Alliance & Horde PVP Level Experience

Classic Discussion
Hey all,

So classic servers are coming out...beauty.

I'm looking to roll on a low-to-medium population PVP server come launch. Back when Vanilla launched in 2004 I got an orc hunter, tauren warrior and orc warlock to 60 on a PVE server, so my experience back then with vanilla was very different than what it was for those on PVP servers. My question to ya'll is, by how much?

I'm torn between rolling a human or orc warlock on a pvp server, and I want to know how different the experience will be. The Alliance will be a very different and new levelling experience, but the idea of losing hours because of some undead rogue is tedious. Meanwhile, orc is a safer bet and more familiar levelling experience, but still fresh enough due to being on a PVP server.

So my questions for those who ate, breathed and lived PVP servers are as follows:

Races: Did you find that racials, and the Hordes superior variants, influence your levelling experience on a PVP server? If you were a human Spriest or Warlock, were undead rogues just the utter bane of your existence that ruined the time you've set aside for gaming? Or was it an overblown factor?

Population: How did the usual higher alliance population on each server influence your experience? I've heard that if you're Alliance finding people to do dungeons with is easier, but the lower pop of the Horde gave them a tighter sense of "we have to look out for each other" which ensured help was never far away.

Affect on Class Demand: I'd be interested to see the difference in population of human/gnome warlocks on a PVE server compared to PVP. Does that danger of getting ganked by undead rogues throughout 20 - 60 reduce the overall pop of alliance warlocks at 60, thus causing a demand for them that's greater than the supply, particularly for raids?

Affect on Zones: "There you are Mr Level 20 Orc, go to Hillsbrad Foothills for your questing. What's that? It's right next to the hub for level 30-35 Alliance? Ha ha good luck with that."

Outside of Hillsbrad Foothills, were there any zones that were notorious for faction level imbalance?

Affect on Running Dungeons: The hardest thing about getting a 5-man going was actually finding the 4 other players in the first place. Going to Scarlet Monastery past Undercity and all those hostile Horde who are oscillating with fury? Stuff'em, if you're not toggled the worst they can do is /emote you. But what's it like on a pvp server? Do couple hour dungeons turn into whole afternoon affairs as your group has to fight its way to the dungeon, then rez after a wipe and fight their way back? And that's without dealing with the mobs inside the dungeon.

This goes double for raids and open-world bosses. What's the effect there?

Affect on the Economy: On a PVE server, farming is no problem. You can go out on your merry lonesome and farm to your hearts content with nary a care. But on a PVP server? You can get ganked and camped by some d-bag just because he can, or you could get attacked by opposing faction who are competing with you for those nodes. Does the PVP element drive up the prices of gathered mats because of the increased danger?

Overall Levelling experience: What was your levelling experience like as Alliance/Horde on a pvp server? I got 3 Horde toons to 60 on a PVE server, but I'm tempted by Alliance simply because of the (from what I've read), better lore, more fluid progression zones and (personal preference) better aesthetics and zones (like Duskwood).

And that's about it. Long list, I know, but I'm curious.
First let me start of with saying I never got to play classic. This being said I do have a battle plan in mind for leveling and raiding together as a horde guild on a pvp server.

My plan for when classic rolls out is to make a leveling/raiding guild on a pvp server. The idea is to make a community of players to level up together and provide protection for each other when farming mats for raids. To put it simply protection in numbers. No clue if this means we will be getting into big fights with enemy guilds much, but It's better than getting killed for hours with no one to come to the rescue. I also am playing to do a lot of leveling early in the morning because I do think it will be easier to level when there are less players online to get in fights with.

Outside of this strategy, I definitely feel somewhat nervous about starting a hard core raiding guild on a pvp server. That being said I do think the rewards and prestige of being a hardcore raider in a war torn server is what is going to keep me going.

It will definitely be fun to see how hard it is to do content in contested zones.

Thanks you for reading.

