How would you feel

General Discussion
About a class that is faction specific. And what I have in mind is a ranged class that I feel is much needed since a lot of what has been added is melee. I want something that I feel could speak for both factions and I feel maybe it could work if given some love.

Alliance: I'll start with the faction I play. I think having a ranged character would be a good idea and what I was thinking was at least giving a ranged character capabilities of at least two roles so I figured with alliance let's call them "Paragon". I stole that from guild wars. So, this would be a javelin thrower with possible support or I can also see them going other way with defensive capabilities for tank. Either way you go it leaves options open. The dps spec I feel could even be given a light damage dps spec too or twist a different element into it. Here's why I'd like to see a different element.

Horde: We've got the ranged going, you saw this coming with it being a faction thing. I want shadow hunters. I think this is still viable even with parts of it having shamanistic spells. For one just make it a shadow damage dps spec along with maybe poison or just utility, and then I think we could also make it into a tank class. The serpent ward I feel could be made into a tank spec or at least damage mitigation. I feel for a third spec if not healing for either of them itd be nice to see a third dps. I like that demon hunters were made it is kind of cool, but I feel they should have had 3 specs. Nothing less. That's why I think elemental. Make them nature but more poison based with like darts and serpent wards, poison slow. All that jazz.
We've had faction specific classes before, didn't really work.
Paladin was Alliance only and Shaman was Horde only.
10/30/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Therric
Paladin was Alliance only and Shaman was Horde only.

This. I wish things like this were back in the game. They could make it work if they wanted and people have the option to play both factions so I don’t see any reason it couldn’t be a thing again.

It would be a small blow against the homogenization in current wow which is an aspect of today’s game I don’t like.
The only way faction specific classes could work is if they're the same. For example:

Dark Rangers for the Horde; Rangari for the Alliance. Their spells and abilities have different names but they do the same thing.

The Shaman and Paladin experiment didn’t work out so well.
I liked GWs paragons but they were horribly imbalanced. Almost to the point of being unplayable. Sadly, there was no way you could do solo hard mode with them because their entire build was based on the number of players/heroes in the group. If you were going to pick a class from GW, I would pick Ritualist instead. Ghost wrangling was fun, imo. And I don't think it would be that hard to create WoW lore to support them.
10/30/2018 04:59 AMPosted by Tovi
The only way faction specific classes could work is if they're the same. For example:

Dark Rangers for the Horde; Rangari for the Alliance. Their spells and abilities have different names but they do the same thing.

I feel like role wise yes they would need to be the same. The primary difference could be flavor things. In that sense I think it could work.
I would embrace it, having faction specific classes, like when WoW first started. Maybe have a faction specific spec. On Alliance you can become a battle mage (melee) and on horde you can become a mystic healer. Horde shaman can become a tank spec, and on Alliance become an elemental (you become a fire elemental etc.).
10/30/2018 04:59 AMPosted by Cerene
I liked GWs paragons but they were horribly imbalanced. Almost to the point of being unplayable. Sadly, there was no way you could do solo hard mode with them because their entire build was based on the number of players/heroes in the group. If you were going to pick a class from GW, I would pick Ritualist instead. Ghost wrangling was fun, imo. And I don't think it would be that hard to create WoW lore to support them.

I was always fond of the dervish haha. Was sad to see gw2 didn't have them.

But obviously different game means you could balance it however you need.
Faction specific classes were already pulled executed with the Paladin and Shaman during Vanilla.

Originally Death Knights were going to be a Horde specific class but it's a good thing they've scrapped the class until the second expansion.
No thx. Hordes will just get a better class.
We know that from racials.
And it'll make faction imbalance even worse.
10/30/2018 04:59 AMPosted by Tovi

If be on board with this, personally.
Seeing as a lot of the classes are given a lot of similar abilities like charges, slows, a snare, etc, you could just go over the basics such as I want the paragon to have a slow while you give the shadow hunter that shadow dagger move that Maeiv had. So now both have a slow, of course need damaging moves. Cover the basics of how they are similar and then slightly branch out of a talents.

This would however make it a bit harder to balance even with slight variances between the two, though I feel it'd be a very satisfying product in the end if completed.

As one said, it'd only work out if they were basically reworded moves so just set guidelines of what makes them the same.
Oh yeah the old days of molten core.

Am alliance, we kill boss, he drops ALL shaman gear.

joy
I don't feel like it'd work in today's game. It's bad enough that there's so much faction imbalance going on because of racials. Imagine how bad it'd be if one faction had the class that's stronger in PvE and/or PvP.

Tovi's example above (where the classes are cosmetically different and have different names, but the exact same abilities) is the only way I can imagine this would work.