Play Healer, Win More

Battlegrounds
I read a lot of posts by people saying "play a healer and you'll win more" when others complained about terrible losing streaks in random BGs.

After playing Ret Paladin for all of Legion, I took that advice to heart and tried out Holy in BFA.

Yes, playing a healer felt as if I had far more agency in determining victory than when I played a damage dealer. But there was something more to it. After playing a healing class, I truly understood their plight in BGs.

I played Holy Paladin in a WSG where Alliance had 2 Rogues. Both Rogues were on me at the same time as I watched my Warrior teammate run through my character to charge the enemy healer. I could not express my disappointment in the lack of awareness I witnessed. Needless to say I eventually died and we lost the match.

I think everyone should try playing healer for just enough games until you endure getting trained with no help from your teammates and letting them rage at you for not healing them. That frustration put the healer's role into perspective for me. The experience made me acutely aware of my role not only as a damage dealer, but also as a protector for my healers.

As a result, I became a far greater asset to my teams and I seem to win more often whether or not I play a healer class.
Why would the warrior start hitting the rogues if a healer is free healing them? Now, if you're complaining he didn't try to help you a bit by CCing them, fine. But I don't understand what you think he should do if an enemy healer is healing two other enemies vs. you and him.
Maybe enough to let the healer escape.. or to make the rogues back off a bit? Idk, 2v3 isn't very good odds either way.
11/10/2018 09:39 PMPosted by Utterly
Why would the warrior start hitting the rogues if a healer is free healing them? Now, if you're complaining he didn't try to help you a bit by CCing them, fine. But I don't understand what you think he should do if an enemy healer is healing two other enemies vs. you and him.

I know there wasn't much context in that anecdote. The Warrior did not fear the Rogues. Even if he didn't have fear up, if he could slow them, that would give me enough time to create distance and get a safe hard cast to keep myself and consequently the rest of my team alive.

My point is that a little help goes a long way for a healer. Just as the damage dealers depend on heals to stay in the fight, healers depend on some crowd control and pressure relief to also stay in the fight.

Playing as a healer gave me better awareness when I also play as a damage dealer. When I do what I can to protect my healers, I see a significant improvement in the quality of my games.

!. Fear them

2. Stun one if possible.

In a 2v3 fight the goal is too survive and keep the Rogues distracted, not kill them.

A single peel can keep this going longer. You may die eventually but it could win the game.
Besides just situational awareness and players targeting healers by skill. More-so now it's players using third party add-ons that will show them healers and make it easier to find, target, and attack them.
Why do so many people not know the difference between to and too. I literally see people get it wrong constantly.
Healers in randoms go in expecting to get trained into the dirt while their teammates run past them, jump into 5v1 situations, then exclaim "NO HEALS???!!!" in chat. The occasions where dps are actually cognizant of their surroundings and peel for their heals are very much welcomed.
Playing both sides I find that one of the issues alliance have is their dps are mongoloids. Rarely anyone will peel. Average horde player does seem to have a bit more situational awareness.

But the funny thing is that the people that will chase you all game trying to score a kill are always blood elf demonhunters. They never do and that means you've effectively cc'd one of their dps.
To be fair, holy paladin is more of a headache in solo queue than other healers.

Where coordination is more rare, you’re better off playing priest with better mitigation and a second healing school or something like druid which actually has the possibility to escape without many friendly peels.

Really though, what you’re touching on is why I think healers in general are such a rare commodity. Besides being the most AddOn reliant role in my opinion, you’re limited by your team’s awareness in a way that DPS just isn’t. Being the most sensible train target isn’t exactly enjoyable either.
11/11/2018 05:11 AMPosted by Erelir
To be fair, holy paladin is more of a headache in solo queue than other healers.

Where coordination is more rare, you’re better off playing priest with better mitigation and a second healing school or something like druid which actually has the possibility to escape without many friendly peels.