Also quick question, do we get exp for pvp kills?
Honestly, if you want to play warlock and don't really have a faction preference, save yourself a huge headache (if you plan to go on a PvP realm and PvP at all), and go Horde. The difference is incredible - orc stun resist (for rogues) and undead fear resist (for warlocks/priests) will make your life hell. The difference though is that PVP servers tended to be more popular (and I think that'll only be more true this time around, as people know the endgame involves a lot of PVP), so the economy, dungeon running, etc wasn't really affected.

The only thing you'll notice is a lot of skirmishes in the world - especially early when you hit the STV/contested zone areas. You're going to have a lot of war in the world, which is a huge part of vanilla. If that bothers you, you can go to a PvE server, but I do feel you're missing a part of vanilla by doing so.

In all honesty though, play what you want. If you play warlock on Alliance you'll likely be in more demand than if you were horde, and the racials make a difference but you will be able to beat people still by skill and gear - not to mention WotF is a long(ish) cooldown and you can catch them without it.
11/13/2018 03:28 PMPosted by Espur
Honestly, if you want to play warlock and don't really have a faction preference, save yourself a huge headache (if you plan to go on a PvP realm and PvP at all), and go Horde.

[/quote]

You may be right, that's how I've been leaning.

Thanks for the response guys. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say, as I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who played locks/spriests on ally in vanilla.
Hey all,

So classic servers are coming out...beauty.

I'm looking to roll on a low-to-medium population PVP server come launch. Back when Vanilla launched in 2004 I got an orc hunter, tauren warrior and orc warlock to 60 on a PVE server, so my experience back then with vanilla was very different than what it was for those on PVP servers. My question to ya'll is, by how much?

I'm torn between rolling a human or orc warlock on a pvp server, and I want to know how different the experience will be. The Alliance will be a very different and new levelling experience, but the idea of losing hours because of some undead rogue is tedious. Meanwhile, orc is a safer bet and more familiar levelling experience, but still fresh enough due to being on a PVP server.

So my questions for those who ate, breathed and lived PVP servers are as follows:

Races: Did you find that racials, and the Hordes superior variants, influence your levelling experience on a PVP server? If you were a human Spriest or Warlock, were undead rogues just the utter bane of your existence that ruined the time you've set aside for gaming? Or was it an overblown factor?

A good Rogue, warrior, shaman or hunter will wreck a spriest or lock no matter the race, if skill is greater or equal. But as a human you can SS, dance on their corpse, light a fire, wait for the body to go bones..pop perception, and camp the rogue.

Population: How did the usual higher alliance population on each server influence your experience? I've heard that if you're Alliance finding people to do dungeons with is easier, but the lower pop of the Horde gave them a tighter sense of "we have to look out for each other" which ensured help was never far away.

you'll be playing with friends for the most part.

Affect on Class Demand: I'd be interested to see the difference in population of human/gnome warlocks on a PVE server compared to PVP. Does that danger of getting ganked by undead rogues throughout 20 - 60 reduce the overall pop of alliance warlocks at 60, thus causing a demand for them that's greater than the supply, particularly for raids?

alliance locks were rare in alliance side on pservers. I played Horde during vanilla so...
Gonna be some sad, tear filled eyes when the lemmings realize will of the Forsaken really isn't that great in the grand scheme of things.

Affect on Zones: "There you are Mr Level 20 Orc, go to Hillsbrad Foothills for your questing. What's that? It's right next to the hub for level 30-35 Alliance? Ha ha good luck with that."

Outside of Hillsbrad Foothills, were there any zones that were notorious for faction level imbalance?

Don't remember.

Affect on Running Dungeons: The hardest thing about getting a 5-man going was actually finding the 4 other players in the first place. Going to Scarlet Monastery past Undercity and all those hostile Horde who are oscillating with fury? Stuff'em, if you're not toggled the worst they can do is /emote you. But what's it like on a pvp server? Do couple hour dungeons turn into whole afternoon affairs as your group has to fight its way to the dungeon, then rez after a wipe and fight their way back? And that's without dealing with the mobs inside the dungeon.

This goes double for raids and open-world bosses. What's the effect there?

both sides had fun, and the monastery itself would be fought over.

Affect on the Economy: On a PVE server, farming is no problem. You can go out on your merry lonesome and farm to your hearts content with nary a care. But on a PVP server? You can get ganked and camped by some d-bag just because he can, or you could get attacked by opposing faction who are competing with you for those nodes. Does the PVP element drive up the prices of gathered mats because of the increased danger?

