Streamers should be confined to one server

General Discussion
This isn't about making fun of their followers, or lag. This is strictly about privacy rights.

Streamers are basically broadcasting what other players do in the game without their consent since most of the time they are streaming live game play. Players have not given them consent to broadcast their actions to a range of people beyond what is happening in game or nearby. Blizzard may get around this in their TOS, but nobody has signed a TOS with the streamers.

Now, if you join their group and they make it clear that it's a stream that's one thing... but just random interactions, stumbling upon their group, etc... your actions get recorded and broadcast.

That's why I think they should be confined to one server. That server would be similar to a roleplay server rules. When you join a RP server you are accepting rules beyond the scope of a normal WoW server (such as your player character name needing to be RP appropriate).

For those on the "Streamer Server" they would be informed when making a character they could at any time have their actions or text recorded and transmitted to a streamer's audience.
Knew this was Moon Guard before checking.

And no OP, players shouldn't be restricted regardless of who they are, sorry.

edit:
Also, this is the internet. If you don't want your actions to be seen or heard of, don't do them on the internet. This is taught in elementary school.
This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen on this forum.

"Oh no! A streamer, just like any other player in the game, saw me in-game!!1! Get rid of them Blizzard :("

You're playing an MMO. You've already agreed to be publicly displayed to other people when you realize that's what a multiplayer game entails.
This is actually an interesting subject that I have not thought about but I am going to go out on a limb and assume somewhere in the ToS this is probably covered. Something I am sure exists about you not being guaranteed privacy rights to your character since it is not broadcasting you as a person.

That said, I do find it interesting when I do occasionally see a streamer I see the battle.net tags for their friends show up. I wonder if anyone has ever had unwanted friend requests from this?
11/14/2018 01:20 AMPosted by Sevaira
Something I am sure exists about you not being guaranteed privacy rights to your character since it is not broadcasting you as a person.

Nope and I'm honestly shocked anyone would think something like this would exist ON THE INTERNET.

edit:
Well, the only privacy you have is your Real ID (you choose who sees it), banking info, all that important jazz, etc.
Yes, it's not real life... but many states are now reviewing what constitutes privacy for streaming people without consent. Currently it tends to fall under 'recording a conversation' and a lot of states allow one party to record another without informing them. However, states are starting to look into changing that or rather specifically making laws for broadcasting and sharing that 'one-party' with a wider audience.

At the root this is simply about possible harassment. I started playing WoW before Burning Crusade so my original characters are quite old. Many of the people I played with had gone, but every once in awhile someone will return and it will be a nice experience to reconnect with them.

I was playing an AV which happened to have a huge chunk be a streamer's fanbase and they were doing a strategy to show off for the stream which involved not actually attacking and just fighting. I was on a stealth character and there was around maybe 10 others not in the streamers group. We managed to get, hold, and burn an enemy base. The amount of toxic text and stuff during the game was one thing... but it didn't end there.

For weeks I continued to receive harassment in whispers or game mail. I reported constantly to Blizzard and some were dealt with, but ultimately Blizzard let me have a name change just because of it continuing. So I ended up having to lose the name of a character I had from before probably many of these people ever played the game just to stop the in game harassment.

Now I know battlegrounds and streamers isn't solved by a streamer server issue if they are put in with others... but I think it helps in other situations and I think Blizzard and other game companies really need to look into the type of harassment that can happen by their followers.
11/14/2018 01:16 AMPosted by Warridy
This isn't about making fun of their followers, or lag. This is strictly about privacy rights.

Streamers are basically broadcasting what other players do in the game without their consent since most of the time they are streaming live game play. Players have not given them consent to broadcast their actions to a range of people beyond what is happening in game or nearby. Blizzard may get around this in their TOS, but nobody has signed a TOS with the streamers.

Now, if you join their group and they make it clear that it's a stream that's one thing... but just random interactions, stumbling upon their group, etc... your actions get recorded and broadcast.

That's why I think they should be confined to one server. That server would be similar to a roleplay server rules. When you join a RP server you are accepting rules beyond the scope of a normal WoW server (such as your player character name needing to be RP appropriate).

