Diablo IMMORAL is Setting a Bad Precedent

General Discussion
So after a couple days the extraordinarily-unpopular Diablo Immortal trailer accumulated over half a million downvotes versus its sub-15k upvotes and widespread criticism of the game from almost all ends of the earth has made its way onto the Internet, and since its upload it's become incredibly obvious that Blizzard is fully aware of the sheer amount of backlash the game has received, whether it be by deleting literal thousands of comments openly criticizing their decision to make this crappy shovelware game or by outright deleting the video's downvotes, tens of thousands at a time. Diablo fans are furious, and rightfully so.

Well, Allen Adham was interviewed about the game and one particular quote of his stood out to me as, well... problematic, to say the least.

"I can say, without getting overly specific, that we have big plans for the mobile space. It’s a big initiative for us across Blizzard, and you can expect to see more mobile titles from us spanning all of our IPs at some point in the future."

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/diablo-immortal-allen-adham-interview/

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Please, no. Stop. You don't know what you're doing. You think you do, but you don't. Make a complete 180, start walking, and never look back at this idea again. Seriously. Scrap this idea. Despite my disdain for WoW in its current state (I've just uninstalled yet again and am letting my subscription lapse yet again, despite resubbing only two weeks ago), I still love this game as a whole. Don't ruin it any further with some crappy mobile game.

Hearthstone, despite its sheer size and popularity, is still at almost EA levels of "pay-to-win," but at least it's a spinoff and is marketed as such. I don't trust you to make any mobile game, whether it be Diablo or WoW or Starcraft or what have you, anything short of some irritating, user-unfriendly freeware. If I wanted a game like that I'd play Pokemon GO over that. All you're doing with these sorts of ventures, if Diablo Immortal is any indication, is alienating your fans to begin with.

A lot of folks like to joke about how this game has devolved into time-gating and a bunch of other tactics you'd see in some free-to-play phone app with a ton of microtransactions, but I don't think any notable number of people unironically wants that to be true. Keep this crap out of WoW. Seriously. Don't butcher another franchise by trying to tap into the Asian mobile gaming market, especially if you're gonna be as tone-deaf to criticism as you are with Diablo Immortal. Or should I say Diablo Immoral?
I would totally play it if it was called Diablo Immoral.

Sorry, but it's the truth.
I'm a Diablo fan and I don't care.

In fact, I'll bet you the vast majority of them don't care.

The crybabies? Yeah, they care.
11/04/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Arryk
the vast majority of them don't care.

Are we seriously doing this "silent majority" thing again when the Diablo forums are nothing but sheer hatred towards the very existence of this phone app and the video got ratio'd so hard that Blizzard is going out of its way to delete the downvotes by the tens of thousands?

I'm pretty sure all evidence at this point is pointing towards the majority, if not a very, very large plurality, of Diablo fans hating everything about this.

Stop sticking your head in the sand and pretending this wasn't a huge, huge misstep on Blizzard's end. It's very obvious at this point that Blizzard messed up.
Of course it is .

Its showing the company is more interested in $$ than creating a game for it players. They just want to tap in the mobile market and milk the franchise .

You had a die hard PC fanbase playing diablo3 since 2012 and you gave emm this ?? . Wow

Deleting constructive criticism is them really not listening to their fan base and doing whatever the hell they want. Which is why their youtube comment section became a mess later on. I am surprised they didn't disable comments :)
If they insist on moblie games, develop original IPs, don’t drag existing IPs with established fan bases into the dirt just to make a quick buck, Diablo immortal is b#ll!@#$, I absolutely wont be playing it, my ONLY interest in this cash grab will at some point reading up on the story it tells once somebody posts it to a wiki or something.
11/04/2018 07:24 PMPosted by Kirela
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/3354739/

1. I don't have a D3 account so I can't post there.
2. General Discussion, baby. That means I can still criticize Blizzard here.
11/04/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Mortis
I would totally play it if it was called Diablo Immoral.

Sorry, but it's the truth.

I know, right? At my house we cheer when the rating comes up on a movie or show and it says "OMG sex and violence and immoral behavior everywhere! Hide your children!"

Although the other day the warning was for "teenage partying" and we were all like "Awww no" because we knew that just meant teenagers holding red cups. We were totally right.
Mobile games are a huge part of the gaming market. Expecting Blizzard to simply ignore such a market is ridiculous. They are a business. Their primary goal is to make money above all else. That doesn't mean they can't create great games, quite the contrary, they make their money by creating great games. Except BFA, this expansion is trash. Only reason I continue to give them money is for the sake of my guild mates, but lately they haven't been logging in either.

So you're telling me that those people who payed money, flied over, booked hotels, payed for food and transport and then booed Blizzard at their own con don't care?

You have people all over youtube, forums and reddit that has played Diablo from day one who isn't happy. Over 500K downvotes on the trailer (some vanished due to blizzard trying to damage control)

I Highly doubt you are a "Diablo fan" if you think that the vast majority of Diablo players don't care.

Yeah, just like back in WoD when the vast majority of the player base was OK with no flying....
Feelsbadman
I wonder how many of these "true gamers" are in the closet mobile game players?