Overall Levelling experience: What was your levelling experience like as Alliance/Horde on a pvp server? I got 3 Horde toons to 60 on a PVE server, but I'm tempted by Alliance simply because of the (from what I've read), better lore, more fluid progression zones and (personal preference) better aesthetics and zones (like Duskwood).

And that's about it. Long list, I know, but I'm curious.

Hm
11/13/2018 06:21 PMPosted by Lexxaj
11/13/2018 03:28 PMPosted by Espur
Honestly, if you want to play warlock and don't really have a faction preference, save yourself a huge headache (if you plan to go on a PvP realm and PvP at all), and go Horde.

You may be right, that's how I've been leaning.

Thanks for the response guys. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say, as I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who played locks/spriests on ally in vanilla.[/quote]

A lock has the tools to defeat an undead rogue. You'll die in the process, but you can do it with SS.
There's just a lot ..of bad players out there.
On a pserver, I farmed undead whenever I could, especially locks, I knew most of them rolled horde for this reason.
It was hilarious having them log off, make an alliance, and nerd rage at me.

Play what suits you, and have fun, because no matter what, alliance or Horde, you will be farmed on occasion, but if you're good, and theory out of the problems, you can rise to greatness.
I truly believe Orc is the best PvP racial in the game, but over that, alliance actually has a greater edge over a greater multitude of scenarios... But these are small advantages. Very small advantages.
In general PvP servers were more Horde heavy and PvE servers were more Alliance. Not always, but in general, especially with the original servers in 2004.

War Stomp, WotF, PvP master race was Undead, and the 'bad' (Horde) vs 'good' (Alliance) swung things to Horde in pvp.

The original Blackrock pvp server, for example, was about 85% Horde, but you could still level as Alliance. You just might have to count a bit to track your deaths along the way.

To me the single best thing about a PvP server is Orgrimmar. It's the best PvP city in the game (like one big war camp really), and it is always more vibrant on a PvP server.

I never did a single raid in Vanilla and won't in Classic either. Ding 60 -> PvP. I lucked out in Vanilla and rolled an Undead Shadow Priest by fluke. Arguably the best toon in Vanilla, I'm having a real hard time deciding for Classic. Can't do Priest again. Only thing I know is it will be Undead.
Thanks guys for the responses. I think ya'll are right that it won't be as bad as some are envisioning due to the bell-curve of pvp skill distribution among the players you're likely to fight.

I'm planning on taking the week off for classic launch (thank heavens for personal leave days!) so 90% of the players I encounter should be comparable level, making the playing field more even.
I will point out that the alliance will be automatically flagged while in tirisfal glades, whether or not they're on a PvP server
after all, it is hostile territory

so, SM isn't exactly easy for the alliance to do
11/13/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Doxima

The original Blackrock pvp server, for example, was about 85% Horde, but you could still level as Alliance. You just might have to count a bit to track your deaths along the way.

No.... you couldn't. I mean Tich was a hard server to level on, but for alliance, BR was BRUTAL. You had to have a masochistic streak in you, to voluntarily level alliance on BR. Or maybe, the whole me against the world thing. Well, the world usually wins.

Honestly tho, BR is full. GTFO.

Let me put it another way.... BR was really a Horde PVE server.
11/14/2018 04:33 PMPosted by Ashocck
11/13/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Doxima

No.... you couldn't. I mean Tich was a hard server to level on, but for alliance, BR was BRUTAL. You had to have a masochistic streak in you, to voluntarily level alliance on BR. Or maybe, the whole me against the world thing. Well, the world usually wins.

Honestly tho, BR is full. GTFO.

Let me put it another way.... BR was really a Horde PVE server.

Obviously the 15% Alliance on Blackrock did level, and almost certainly they had no idea about the population imbalance. That actually speaks volumes about the layout of the zones and quests that allow players to level in spite of imbalances. I’m sure those poor buggers got ganked a ton though, especially in the hubs.

But yea, if roll Alliance on a pvp server your risk increases.