Was Arms Warrior Viable?

Classic Discussion
Great news!!!! An actual MS classic warrior here to set the facts straight!!!!

I played all of classic as an ARMS warrior 31/20/0. I was top DpS in my guild for MC and BWL. I skipped AQ because of guild drama. I joined another guild an off tanked NAXX for a little bit.

I constantly did stuff people told me I couldn't do. I tanked 5-mans while topping the damage meter. I tanked 10-mans while topping the damage meter. I tanked ZG while topping the damage meter. I carried complete noobs on their first tours of dungeons. I made it look easy. I did it all in classic as an MS warrior.

I was never out DpSed BY A FURY warrior. (Example my guild had a dedicated fury warrior we would run 5-mans side by side and see who could do the best, HE NEVER BEAT ME. He even switched to MS to try and beat me he still lost.) I barely new any Fury warriors. All the warriors I knew played Arms or Protection. The fury warriors I did know eventually all caved and went Arms. I knew a lot of Arm warriors who raided in all the best guilds on the server. The first hand of rag on the realm went to a HOLY PALADIN he never used it. The second went to a MS warrior he always used it.

I don't know what game some of you were playing during classic, but it wasn't WoW. And if it was you were totally clueless. Every guild I knew raiding successfully brought at least 2 MS warriors and I even seen as many as 7 in a single raid at one time.

Forget what you think you know, if you are at least an average gamer you can make anything work in classic WoW.... Being the top damage/DpS doesn't even matter. Most people were just plain lazy or clueless in classic getting carried by people like me.
11/13/2018 03:24 PMPosted by Crazyrage
if you are at least an average gamer you can make anything work in classic WoW

This
I had a blast on my Arms warrior.

I leveled him up that way, took the Tank talents so he could sword and board 5 mans. And I used him to solo instances, which was great fun. Axe specialty, of course.

Something magic about Sweeping Strikes and a high crit value! Lots of nice squishy sounds.
Not just "maybe," but "hell maybe."
Arms wars can put out good dps.
Mortal strike hits harder than bloodthirst until you get good attack power gear.

But the flurry talent is where the dps is and that is deep in the fury line.

If you have high crit (for flurry procs) and high attack power, fury wars are insane dps
11/11/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Ellilaine
31/5/15 was a reasonably strong all-purpose warrior build. Not the strongest in any single facet of the game but able to do everything reasonably well.

And a 0/0/0 mage it hunter could bend them over the barrel and show them the 50 states lol
My go-to spec for most of Vanilla (up to later parts of Blackwing Lair) was 31-5-15. I called it the "Mortal Tank" build. You had enough survivability and threat to tank and you had enough damage to smack things when you were on single mobs.

But yes, as stated earlier in this thread, Fury was better PVE as the gear progressed, but Arms reigned supreme in PVP.
Arms wars can put out good dps.
Mortal strike hits harder than bloodthirst until you get good attack power gear.

But the flurry talent is where the dps is and that is deep in the fury line.

If you have high crit (for flurry procs) and high attack power, fury wars are insane dps

My go-to spec for most of Vanilla (up to later parts of Blackwing Lair) was 31-5-15. I called it the "Mortal Tank" build. You had enough survivability and threat to tank and you had enough damage to smack things when you were on single mobs.

But yes, as stated earlier in this thread, Fury was better PVE as the gear progressed, but Arms reigned supreme in PVP.

ding and ding

especially once Shield Slam was first introduced in patch 1.6 and then buffed immensely in patch 1.11 making threat not an issue for Fury anymore.
11/13/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Mordegast
11/11/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Ellilaine
31/5/15 was a reasonably strong all-purpose warrior build. Not the strongest in any single facet of the game but able to do everything reasonably well.

And a 0/0/0 mage it hunter could bend them over the barrel and show them the 50 states lol

That's true of any warrior though...
An arms warrior could be brought. The build needs to be without bleeds. Arms will probably get more bang using heroic strikes instead of mortal strikes. The trick is to time the hs so as not to interfere with autoattacks. Mortal strikes should be used only if raid leaders call for it. But 2h fury will be superior in pve.
I played Arms Warrior at game release and leveled from 1-60, so it MAY work for leveling, assuming huge changes were not made between release and 1.12 (I quit around the time that Dire Maul was released).
An arms warrior could be brought. The build needs to be without bleeds. Arms will probably get more bang using heroic strikes instead of mortal strikes. The trick is to time the hs so as not to interfere with autoattacks. Mortal strikes should be used only if raid leaders call for it. But 2h fury will be superior in pve.

Bleeds aren't an issue with debuff priority system - since they are low prio they won't remove a high prio debuff like Curse of Shadow etc - but Mortal Strike being a high prio debuff and it remaining up 100% of the time is a huge issue considering it is literally worthless in PvE.