I really want player housing :(.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 12 Next
It'd be cool if they did something like the housing system in SWTOR.

A space you can decorate yourself and is available to all your characters. Even alts on the opposite faction as they would be smuggled past the guards into the house.
10/06/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Degas
It'd be cool if they did something like the housing system in SWTOR.

A space you can decorate yourself and is available to all your characters. Even alts on the opposite faction as they would be smuggled past the guards into the house.

No way. All SWTOR should be used for is a cautionary tale on how to ruin a great IP. Housing was mostly put in for the Whales (which are probably all that keeps that game limping on) so they'd spend even more on the Cartel market.
10/05/2018 05:34 PMPosted by Telgryn
And which raid tier would you like to sacrifice for it?

Absolutely any (and even all) of them.

Good player housing would add so much more for us than raids ever will. I've been in games with superb player housing and enjoyed that type of gameplay far more than any raid I've yet experienced in WoW.

But, luckily, for raiding fans, I do not believe WoW's many activities are in the slightest bit either/or. I think there's quite enough revenue to reinvest in the game and give players many fun-to-do facets.

Raiders, however, seem to be selfish people that shriek "mah tiers" whenever something might be added that's entertaining to anyone but themselves.
10/05/2018 07:51 PMPosted by Siveer
I just don't understand how people can hate on player housing so much when this game has pokemon in it.

Apologies.

I'm not against player housing, I just think it's important to understand the issue from both sides.

It's like asking yourself why your husband or wife is acting a certain way. It looks to be one thing, and very well may be a whole separate thing internally with a series of reasonings.

One of my points that I made was that it's less about spending time there, and more about the other aspects.

I think a valid question to ask would be: can we satisfy those desires without constructing an entirely new, potentially very difficult to make, system?

If the answer is no, then player housing is paramount. If the answer is yes, then perhaps those other systems might be able to do, in WoW, what other MMO's do but with our own flair.

Again, I'm not against player housing, I'm simply suggesting that perhaps the fact that we may spend only a modicum of time there is a reason not to create such a system. Perhaps, instead, some other system could be created that satisfies our other needs on it's own.
Yes everyone on horde should have their own mud hut! All alliance should have blue roofed white brick homes.
10/06/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Sharaesdel
10/05/2018 07:35 PMPosted by Siveer
...https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/sapphys-houses-consolidated.540075/

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1005&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=Uh64W--CDYHesAXc8ZuIBg&q=ffxiv+housing&oq=ffxiv+housing&gs_l=img.3..0i67j0l5j0i67j0l3.152640.155519..155618...0.0..0.118.1009.12j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39.3YPs0E2X-LQ#imgrc=_

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26035

you go there to make stuff like this.

Or like this...this is a City of Hero base

http://www.rlgaming.com/viewtopic.php?t=12833

Nearly everything in that base...including the plot size...was purchased or created. The nifty thing about that was that if you didn't want a base? You could sell the stuff in the AH. If you did? You could either buy something off the AH, or go out and find it for yourself. It didn't take away from the game, it just added to it.

And incidentally, City of Heroes was released in April, 2004. WoW was released in November of 2004. If City of Heroes could manage bases (housing) at that time, why couldn't WoW?

Final Fantasy is the same way. Don't want housing? Don't have to have it. You can sell the stuff on the AH and go on your way.

I don't get why people have such a hate on for this. I want something to make my crafting viable again, and if its made right, it would give crafters/people who want housing more incentive to get out and about in the world.

Edit: The reason Garrisons tanked so badly was that everything was pretty much handed to the player so there was no reason to go out and about to do things. Making players put it together is more logical, imo anyways.
agreed on all of what you said. especially the garrison thing. people forget that we had a mine shaft and flower pots that would regrow daily. that's why people never left. there wasn't any reason to. just don't give us any of that in housing. a mailbox sure. AH, no. respawning nodes, no. no one needs an ah or nodes in their home.
10/06/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Somalion
If you want Player Housing go play a game that has Player Housing.
WoW does not, and never should, have player housing, Garrison was bad enough.

Says the person with level 25 battle pets...

If you wanna play Pokemon, then why not play Pokemon?
The GARRISONS were the best thing to ever happen to this game. I believe most players like them alot but are afraid to admit it.
10/06/2018 07:21 PMPosted by Snojobs
The GARRISONS were the best thing to ever happen to this game. I believe most players like them alot but are afraid to admit it.

I liked them to an extent.

I liked the idea of them, but the delivery was poorer than a car washer in Detroit.
LOTRO and SWTOR have good housing systems, though they do have their flaws as well. Virtually every MMO I have played... even before MMOs with Gemstone... have had some form of player owned housing and most of them did a passable, decent or even excellent job of it.

