I really want player housing :(.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 12 Next
An instanced house in org/Sw to start, then in other capitals in their style. Make items for the home/cave/lair drop from old and new dungeons/raids and be in professions and on the AH. Maybe some items from achievements/holidays. It would be amazing for those who like to collect....stuff. Let the player inv a raid size group over if they want to party or have guild meetings.

I don't get why it hasn't happened yet.
10/05/2018 07:07 PMPosted by Ukhu
Yes, World of Warcraft clearly need this!
I don't want to be an adventurer, a hero, kill villains or puny alliance!

I want to play Dollhouse!
Daily missions: clean the dishes, vacuum the floors and more!

---

Bow down before the Dark Lady, the Goddess of Death!
For the Forsaken!
Death to the living!
Better than sitting in a city waiting for queue to pop...
Your Garrison is waiting for you. :)

Or Sims.
WoW housing: you can place one piece of furniture each week.
10/05/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Teneea
They tested player housing while making WoW but dropped it because they couldn't make it "fun".

They dropped it because there weren't any successful models out there for blizz to copy.

The whole "removes players from the game world" is the same kind of answer as "you think you want it, but you really dont".

It can be done blizz. You are just being too precious to even attempt it because you are full of yourselves.
We should have guild and cross server community halls. That would be really cool. And when we're logged out our PCs could be NPC vendors or something.
It's a 100% cool idea, but expect the non-creative people to dump all over it.
Problem with that is people will rebel it because it would phase us and practically empty cities again, WOD again. Alternatively it could use FFXVI's housing but that's limited and even then, it serves no true purpose. Why would you go there? To AFK?
10/05/2018 07:27 PMPosted by Sinelus
Problem with that is people will rebel it because it would phase us and practically empty cities again, WOD again. Alternatively it could use FFXVI's housing but that's limited and even then, it serves no true purpose. Why would you go there? To AFK?
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/sapphys-houses-consolidated.540075/

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1005&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=Uh64W--CDYHesAXc8ZuIBg&q=ffxiv+housing&oq=ffxiv+housing&gs_l=img.3..0i67j0l5j0i67j0l3.152640.155519..155618...0.0..0.118.1009.12j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39.3YPs0E2X-LQ#imgrc=_

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26035

you go there to make stuff like this.
10/05/2018 07:27 PMPosted by Sinelus

It literally doesn't have to be a solo instance. Use your imagination a little rather than just "But X!"

Have you even considered the option of having houses in a village instanced with many other players' houses?
If they make player housing affordable I might finally be able to buy a real home.. for the virtual me.

Homes are 12x wage to mortgage debt in Sydney. Good luck with that.
10/05/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Úlfhéðnar
I remember having player housing in Dark Age of Camelot. That was fun. And the huge guild mansions were fun to explore.

I remember when housing came out in DAoC. Guild mansions were fun. I had my own house too. I got really bored with mine after initially making it.

Everyone seemed to hole up in their houses and cyber for awhile.
I had my own house in FF14. It was really cool how they implemented housing. It gave professions more things to do as well to support them. Too bad you lose it if you don't log in on the account after a few months. All that hard earned gil. Anyway, something like FF14 would work nicely otherwise, no.
I think the real question to ask is why people want player housing.

Do you want it to spend time there, or do you want it to showcase your legacy, or perhaps you want it as a little space you can make your own.

In practice, most of the reasons for player housing amount to something you can make your own, something you can show off, something you have full control over, and something you get some use out of.

Player housing will probably never have practical storage, bonus experience, or anything like that, so 'bonuses' are probably out of the question. The one bonus might be armor stands you can leave set items on to 'show them off' but also store them.

In terms of customization, the WoW engine probably doesn't genuinely support objects that can be placed at leisure. The ability to place your lamps, candles, chairs, tables, tapestries, etc, wherever you want is probably a foregone thought. The engine is just not going to support it, and if it could it's likely too difficult to do for the small number of players who'll use it on any kind of basis.

As for showing your legacy, that one's trickier. We have achievements, but those are very passive. A housing situation could allow us to 'showcase' the things we've done, but how do we discern the cutoff? Do you deserve an Onyxia Head Trophy if you did it well past it's relevance? It's not a really a trophy anymore. Point being that the actual 'legacy' would probably have to start with current content, or challenging content (which is basically all current).

In short, player housing sounds nice, but the reasons we'd use it are less about spending time there, and more about the other aspects. Those aspects are probably better served by other systems than something that we'll likely never use more than a few minutes a day.
I want housing! That would be cool AND what if it had quests like the garrison. That's dumb and I love it.
10/05/2018 07:42 PMPosted by Atalanta
I think the real question to ask is why people want player housing.

Do you want it to spend time there, or do you want it to showcase your legacy, or perhaps you want it as a little space you can make your own.

In practice, most of the reasons for player housing amount to something you can make your own, something you can show off, something you have full control over, and something you get some use out of.

