Cross Realm BG's

Classic Discussion
So, the real reason for sharding is ensuring the healthy population base of servers.

Caps, queues, and more servers is obviously not the answer. I say obviously cause we have all seen what happens and know dead servers are an issue, and Blizz doesnt merge.

Sharding (if done right) could be. Most people assume blizz wont do it right tho, so its not really an option. Its also really divisive.

Now in Vanilla i played on a semi low pop server. What would definitely be considered a dead server by less than honest server standards. Raids were cleared, dungeons groups were had. Economy was stable, but PvP rarely happened. Until 1.12. with cross realm BG's.

So that's the question and whole point here, I haven't seen mentioned or talked about much. Cross realm BG's we for or against them?
I don't think it matters what anyone wants, they're just going to do what ever is most cost effective for them.
If it's one realm vs another, sure.
I don't mind battlegroups.

Low pop servers can simply have more of them placed within the 1 battlegroup.

high pop servers may even warrant being 1 server per battlegroup, or 2 servers per battlegroup - to keep the pvp queues consistent, no matter whether you're on a high pop or low pop realm - but it still means that no matter whether you're on the high pop realm, OR the low pop realm, the playerbase you're vs'ing is always the same people, and the same amount of people as those on low pop realms .

Make sense?

I'd be fine with battlegroups if made like this.
Battle groups destroyed pvp community.

No battlegroups.

And no, sharding if done 'right' is still something that reduces the community impact/interaction - significantly.

I'd rather deal with caps, queues, and hours to BG than have fast, convenient feelings of accomplishment - that mean nothing to anyone else.

If you're high warlord, people should know your name on your server. That's less likely, when on a battlegroup. That's just an example.

MMORPGs are not meant to be single player paced games. It's a virtual ecosystem... and ecosystems are built with particular interactions at the bottom, to support the whole. Change the bottom, and you change the top, which means the attraction.

If people could actually change the world narrative, per server, in a unique direction per, that would be ideal. Until such a feature, community is the only other constant that can evolve. If we curb that artificially, the rate of growth (interest) will trend to stagnate more than grow.
For BG's whatever makes the queue times work.
I can see them instituting Battlegroups again if there's just not enough people queueing for BGs, or if the queues for some servers just never pop at all. Ironically, I can see the last being a problem for pvp servers.

We'll have to wait and see.
11/04/2018 08:04 PMPosted by Tormund
Battle groups destroyed pvp community.

No battlegroups.

And no, sharding if done 'right' is still something that reduces the community impact/interaction - significantly.

I'd rather deal with caps, queues, and hours to BG than have fast, convenient feelings of accomplishment - that mean nothing to anyone else.

If you're high warlord, people should know your name on your server. That's less likely, when on a battlegroup. That's just an example.

[/quote]

Gonna Call BS there, maybe it killed the pvp community on some servers, but on most it gave them a pvp community. Also pretty sure the people in your battlegroup will know who the HWL/GM are/will be with how ranking works, and the way people have always tracked it.
i think cross-realm bg's is confirmed by them saying they're going with 1.12 patch as a base and not changing the data. That to me means cross-realm bg's.
11/04/2018 08:10 PMPosted by Afflextion
i think cross-realm bg's is confirmed by them saying they're going with 1.12 patch as a base and not changing the data. That to me means cross-realm bg's.

I agree, just haven't seen it mentioned much. Its also a cross realm feature which means people will either love or hate it.
11/04/2018 07:15 PMPosted by Xjum
I don't think it matters what anyone wants, they're just going to do what ever is most cost effective for them.

Sadly might be true.
Still find it mind boggling how pswrvers on shoe string budget can make it work better than blizzard...
Battlegroups are fine- especially if they wait to add them.
Battlegroups still allow you to recognize your community - nothing is lost - you are supposed to see new faces in war anyways lol.

The only negative I see is premades cant snipe games and trade wins to inflate the honor caps.
Am I the only one who watched the panel?

https://i.imgur.com/DXPC7VU.jpg
11/04/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Ooga
Am I the only one who watched the panel?

https://i.imgur.com/DXPC7VU.jpg

cross-realm grouping and cross-realm BG's would not be classified as one in the same.
I like seeing the same people often in battlegrounds, but if I have to pick that or cross realm BGs with short queues, I'll always pick the short queues. In vanilla, it wasn't uncommon for my server to have 1 hour waits for WSG/AB and 4-5 hour waits for AV.
if its what they said on the panel being as close to classic as possible battlegroups will come back.no pvp cross server like it is now.
11/04/2018 09:04 PMPosted by Thanen
if its what they said on the panel being as close to classic as possible battlegroups will come back.no pvp cross server like it is now.

by no pvp cross server you mean out in the open world right?
No, world pvp will always be there.
If we have any changes maybe it would hopefully be for the king of IF to give more honor when killed :) lol

Battlegroups are groups of multiple realms where only the Battlegrounds are linked. Battle groups are gererally small and used to decrease wait times.
11/04/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Roflstar
No world pvp will always be there.
If we have any changes maybe it would hopefully be for the king of IF to give more honor when killed :) lol

Battlegroups are groups of multiple realms where only the Battlegrounds are linked.

I know what battlegroups are, and battlegroups count as cross server pvp, i was asking for clarification on whether or not by no cross server pvp you meant out in open world or at all. its clear now you meant out in open world.
11/04/2018 09:07 PMPosted by Drazzilb
11/04/2018 09:04 PMPosted by Thanen

by no pvp cross server you mean out in the open world right?

open world for server pvp and for bgs battlegroups thats how they did it back then.