Blizzard's mistake with WoD Garrisons was making them the player's main mission hub, basically eliminating hub cities in favor of single player hub instances. Bad idea all around.

Player housing should not be mission-centric, it should be where the players go to get away from missions and such, to unwind and socialize with friends and guildies. (And it might actually help clean up the Goldshire Inn. Yikes.)
10/06/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Dedaru
10/06/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Somalion
If you want Player Housing go play a game that has Player Housing.
WoW does not, and never should, have player housing, Garrison was bad enough.

I do play pokemon, I also like battle pets in wow, before they got turned into battle pets I had multiple bags in my bank full of non-combat pets so when they became battle pets I got all giddy.

And my garrison comment comes down to this : Blizzard put in Garrisons everyone spent all their time there and complained that the cities, outdoor areas etc. were empty.
Player housing would be that on steroids.
Forgot to mention that player housing was in the works for Vanilla, but it ended up being scrapped.
I believe the problem implementing player housing in this game is because of how this old engine works. The little we could do in our garrison all had fixed places it had to be, like the archaeology finds. Real player housing isn't like that, we can put anything anywhere. I have my doubts this old engine can do that.
10/06/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Yrag
No way. All SWTOR should be used for is a cautionary tale on how to ruin a great IP. Housing was mostly put in for the Whales (which are probably all that keeps that game limping on) so they'd spend even more on the Cartel market.

I'm not sure I follow... all the furniture and decorations I had in my apartment on Drommund Kaas were all either crafted or earned from quests/achievements.

Final Fantasy XIV also has the furniture for the housing to be either earned from something or crafted, not bought.

Blizzard could do the same thing. Add recipes/patterns to the professions as well as award them for quests, achievements, or reputation vendors.

SWTOR definitely had it's problems, but I personally think the housing was one of their better features.
I don't know, every time they try to do housing in a mmo it's just a mess. Daoc, that happens when you go TOO big. Lotro was the opposite, it was just too small and all the "instancing" ugh. Rift... no comments.

Has there been one that I liked? I don't know. EQ2 was not too bad, it was basically just apartments, simple, you had the AH in your house. I liked that.

<edit> I forgot about star wars galaxies. That was something alright.

If wow did housing I'm certain it would flop. Also it would split people up and they'd just be sitting in their house all day long thus making the game feel empty when you're inside a city.
10/06/2018 07:34 PMPosted by Somalion
10/06/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Dedaru

I do play pokemon, I also like battle pets in wow, before they got turned into battle pets I had multiple bags in my bank full of non-combat pets so when they became battle pets I got all giddy.

And my garrison comment comes down to this : Blizzard put in Garrisons everyone spent all their time there and complained that the cities, outdoor areas etc. were empty.
I don't think you understand. Even without garrisons the world is empty. You do the same thing in BFA as you did in WoD. You sit and wait for your queue. The only difference WoD had that BFA doesn't is you could basically craft everything on your own since you could farm everything from your garrison. Now you can do this anyway in every expansion if you have farming alts. However, you never could gather in a major city.

WoD was no different from any other expansion when all you do at end game is sit and wait for your raid queue to pop. Garrisons didn't make WoW look empty. Lack of content makes WoW look empty. Adding content (Player housing) would fix this issue since you have to go out and look for items to put into your home.
10/06/2018 07:34 PMPosted by Somalion

The problem was more or less there was less stuff to do in WoD that didn't have to do with Garrisons.

Player Housing is completely optional, as it should be. You can play the entirety of all the games with housing without getting a house. There are people still around in the world in those games...
10/05/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Paladina
Yes lets lock the population up again like we did in WoD, empty game world is all that's left as everyone huddles up in their housing. No thank you.

People stayed in their garrisons because WoD was a craptastic expansion with nothing else to do, and Blizzard made the mistake of adding too much utility.
10/06/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Nighdarke
I believe the problem implementing player housing in this game is because of how this old engine works. The little we could do in our garrison all had fixed places it had to be, like the archaeology finds. Real player housing isn't like that, we can put anything anywhere. I have my doubts this old engine can do that.
People have already brought up Dark Age of Camelot. An older game engine that had player housing.
10/06/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Kwashiorkor
I don't know, every time they try to do housing in a mmo it's just a mess. Daoc, that happens when you go TOO big. Lotro was the opposite, it was just too small and all the "instancing" ugh. Rift... no comments.

Has there been one that I liked? I don't know. EQ2 was not too bad, it was basically just apartments, simple, you had the AH in your house. I liked that.

<edit> I forgot about star wars galaxies. That was something alright.

If wow did housing I'm certain it would flop. Also it would split people up and they'd just be sitting in their house all day long thus making the game feel empty when you're inside a city.
On the eq2 comment yes you had the AH in your house. However, you couldn't buy from your house you could only sell. You still had to go to the AH to buy and pick up your money.