Mobile gaming is a huge market and not just in China.

It won't stop PC games from being made; we'll have both.
I wouldn't mind mobile games if other, real games were coming out in the same IP.

The absolute worst part of the Diablo Immortal announcement is there was NOTHING else to go with it, they brought all this hype to their convention, it was the first announcement leading off the convention, for a gaming franchise that hasn't had an new game in 4 years now, and whose future was/is in a very questionable area right now, and they announce a crappy mobile game and NOTHING else.

It'd be like if they did a Starcraft panel, announced a crappy Clash of Clans ripoff Starcraft game, and then told everyone who was expecting an actual starcraft game to get boned.
11/04/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Hotgrill
Mobile games are a huge part of the gaming market. Expecting Blizzard to simply ignore such a market is ridiculous. They are a business. Their primary goal is to make money above all else. That doesn't mean they can't create great games, quite the contrary, they make their money by creating great games. Except BFA, this expansion is trash. Only reason I continue to give them money is for the sake of my guild mates, but lately they haven't been logging in either.

"Primary goal is to make money above all else" And in there lies the problem. Not one time in your reply did you mention the community that has brought blizzard to where it is now. How do you expect a company to continue to make money when less and less people are playing their games and buying their games due to lack of communication with their community? I'm not saying they should not have done the mobile game but to only bring a mobile game to the stage after 6 years is a little frustrating.
11/04/2018 07:21 PMPosted by Dreadfury
the vast majority of them don't care.

Are we seriously doing this "silent majority" thing again when the Diablo forums are nothing but sheer hatred towards the very existence of this phone app and the video got ratio'd so hard that Blizzard is going out of its way to delete the downvotes by the tens of thousands?

I'm pretty sure all evidence at this point is pointing towards the majority, if not a very, very large plurality, of Diablo fans hating everything about this.

Stop sticking your head in the sand and pretending this wasn't a huge, huge misstep on Blizzard's end. It's very obvious at this point that Blizzard messed up.

What evidence? People on these forums and a single video that is easy to jack up the dislikes on?

That's the hill you're dying on? Youtube dislikes?

And I mean, assuming that's the case...Diablo 3 has sold millions of copies across multiple formats and expansions. Even if we accept the highest number of dislikes as being legitimate, to get to a plurality you'd need millions.

You find me millions of people hating on this, millions that I can prove legitimately are, and then I'll believe it.

But you won't.
I too am a Diablo fan, from its beginnings upon our arrival in Tristram. Tough luck it’s not the game you guys wanted. I don’t mind it at all, I for one can’t wait to try it out. I still play hearthstone every week, the more I can play Blizzard titles on-the-go the better!

Look at it this way, it may bring new blood to the Diablo franchise, as hearthstone did for WoW. More interest could lead to a new (PC) Diablo title.
All you guys thought WoW was coming to console, we are skipping console and heading straight to phones.
I don't have a hatred against mobile games just because their mobile(though to be honest, it's just not my preferable gaming device like your xbox 360 or ps2 or pc, considering the cons outweighing the pros for me, one glaring one being no controller to speak of and so little mobile games support that, let alone what kind of phone does), i see the potential in them, they can be great, like your Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope, and Steppy pants and what have you, and even some of the old ports made it to phones been surprisingly decent, Like Plants vs Zombies, Burger Shop, and even GTA 3-sa.

Diablo Immortal however, i mean, don't get me wrong, it's just Diablo 3 made fit into a Phone, with simpler systems and hyped to high hell cause the cinematic team can make a 5 million dollar 25 second cinematic of remaking the intro of Beavis and Butthead and it still be considered perfect amongst the blizzard fans. But cynicism and sarcasm aside, maybe it will turn out to be a good game, or at least a decent passable one.

Now Microtransactions, Mobile or not, has no place in premium priced games, period. I don't care even if Rockstar Games made Red Dead Redemption 2 and it was absolute perfect in everything. If i had to pay any equal or any higher then a penny and that game has Microtransacations, that would greatly negatively effect my experience, optional or not, that a literal whale can spend it to have a great time cause he has money while i just have to grind my butt off to start having a good time. It's one of the reasons why i stopped playing GTA online, it's just terrible with that crap in there. What i want is a game to have value, and simply putting the microtransactions just takes away from the value i spent to get the game. If it's free, then it would be different cause my entry fee is nothing, but even then if i need to spend money to start having a good time where instead of having a good time from the start and only using the microtransactions to enhance my good time, it's not a great thing. And cosmetics in my opinion are just as important as tangible advantages.

But going back to Diablo Immortal, outside of microtransactions (which is already reason number 2), i won't be getting the game cause the franchise isn't interesting to me in the first place, even though Warcraft does borrow those elements. If it's on PC, it wouldn't really make too big of a difference to me considering i don't like "moba" style games anyways either since i'm more of a left third of the keyboard and mouse guy.

I apologize if i come off too positive in this situation, it's just i'm more or less ambivalent, while at the same time, indifferent to it, and just looking at the game at it's own merits.