Was Arms Warrior Viable?

Classic Discussion
11/11/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Satanael
Yeah. I think I'm just not playing WoW anymore. Thx all.

Bye Felicia.
11/12/2018 02:46 AMPosted by Keedillin
Best pvp spec is Holy Pally, they wield number two spec the arms warrior the best.
Some guilds won't take an arms warrior for pve... and even if they do if you want t win the meter race you won't want to roll into the raid as arms.

Not everyone felt the need to flex their e-peen in Damage Meters then, and I'm sure there will be plenty who don't when Classic hits. It wasn't necessary for all your DPS to min-max by any means. I'm sure there will be Arms warriors in raids in Classic, just as there was back then.
11/11/2018 09:52 PMPosted by Stevospeedo
Sulfuras belongs to Paladins/Shamans that suck it up and heal, not to improperly spec'd warriors who have so many better options available.
Those "better options" are only going to be available well after your guild doesn't even bother with MC anymore. When MC becomes available, and for quite a while afterwards, Sulfuras will be completely unrivaled.

It's also kind of dumb to discount Arms on the grounds of min/maxing, then promote giving a legendary weapon to someone who would never even consider using it in raids.
not at all because Mortal Strike takes up a debuff slot but is 100% useless in PvE

in PvP, sure you were one of the most sought after class/spec but not in any way, shape or form PvE wise.
In PvE not at all. I'm sure it's echoed in these posts, but you can't use deep wounds and you can't use mortal strike.

2h fury isn't super duper terrible as horde, and I think it's functional with alliance using a slam variation.
Arms warrior is great fun in Vanilla. PVP they are very strong. Now read what I am about to say very carefully as this is totally viable and very fun. I used to play a private server as MT. I would get bored of prot tanking after a few weeks, so to mix it up between raid days I would respec Arms. (very expensive to do, but totally worth it if you have the gear). I mainly went arms to go PVP, but I also built a set of gear that had high + Dodge/ + Parry (Draconic Avenger), and lots of AP. I would then get 2 healers (I'd recommend 1 be a resto shaman for the WF totem) for a 5-man or 3 healers for UBRS and go 2-Hand tank the !@#$ out of it. I would pull 70+% damage for the instance and have a huge blast doing this. Convincing healers that this is a good idea can sometimes be a pain tho haha.

Anyways. Arms is probably the most fun thing to do in vanilla once geared properly and have correct supporting players.
Arms was the default dps spec for warrior until late on vanilla.
11/12/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Aranhod
Those "better options" are only going to be available well after your guild doesn't even bother with MC anymore. When MC becomes available, and for quite a while afterwards, Sulfuras will be completely unrivaled.

This isn't true at all...

Bonereaver's Edge and Spinal Reaper are both superior to Sulfuras for a Warrior. By the BWL tier, Ashkandi was WELL above Sulfuras as well.

You aren't accounting for Weapon spec when talking about an Arms warrior. Mace spec was hot garbage anywhere but PvP, and even then Sword/Axe was superior via the damage scaling on what was already an absurdly strong damage dealing spec.

That being said Arms was garbage in pvE as well (as was Ret and enhance) so your guild shouldn't let any of those specs into your raid, if it's pretending to know what it is doing.

For alliance:
there's simply no reason to not give Sulfuras to a ret, if your guild takes one, with Warriors getting a chance to roll as offspec-pvp alongside Hpaladins. It is a PURELY PvP weapon for them, and only a Ret will use it, and only when they don't have Nightfall in the game and crafted (at which point it's purely a PvP weapon for Ret too)

For Horde:
It gets a tiny bit trickier, since 2h-"Slam" Fury is actually viable with WF totem. That being said, Bonereaver's Edge is still a better PvE option, assuming you get both to drop (BRE is super rare, like the eye to craft sulfuras, as well as Spinal Reaper).. I'd give a Sulfuras to a 2h Fury over an Enhance since they'd get some pvE usage out of it, but overall it's still better rolled on entirely as a PvP weapon.

11/12/2018 03:28 PMPosted by Elbardo
Arms was the default dps spec for warrior until late on vanilla.

In real vanilla yes... but starting from a 1.12 baseline it's not even close, and fury blows it away.
11/12/2018 12:39 AMPosted by Rongente
And also because we were too stupid to understand we should focus the healers ...

Warriors have a nice, and it is the small battles from 2v2 up to, let's say 5v5. More than that, and they will be controlled while the healers are downed and in 1v1 most of the classes can kite them or outlive them.

Also - todays warriors understand they have to protect their healers and they have the ways to do it. I remember when a full rage bar arms warrior would get to me as a 5k hp druid my health bar would melt in 3 globals. Not much i could do about it...

Strange as my druid usually didn't fall in pvp unless it had at least 3 people attacking it.
11/12/2018 02:40 AMPosted by Rastaimposta
Arms warrior didnt have spot in raids because they use up 2 debuff slots. Raids might take 1, but that's it.

It's a very valid point that you don't want too many of them, but 1-2 isn't an issue and the guild I ran with back then always had 1 or 2 present. Depending on your DPS composition, there's more room for flexibility on how many you can allow, since some comps don't need all 16 debuffs as much as others. We didn't really have 'locks in regular attendance or many caster DPS in general but were Rogue-heavy so it wasn't a big deal to have 2 Arms Wars or an Arms and a Hemo Rogue.

