Blizzard's Bioware moment. I'm out.

General Discussion
Yep, it's Sunday and this is an unsubscribe thread! I'll try to keep it brief.

I played through WoTLK, then unsubbed for six years. A real life friend got me back in for Legion, because he knew I'd been into the lore and wanted to see the end of the Sargeras storyline.

Legion rocked. I loved my new super emo class, and a lot of the others. I loved the Suramar story, and slowly growing the Arcandor. I loved the build up to Nighthold. I loved Tomb, and I loved Argus.

When BfA dropped four RL friends and I took a week off work to level up together. We'd played back in the day, and the nostalgia was real. We had a blast, and everyone loved the horde leveling story. Bwonsamdi is just awesome.

One by one my friends quit. You all know the reasons. We debate them here endlessly. Our classes don't feel as good. Azerwrong is...not great. Dungeons have too much trash and not enough loot. There are tons of problems, sure.

But none of those are the reason I unsubbed.

I'm leaving because, as lame as it sounds, the magic is gone. I was at the very first Blizzcon. My then GF and I met in game and since it was only our 2nd time meeting in person we spent most of the con watching Firefly and going at it like rabbits in the hotel room. I include that because that relationship is a piece of the nostalgia.

Anyway, when we did make it out we got to see the passion and enthusiasm not only of the player base, but of the Blizzard staff. These people loved making and playing their own games.

I bought every game they ever produced, almost without thought. I knew that each gaming experience would be amazing. Everything from the story to the gameplay would be top notch, because it was a Blizzard game.

I used to feel this same way about Bioware. They made KOTOR, and Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. Those are my 3 favorite single player games of all time, edging out even the Blizzard games.

When Bioware released ME 3 I got worried. When Dragon Age Inquisition came out I asked for a refund for the first time ever (kill 10 wolves quests in a single player RPG? Really?). But when Mass Effect Andromdea launched I realized that Bioware was now just a name. An IP that had been purchased to secure my nostalgic gaming dollars.

After this year's Blizzcon I have the same sour taste in my mouth.

Gone are the gamers making games. Now you have behavioral science being used to get players to play longer, and there aren't enough real gamers left at the company to even attempt to hide that fact.

The moment that this became clear to me, the moment I saw the man behind the curtain, was the Cosplay Event. The announcers have no idea what people are cosplaying as, because they've never played the games their own company produces.

The person they selected to announce what was probably the most important event at the original Blizzcon doesn't even know which franchise most of these costumes are from.

And that's just sad.

The Blizzard I knew is, like Bioware, now just an IP purchased to earn my nostalgic gamer dollars.

I had a blast in BfA. I earned my AoTC on Thursday, and that was the last item I wanted to check off. The rest of my friends quit a while ago.

I don't hate Blizzard. I don't hate BfA. I'm not angry. Most importantly, I definitely got my money's worth not just in this expansion, but in all of them I played.

The trouble is that almost all my fun came from playing with friends, and once those friends are gone only Blizzard's illusion keeps us playing. When that illusion slips and you see the walls of the maze it robs it of meaning.

I hit that point, so I'm out. If you're still loving the game, hell yes. Game on.

Either way thanks for everything. This community, despite sometimes being !@#$% to each other, has some great people. We are all in the same gaming brotherhood. Thanks for all the memories.

Nope, can't have my stuff.
lol @ going to your first blizzcon at like age 30 or whatever you are.

Yes Blizz is a shell of its former self and you don't need to go to Blizzcon and assess their cosplay knowledge to know that.
Blizzards Bioware moment? Anthem hasn't even come out yet.
11/04/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Wisskee

What...? smh
Someone linked a video of an old Blizzcon recently and the difference is pretty stark. Lot more passion.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, also stopped caring about this game after getting AotC, and have unsubbed.

I'm not willing to write Blizzard off entirely just yet though. They've had a pretty consistent Good Expansion->Bad Expansion->Good Expansion pattern for awhile now. If the next one blows though, we're in real trouble. And hell, even if everything from here on out is awful, I suspect they'll put out TBC/WotLK classic servers which I'd be into just because I barely experienced those expansions.

He said he was at the very first blizzcon, not that this was his first.

You good bro ?
11/04/2018 06:16 AMPosted by Woodspath

What...? smh

I misread his wall of text.
They’ve gone full EA.

You never go full EA.

Farewell.
11/04/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Awby
Someone linked a video of an old Blizzcon recently and the difference is pretty stark. Lot more passion.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, also stopped caring about this game after getting AotC, and have unsubbed.

I'm not willing to write Blizzard off entirely just yet though. They've had a pretty consistent Good Expansion->Bad Expansion->Good Expansion pattern for awhile now. If the next one blows, then we're in real trouble. And hell, even if everything from here on out is awful, I suspect they'll put out TBC/WotLK classic servers which I'd be into just because I barely experienced those expansions.

It's a chicken and the egg thing anyway.

Do the games suck because the staff lacks enthusiasm? Or do they lack enthusiasm because they know the games suck and that people will be underwhelmed by what they have to present?
11/04/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Arkelion
I'll try to keep it brief.
Ha!

Yes Blizz is a shell of its former self and you don't need to go to Blizzcon and assess their cosplay knowledge to know that.

lol@ your failed reading comprehension.

OP stated he was at the first Blizzcon
11/04/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Arkelion
My GF and I spent most of the con watching Firefly and going at it like rabbits in the hotel room,

YES

MY FEMALE COMPANION

THE ONE WITH WHOM I PROCREATE

A LOT

the fact taht you didn't need to add that part aside, the unsub moment comes for everyone.
11/04/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Velara

Actually I failed at reading (skimming), not reading comprehension. And you not understanding the difference is pretty sad.
Jade Empire was a great game, too. If you missed that one, you should go back and play it. Bioware used to be my favorite developer. I've never liked EA. They acquired Mythic and Bioware and then those two companies were never the same. EA has all of that money and could remake Dark Age of Camelot, which is my favorite MMORPG of all time, but they never will because they suck. That WoW token push and the Diablo Immortal debacle have me seeing the similarities between EA and Activision. They are ruining the companies that make great games like usual. It's sad.
11/04/2018 06:30 AMPosted by Wisskee
11/04/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Velara

Actually I failed at reading (skimming), not reading comprehension. And you not understanding the difference is pretty sad.

LOL.

You sound as desperate as Blizzard to cover your own obvious error.
11/04/2018 06:34 AMPosted by Velara
<span class="truncated">...</span>

LOL.

You sound as desperate as Blizzard to cover your own obvious error.

I'm not covering it. I admitted to it. You straight up don't understand what reading comprehension is, which means you probably have a very low IQ.

I find it ironic that you, up until this point in your life, haven't managed to comprehend what reading comprehension refers to.
So you're unsubbing because the announcer at the cosplay event didn't know who every blizzard character was? Lol ok then, bye.

What...? smh
Literacy is hard. But the OP did kinda ramble so I'll give it a C-.
This is a pretty thoughtful and important message for Blizzard to read. Hopefully they do and they take it to heart.
11/04/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Wisskee
What...? smh

I misread his wall of text.

You got confused by a lot of words, it's okay buddy, not everyone can read at a third grade level.