Why gate content if items stay buffed?

Classic Discussion
Doesn't really make sense. What is achieved by gating content if the nerfs to bosses, the buffs to items and the ridiculously powerful 1.11 talents stay in the game. People are just going to steam roll over Ragnaros because of it and then have nothing to do for 5 months. Are content droughts meant to make it feel more like new retail?
11/04/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Xjum
Doesn't really make sense. What is achieved by gating content if the nerfs to bosses, the buffs to items and the ridiculously powerful 1.11 talents stay in the game. People are just going to steam roll over Ragnaros because of it and then have nothing to do for 5 months. Are content droughts meant to make it feel more like new retail?

Blizzard hasn't really said anything about itemization. Progressive itemization is something that is very important, but very tricky to implement correctly. Pservers messed it up even with the best intentions.

I'm thinking with the delayed Battlegrounds, that leads me to believe there will be some form of progressive itemization.

With DM at launch, I'm thinking the game will start with the gear at the state where there was +SP on cloth gear. Hopefully the Tier 0/Tier 1/Tier 2 have the fixed stats and drop from the appropriate boss we all remember. From there, buffs to items and changes to boss loot tables should occur in the appropriate stage. Most of it should occur when Naxx is released, which is stage 4.
if you watched their panel yesterday you would notice the earliest database they could get their hands on was 1.12, they might not even have the stuff necessary to do true progressive itemization without the older database data. the private servers just made educated guesses on the numbers for items, but i doubt blizzard would feel comfortable doing the same.
I'm an EU player, and tbh it won't make any difference to me.
When I got to 60 if I remember correctly DM was already open to me, my experience wont be intacted.
Of course raids, items, and stats, will need some tuning, they also said they haven't tested the raids yet.
11/04/2018 09:29 AMPosted by Landerek
if you watched their panel yesterday you would notice the earliest database they could get their hands on was 1.12, they might not even have the stuff necessary to do true progressive itemization without the older database data. the private servers just made educated guesses on the numbers for items, but i doubt blizzard would feel comfortable doing the same.

That may be true, but there's a lot of info out there. There are some important items that need to be held back (late pvp gear, tier 0.5 gear, expanded 5 man/UBRS boss loot tables). Beta testing can also provide feedback for problematic items. I think it's largely doable and can be done in two stages.

Itemization stage 1 would encompass Stages 1-3 for the released content schedule, basically all of the way through AQ40 patch. Itemization stage 2 would occur when Naxx releases.
they might not even have the stuff necessary to do true progressive itemization

Well that's kind of my point - why gate content if they can't do it properly? It's just going to feel like cheap imitations
11/04/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Xjum

Well that's kind of my point - why gate content if they can't do it properly? It's just going to feel like cheap imitations

Because nobody wants to rush to the last raid tier, it's annoying and stressful.
Even if MC gets cleared in 1 week, I am sure most people will not be able to do it.
Everyone wants to take their time and gating needs to stay to don't confuse anyone on what should be raided, what not, and not feeling to rush.
11/04/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Xjum

It doesn't have to be perfect or exactly like vanilla, but with proper beta testing, the community can identify problematic items to help preserve the first few tiers of raid content. There are items that are very obvious that shouldn't be at launch and items that may get overlooked can get caught in beta testing.
11/04/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Xjum

Might make sense to them so they can stagger development time to make sure everything got ported correctly.

The entire game doesn't have to be 100% next summer..just what they release.
Keep people subbed longer waiting for the next face roll.

They said they had access all the way back to 1.12 and slightly before..