouldn't be allowed to be used... It's just goofy.
good riddance to manufactured terrains like in mop where stuff was up and down for no other reason than to make flying harder. (jade forest was the worst)

the best part of wod was that some maps were actually based upon having level terrain... to think a gaming company could do this.

look at bfa, and tell me how many of the 6 maps have any level terrain? that's right, only one of them sort of does: voldun... the rest are mazes.
11/10/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Ragoshan
World PvP is a mess and has always been an unbalanced mess and the lack or addition to flying wont change that | Change My Mind
world pvp is meant to be messy.
11/10/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Arkelion
Remember when you could farm nodes in the air?

I don't think that was good design.

Much like I don't think Azerite armor is good design.

WoW was unique because it not only had flight, but certain aspects were built around having it. They abandoned that model, and that's what this thread is lamenting.

The current content COULD HAVE made flight necessary to unlock certain parts of it, and that would have been a great reason for people to keep playing.

I don't remember that.
What I remember is people threatening to quit the game because they couldn't afford to buy flight.
11/11/2018 01:41 AMPosted by Whitecrow
What I remember is people threatening to quit the game because they couldn't afford to buy flight.

I don't remember any such thing. Do you have a link to any posts that contained those kind of complaints?
11/10/2018 11:01 AMPosted by Acialga
My god its coming, its only been what 4 months. First patch of the expac hasnt even came out yet. Let us have fun with our wpvp before yall ruin it with flyin.

You can still wpvp when flying is available. Flying doesn't disable pvp last I checked.
11/10/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Boskins
Flying has felt very unnecessary since they added Pathfinder achievements in WoD because the world is no longer designed for it. Obviously, it is a convenience. Between DH glide, Engineering tinkers, Goblin Gliders, Flight Paths, FM Whistle and Paku totems (for Horde) there is really no NEED for flying in BFA. I miss when the world was built around flying; there was so much in TBC you couldn’t experience without it. From the Tempest Keep dungeons, to the T5 Tempest Keep raid, to the mountain lakes for farming elementals and fishing; there was an entire world to explore with flying at lvl 70.

If there's no need for flying what would be the harm in letting us fly?
Remember when you could farm nodes in the air?

WoW was unique because it not only had flight, but certain aspects were built around having it. They abandoned that model, and that's what this thread is lamenting.

The current content COULD HAVE made flight necessary to unlock certain parts of it, and that would have been a great reason for people to keep playing.

I don't remember that.

That's completely made up. I've been around since flying first came around and I never saw anybody saying that.
I was an active PVPer in BC/Wrath. Flying did not kill world PVP. That's complete hyperbole. It did help slow camping though. Back when PVP servers were still a thing.

Building an interesting and interactive world around flying is doable, and they have done it before. Forcing me to access everything via ground mount has not made me stop to go "ooo. ahhhh" at their world design, like their postings would lead you to believe. Refusing to build worlds around flying like they have before is at its core a direction for simpler world design, or "lazier" if we want to be blunt about it.

I don't remember that.

That's completely made up. I've been around since flying first came around and I never saw anybody saying that.

Yea, I was a poor AF in BC and got by fine with the 60% flying mount.
11/11/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Yusegoo

Yea, I was a poor AF in BC and got by fine with the 60% flying mount.
Same here brother.
The only reason they keep you from flying is because at the end of the day it saves *time*. The longer you're playing the better. They don't care if you're having fun or not as long you're playing, ie grinding(because that's what games are about these days).

I think it was wotlk where at max level you could buy a book that unlocked flying and you could send this book to your alts. That was by far the best design imo. Then again we didn't have world quests back then. I guess they didn't really care if you had flying or not.
I remember how much fun I had flying around Storm Peaks back in the day. It was exciting to fly through such a huge, massive zone with mountains and ice flows everywhere. Then flying around a corner and seeing Ulduar stretching away into the distance, both in front of me and below, was probably one of the most memorable experiences I've had in WoW.

Too bad that part of the game went away years ago.
Seems like most people complaining about flying are pvp’ers. Well here’s a news flash: WOW is predominately a PVE game. If you want to kill other players, go play a first person shooter. You, as a pvp focused player, are in the monority. If you weren’t, Blizz wouldn’t dedicate the majority of its resources to dungeons, raids, quests, etc. PVP is just a cheap toss in. There is absolutely no reason to take something that a majority of players enjoy away just to please a very vocal minority.

In my opinion, flying is now being withheld as long as possible to improve their new love child “Time Played” metric. The longer it takes you to do somet, the better they like it. Also, I feel that Ion is still pouting about not being able to remove flying all together in Warlords and is still showing us who’s boss by withholding it.
Take this opinion for what it’s worth, which is basically nothing.
I think, in general, the zones could be more interesting rather than just walking around on the ground. There really should be zones with massive floating islands, deep underground caverns with winding bridges between them.. I kind of get the same vibe when I play WoW. Like, here's a very basic zone with a few sprinkled caves and a couple mountains. The environment artists do well but the creativity of the zones themselves are very lackluster. They all feel the same besides the actual nature and mobs.
Blizzard says they learned from Legion.

Doubles down and makes flight take four months LONGER than in Legion.

They. dont. listen.
11/10/2018 09:44 AMPosted by Kugsneak
seriously

floating islands, places that were unreachable any other way, a verticality that is completely missing from the new 'grounded' design

really think bliz is missing an opportunity here, but they are so stuck on using flying as a carrot to force activity

I’d love to bring flying back, but as a legit mechanic, not like “I can now swim in the air” style movement. Like, you need to get a running start, maintain lift, account for wind and drag, taking a hit could topple your mount, etc. it would make eyries a legit thing. Add in the ability to use abilities/cast/jump from them like a platform, and now it’s a whole new ballgame.

But, in the current mode of “just faster movement because I want to move faster”, I’d almost rather they just remove it entirely.
I feel like people who hate flying are the ones who PVP. I want flying back so I'd love to see it that there is no flying in War Mode. If I'm doing PVE with War Mode off I'm not hurting anyone. It does not effect your gameplay in anyway. So War Mode on = flying off and vice versa.