Player housing will probably never have practical storage, bonus experience, or anything like that, so 'bonuses' are probably out of the question. The one bonus might be armor stands you can leave set items on to 'show them off' but also store them.

In terms of customization, the WoW engine probably doesn't genuinely support objects that can be placed at leisure. The ability to place your lamps, candles, chairs, tables, tapestries, etc, wherever you want is probably a foregone thought. The engine is just not going to support it, and if it could it's likely too difficult to do for the small number of players who'll use it on any kind of basis.

As for showing your legacy, that one's trickier. We have achievements, but those are very passive. A housing situation could allow us to 'showcase' the things we've done, but how do we discern the cutoff? Do you deserve an Onyxia Head Trophy if you did it well past it's relevance? It's not a really a trophy anymore. Point being that the actual 'legacy' would probably have to start with current content, or challenging content (which is basically all current).

In short, player housing sounds nice, but the reasons we'd use it are less about spending time there, and more about the other aspects. Those aspects are probably better served by other systems than something that we'll likely never use more than a few minutes a day.
It's all of those reasons.

The point of player housing isn't about spending time at your house. It's about finding new things to add to your collection and all the things you listed above. It's something that will keep people busy rather than sitting in town waiting on something to happen or waiting on your queue to pop.

I just don't understand how people can hate on player housing so much when this game has pokemon in it.
I never understood the argument against it being that it isolates people.

Look, if someone is semi-afk sitting around Boralus or the SW Bank / AH, they're not gonna chit chat with you. They're not gonna RP with you. There's a good chance they're not looking at the screen at all or are just waiting on a queue.

If a chunk of those people suddenly disappear into some housing instance, literally nothing has changed except who is showing up on your screen.

You're not missing out on any real interaction, and frankly with sharding the way it is now, you wouldn't even be missing body count because sharding would pool together the people who aren't in the housing instance.

In addition, a proper housing system gives people reasons to not sit in their house all day. Trade Chat could still be restricted to actual uninstanced cities. Don't allow augments to a house like an auction house or bank. Add a profession or implement housing items into all current professions and use mats around the world (not just current zones) to craft such items to encourage going out into the world. Furthermore, encourage being social WITHIN the housing space. That could take the forum of instanced neighborhoods ala FFXIV so you'd actually see your neighbors, or it could take inspiration from Wildstar and list any public housing plot in a list anyone could join, potentially with minigames and such or resource sharing to encourage visiting (although allowing resource nodes or rewards from minigames diminishes some of what I said in the beginning).

For those who say it's worthless because you'd decorate your house and then never mess with it ever again -- maybe that's what YOU would do, but plenty of people in games that DO have this feature routinely change up their entire plot/house. In Wildstar, my server had regular competitions to design your plot based around a particular theme. Additionally, new items added over time tend to inspire people to make changes when something sparks their interest. The roleplay potential for customizable housing is also another reason someone may be routinely changing their plot.
10/05/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Sechi

Look, if someone is semi-afk sitting around Boralus or the SW Bank / AH, they're not gonna chit chat with you. They're not gonna RP with you. There's a good chance they're not looking at the screen at all or are just waiting on a queue.

If a chunk of those people suddenly disappear into some housing instance, literally nothing has changed except who is showing up on your screen.

You're not missing out on any real interaction, and frankly with sharding the way it is now, you wouldn't even be missing body count because sharding would pool together the people who aren't in the housing instance.
are you arguing for or against? i'm confused.
10/05/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Siveer
10/05/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Sechi

are you arguing for or against? i'm confused.

For.

One of the common complaints about the feature is that it isolates people.

That's what I was addressing there.
10/05/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Siveer
10/05/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Barisage
Instanced Housing sucks IMO. Non-Instanced is the only way to go, but there's no way that can be done in WoW. There's just not enough space/real estate for all the players.
how does instanced housing suck? As far as I know almost all games with player housing has instanced housing. The only one I can think of that doesn't is...Archage? Is that the name of it? Which didn't do so hot.

Instanced housing might be the best way to go.

I think it's bad because it would be another form of the Garrison. It would just separate the player base further. If you want to decorate a house that many will not see, I guess that's fine, but to me it's a pretty shallow feature. I'd rather not have housing at all then have a really inferior version of it. EQ2 had instanced housing, and it was boring. If WoW was to get it, it would only end up being disappointing because of its limitations. Players will want many things available in their own instanced house for convenience, making active city hubs into ghost towns.

Archeage has non-instanced. Ultima Online has non-instanced (or it did when I played long ago), and Star Wars Galaxies also had it. They work(ed) because server populations were smaller and there was a huge amount of open space on which to build. In Archeage you can build your own little non-instanced Guild Village if you were lucky or managed to buy the plots from people. In Star Wars Galaxies could build player run cities. In UO you could build your own little Guild area with castles, keeps, houses, etc.

Maybe I'm just picky, as having experienced non-instanced housing, the instanced version is just a bad imitation.