You had mainly melee dps and almost no ranged? I feel sorry for your healers.
11/11/2018 08:54 PMPosted by Espur
and a healer

Anyone can be good with a pocket healer.
11/12/2018 03:43 PMPosted by Ghannagh
11/11/2018 08:54 PMPosted by Espur
and a healer

Anyone can be good with a pocket healer.

2 raid healing druids pocket healing for each other can squirrel half the enemy pvp team all day. You will never bring them down while they are together and just wanting to squirrel you rather than fight lol
Arms is a great spec to level and is arguably the best PvP spec. Arms has a lot more burst potential and mortal strike (probably one of the top 3 abilities of any class in Vanilla). Fury will out DPS in PVE as it has higher sustained damage.
11/11/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Aranhod
It is very important to note that while their dps wasn't top tier in PvE, Arms Warriors are still very desirable in raid groups because they can switch to off-tanking when needed, and still provide very solid dps when not tanking. Also, their DPS shoots through the roof during the execute phase, which can be incredibly useful for some encounters.

That's not even mentioning that your guild will almost certainly give Sulfuras to an Arms Warrior, at which point you become a tiny god.

Most of arms' scaling comes from talents that take debuff slots. Rend, Deep Wounds, Impale, and Mortal Strike are all major dps abilities for the Arms warrior that they simply cannot use due to debuff limit.

Sulfuras is a Ret Paladin weapon on alliance (in hybrid spellpower/str gear, the spell coefficient from the Fireball proc pushes Ret into a high preforming dps spec on bosses that aren't fire resistant). For Horde, Sulfuras goes to Enhancment for the same reason. For shaman, it's a very large powerspike, and it stacks with another potential powerspike the spec has when they have enough melee and spell hit to afford to go 21/30/0 over the enh/resto build. Both specs end up as competitive dps with Sulfuras. It does everything both specs want. It's slow, it has a huge spell damage proc that scales on sp.

The warrior can't effectively use it, because arms isn't raid viable, and 2h fury doesn't really cut it. It's best on hybrids, so that they can turn their dreams of being a real dps into a reality.
Really it goes to whoever can equip and benefit from it and bids the most DKP for it.
11/12/2018 03:47 PMPosted by Drakonov
11/11/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Aranhod
It is very important to note that while their dps wasn't top tier in PvE, Arms Warriors are still very desirable in raid groups because they can switch to off-tanking when needed, and still provide very solid dps when not tanking. Also, their DPS shoots through the roof during the execute phase, which can be incredibly useful for some encounters.

That's not even mentioning that your guild will almost certainly give Sulfuras to an Arms Warrior, at which point you become a tiny god.

Most of arms' scaling comes from talents that take debuff slots. Rend, Deep Wounds, Impale, and Mortal Strike are all major dps abilities for the Arms warrior that they simply cannot use due to debuff limit.

Sulfuras is a Ret Paladin weapon on alliance (in hybrid spellpower/str gear, the spell coefficient from the Fireball proc pushes Ret into a high preforming dps spec on bosses that aren't fire resistant). For Horde, Sulfuras goes to Enhancment for the same reason.

The warrior can't effectively use it, because arms isn't raid viable, and 2h fury doesn't really cut it. It's best on hybrids, so that they can turn their dreams of being a real dps into a reality.

This guy gets it. If your raid/guild screws over your Paladins/Shamans by giving Sulfuras to a Warrior they are morons. It is at best a short-term upgrade for a warrior and giving the time and material cost is infinitely better in the hands of a Paladin or Shaman who will get maximum use of it in both PvE and PvP for a longer times since they will be waiting much longer for a chance at the other high end 2H weapons that drop.
Arms wasnt allowed in Raiding only because the Mortal Strike debuff was almost NEVER wanted up. In rare cases it was needed to stop healing on a mob when it self healed but outside of that you cant use Mortal Strike on raid bosses with 16 debuff slots.
11/12/2018 03:55 PMPosted by Stevospeedo
This guy gets it. If your raid/guild screws over your Paladins/Shamans by giving Sulfuras to a Warrior they are morons. It is at best a short-term upgrade for a warrior and giving the time and material cost is infinitely better in the hands of a Paladin or Shaman who will get maximum use of it in both PvE and PvP for a longer times since they will be waiting much longer for a chance at the other high end 2H weapons that drop.

Paladin and Shaman !@#$ with this weapon so hard. Both specs benefit so much from it. It's everything ENH and Ret want in a weapon. It's a slow 2h weapon with melee stats with a massive proc that scales on spell damage. Arms just doesn't get the same value out of the weapon. Sulfuras is BiS until Naxx's Might of Menithil if I remember right, for ret. Warriors get upgrades far earlier.
11/11/2018 09:52 PMPosted by Stevospeedo
Sulfuras belongs to Paladins/Shamans that suck it up and heal, not to improperly spec'd warriors who have so many better options available.

You sound like the sort of person who gets himself kicked from a guild for whispering everyone to pass on a piece of gear you want.
11/11/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Satanael
Yeah. I think I'm just not playing WoW anymore. Thx all.

blood elf death knight is a tryhard imagine my shock