For those on the "Streamer Server" they would be informed when making a character they could at any time have their actions or text recorded and transmitted to a streamer's audience.

sharding and CRZ.
11/14/2018 01:34 AMPosted by Warridy
Yes, it's not real life... but many states are now reviewing what constitutes privacy for streaming people without consent.

There is a big difference between streaming people without consent and streaming someone's in game avatar without consent... which really, that's not a thing that needs to be a thing...

Also, looking over your story and sticking to the general rule of thumb with these kinds of things... I really don't think you are sharing the entire story and might possibly be exaggerating just a weeeeeee bit there.
11/14/2018 01:38 AMPosted by Wetrobrute

sharding and CRZ.

You are right that would potentially be a big issue. I'm not sure entirely how to work around it. For one thing limiting streams to one server would at least give players more awareness for seeing players from that server.

Blizzard could implement a warning message for when you were to join or enter that streaming servers shard.

I know there's no perfect solution and ultimately this comes to just basic human decency and personal responsibility. But having been on the other side where my enjoyment of the game was impacted by streaming, I would like to see SOMETHING done to change how it's allowed.
Even if you write in all caps you doing a Viewer run with your twitch in title and description I still get a shizton of people signing up who dont realize Im a streamer.

Besides you dont need to ask consent to film live footage, do you give consent everytime you walk on the street and one of those public earth cams films you? No, because you dont need consent if you dont charge for the footage. You can only put in a claim if theyd charge people to watch your gameplay.
11/14/2018 01:45 AMPosted by Byucknah
Yes, it's not real life... but many states are now reviewing what constitutes privacy for streaming people without consent.

There is a big difference between streaming people without consent and streaming someone's in game avatar without consent... which really, that's not a thing that needs to be a thing...

Also, looking over your story and sticking to the general rule of thumb with these kinds of things... I really don't think you are sharing the entire story and might possibly be exaggerating just a weeeeeee bit there.

Did I get cursed at? Sure. Did I curse at others? Sure. That 100% happened in the AV. But what happens in a battleground tends to stay in battleground. I have never whispered or mailed someone after it was over. I think if I had done or said anything that was over the line that I would have been banned or punished by Blizzard. They obviously had a record of everything I said and did in the BG both Blizzard and the recording.
The thing is this: you dont own your character, blizz does. All you do is lease it from them, so it's really up to blizz and what they want to do.
No, it is not needed and would only create needless hoops to jump though.

it's a video game vs actual privacy, it doesnt even remotely imply in this situation

get over it.
11/14/2018 02:12 AMPosted by Felryn

it's a video game vs actual privacy, it doesnt even remotely imply in this situation

get over it.

Well I guess my question is, can a person on a stream basically tell their audience who the person is playing that character on the stream? Like for example, I am guild mates with someone who streams and we are raiding together and they go on to tell personal information about me?
Nothing on your account or your actions in the game belong to you.

You have absolutely no expectation of privacy on a World of Warcraft server.

No.
Streamers are basically broadcasting what other players do in the game without their consent since most of the time they are streaming live game play

Well this is a refreshing variation on the fatuous "I dun wanna be inspekted" whine .. well done for plumbing new depths in this ludicrous argument.
Typical authoritarian

Streamers are basically broadcasting what other players do in the game without their consent since most of the time they are streaming live game play.

maybe don't play a online video game if you are that worried

you must be a terrible person or incredibly paranoid.

That's why I think they should be confined to one server.

So let me get this straight you want to possibly ruin someones fun in the game because of the incredibly small chance you might be recorded and recognized.
Did you show your real face on internet by relating it to your alt?
Are you a streamer yourself?

Just block every single one of them, on your every alts.

I once saw a tauren position himself right on Anduin and danced, I believe that player was sexually insulting either Anduin or the whole Alliance, may be I should have stream him and got him harrasted for a long long time.
I guess i am lucky in that my realm is boring flyover country enough to not attract celebrity multi boxers, streamers or anyone else insane enough to pay to transfer here.