Why Mechagnomes?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Allow me to first state that this post is not about certainties coming to World or Warcraft, but rather I am questioning what multiple sources such as Bellular, Taliesin and Evitel, and Wowhead all seem to share regarding allied races related to gnomes.

There seems to be a theory floating around the air, though I have no idea of how popular it is, that mechagnomes or "junkergnomes" (gnomes w/ mechanical limbs) could become an allied race for the Alliance. To that I have to ask why? Why, when Blizzard could just use leper gnomes instead? It surely couldn't be that hard.

Think about it, Tinkmaster Overspark or some other gnome with development besides Mekkatorque tells the player that they've discovered a potential cure to the leper gnome situation. With Mekkatorque in the freezer, the Alliance Azerite weapon design department must be seriously hurt, so the reasoning could be like "We could use our irradiated brethren's eccentricity to design more elaborate war machines against the horde." So you go to Gnomeregan, fight troggs, crazy locals, oozes and haywire robots. Then finally you put the prototype cure in the air ducts in the heart of the city. The cure would work, sort of, the affects of the cure would indeed return sanity to the leper gnomes, but their bodies would remain scarred and green. Furthermore, not all the leper gnomes would've been affected, so only a small but sizable number could actually be saved (that way Blizzard can keep the dungeon).

Making leper gnomes an allied race could actually help Blizzard here. By adding leper gnomes, Mechagnomes would stay neutral and be left for any sort of titan/old god story, Junker gnomes could be integrated into cosmetics for regular gnomes and their leper counterparts, and this story helps develop the gnomes as a people, giving them that little bit of story rather than "We build robots, am smart, hate goblins, cute and funny UwU"
10/31/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Finkly
To that I have to ask why?

Why to any of those?

Gnome is one of the least played races in game.

Per actual in game stuff:

Mechagnomes basically have exactly 1 model and are boring mindless robots.

Leper Gnomes can be healed. There may be side effects like shrinking or exploding.

Gnomes can be turned into mechagnomes and then back to gnomes again.

Take a junker gnome or any wounded gnome, give it the Curse of the Flesh vaccine, repair the now fully metal gnome, give said fully metal gnome the Curse of the Flesh virus. Now you have a whole flesh gnome again.

Stupid ideas are stupid.
leper gnome's brains have a chance at melting/going crazy, pretty much the same issue as the forsaken, they can be intelligent/sane enough to be useful, but they have the chance at being dangerous to their fellow gnome, hence the alliance would'nt want them. also, a cure that keeps them green? yeah, that's not gonna happen.. if the gnomes cured'em, they'd go back to being normal gnomes. heck, if anything the horde would add leper gnomes to their faction, what with some working with the forsaken on plagues, and some being slaves of the blood elves. it makes more sense for the horde to elevate some from slavehood to full-on allies.
I would be disappointed if all we received were mechagnomes, only!
I would be very disappointed as I was regarding the alliance mounts and voidbelves of the horde.

And I would have more excuses to spend more time in the horde! In the end, it would work as planned!

'If you want good things, the horde is waiting for you!' Hazzy!
Because there must always be a Lich King.
Because with the way Blizz works, Horde gets new stuff and Alliance gets ugly recolours.
Junker gnomes are coming, on MMO-Champ right now is the flying mount.

Mechabird thing.
I heard their racial ability is that 5 mechagnomes can merge together to form a Tauren sized super-gnome!

Its not more powerful, but each limb goes in its own direction.
10/31/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Finkly
I am questioning what multiple sources such as Bellular, Taliesin and Evitel, and Wowhead all seem to share regarding allied races related to gnomes.
Beside the in-game evidence and datamined stuff, these sources were likely asked to hype the idea up.

So now we're sitting here getting Junker Gnomes, or whatever, which nobody really wants. Kind of like how we got Void Elves out of nowhere.

Thanks, Blizz! These are such cool, original allied races you think up!
Funny thing about the idea of Junker Gnomes, I was ridiculed for an RP character I made on Moon Guard once. He was a gnome warrior who specialized in mechanical prosthesis. He had been in an accident and replaced his arms with mechanical ones of his own design. This explained why he had such substantial physical strength.

I was told that made him "too OP".
10/31/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Colburn
Funny thing about the idea of Junker Gnomes, I was ridiculed for an RP character I made on Moon Guard once. He was a gnome warrior who specialized in mechanical prosthesis. He had been in an accident and replaced his arms with mechanical ones of his own design. This explained why he had such substantial physical strength.

I was told that made him "too OP".

An RP character on moon guard that replaced his "arms" with a mechanical prosthesis? Why don't I dont believe you...
Because horde are 99% getting Vulpera, so the alliance need another cute race to maintain their cuteness superiority.
It’s not like there are any other options the Alliance has for Allied Races.
10/31/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Tyierin

Shhh, they'll ask for another silly recolor and then cry about it.
10/31/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Lightbrëw
I heard their racial ability is that 5 mechagnomes can merge together to form a Tauren sized super-gnome!

Its not more powerful, but each limb goes in its own direction.

I would actually enjoy this
10/31/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Tyierin

Well how else are we going to have more human zones and stories if we make friends with -other- races?
I don't want any new types of gnomes.
....I'm still abit confused on the whole "mecha gnomes" thing. I haven't seen any real confirmation or hints that they'll be a race. I would love to see them though, as it's peaked my curiosity.
Even if they do mechagnomes...why would they suddenly start wearing armor?
10/31/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Funsize
Junker gnomes are coming, on MMO-Champ right now is the flying mount.

Mechabird thing.

Could be store items.

However I am worried because there are a lot of other mecha related stuff on WoWhead. It's like "let's make a less popular version of one of the least popular races".