Really though, what you’re touching on is why I think healers in general are such a rare commodity. Besides being the most AddOn reliant role in my opinion, you’re limited by your team’s awareness in a way that DPS just isn’t. Being the most sensible train target isn’t exactly enjoyable either.

I'm actually playing disc. I can 1v1 and stay alive and 2v1 is doable if they're bad - or at least I can buy time.

But being in the middle of a fray, healing your team, only to have melee whiz right by them and stick to you like glue is frustrating.

I actually changed my spec around so that it's better for escapes/1v1 since I don't get a chance to heal my team anyway I lure one dps that's hounding me away from the group. Solo him and then come back. Most of the time when I get back my group isn't alive because the horde dps actually peeled for their healers. :D

I now have to do things like I only fight near cliffs / places where I can mind control and abuse the z-axis to live.

I'm working on leveling up this guy to see if Hpal is fun - but Ret sure is!
11/11/2018 01:57 AMPosted by Floyln

!. Fear them

2. Stun one if possible.

In a 2v3 fight the goal is too survive and keep the Rogues distracted, not kill them.

A single peel can keep this going longer. You may die eventually but it could win the game.

Warrior charges are game mechanically teleports and don't allow for an action in the middle. The warrior was just going for the enemy healer, which is what everyone usually says the Horde do and the Alliance don't.

Nice to see some acknowledgement that tunneling the enemy healers might not be such a great tactic after all.
11/11/2018 03:39 AMPosted by Leadbelly
Playing both sides I find that one of the issues alliance have is their dps are mongoloids. Rarely anyone will peel. Average horde player does seem to have a bit more situational awareness.

This matches my experience too. On Alliance side, it's extremely rare to see a friendly DPS use CC against the guy that's tunneling me. It doesn't necessarily happen on Horde side as much as I'd like it to, but it does happen more often.

But the funny thing is that the people that will chase you all game trying to score a kill are always blood elf demonhunters. They never do and that means you've effectively cc'd one of their dps.

And by the same token, he has effectively CC'd one of your team's healers (you). Not usually a good trade-off IMO.
11/11/2018 03:21 AMPosted by Awdawefaegf
Why do so many people not know the difference between to and too. I literally see people get it wrong constantly.

Me two.
I like the point of the thread though.
11/11/2018 03:39 AMPosted by Signey
Healers in randoms go in expecting to get trained into the dirt while their teammates run past them, jump into 5v1 situations, then exclaim "NO HEALS???!!!" in chat. The occasions where dps are actually cognizant of their surroundings and peel for their heals are very much welcomed.

^ This...so much.

I have max level healers on both Horde and Alliance. There is nothing that triggers me more in a random BG than when ignorant dps start insulting the healer because they did not try to assist the healer in any way shape or form and the healer is in the graveyard, or they have left the healer to solo guard a flag in a BG like AB. This happens FAR more frequently on Alliance (in my experience).

I will never be the person in the BG who says "roll a healer then", because I know that it is often a thankless task.
11/11/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Arganoth
I have max level healers on both Horde and Alliance. There is nothing that triggers me more in a random BG than when ignorant dps start insulting the healer because they did not try to assist the healer in any way shape or form and the healer is in the graveyard, or they have left the healer to solo guard a flag in a BG like AB. This happens FAR more frequently on Alliance (in my experience).

Yeah, had this happen today.
A tip of the hat to the OP

Sometimes it's not a terrible idea to focus a dps to get them off your healer and force their healer to blow cds on them so you can turn to them once your healer has had time to recover.
11/11/2018 03:39 AMPosted by Leadbelly

This matches my experience too. On Alliance side, it's extremely rare to see a friendly DPS use CC against the guy that's tunneling me. It doesn't necessarily happen on Horde side as much as I'd like it to, but it does happen more often.

And by the same token, he has effectively CC'd one of your team's healers (you). Not usually a good trade-off IMO.

I can deal with my team letting me get trainedt IF they are CC'ing the enemy heals but they usually don't.. so yeah.. where do those CC's go? The world may never know..