Feral - Utility Identity

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
The changes for feral in 8.1 are so far very nice. They are much appreciated.

However, I hope the discussion on feral can continue. Ferals suffer, as do many other specs, from utility identity.
What I mean is, the utility they bring is either better covered by other specs or just not useful. Feral has both.

Our significant utility in Bres and typhoon is covered much better by our other dps spec- balance - who brings Innervate and treants on top of it.
Feral brings stampeeding roar, a group movement speed. This is really lackluster, it's nice, but isn't anything significant.

So what could help? Well, we see leader of the pack making a return, but as a PvP talent. We could maybe get that baseline, and leave the healing aspect as a PvP talent. Feral Farie Fire could make a return (add a different modifier to it). Nature's vigil? Even simply giving feral Innervate baseline.

Feral isn't in a terrible spot, and really should be better off come 8.1. However, the perception of "I wish they were balance" will continue to thrive unless our numbers are just tuned high, or we can bring identity to the group.
Please don't close the book on feral just yet.
11/09/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Strongbad
The changes for feral in 8.1 are so far very nice. They are much appreciated.

However, I hope the discussion on feral can continue. Ferals suffer, as do many other specs, from utility identity.
What I mean is, the utility they bring is either better covered by other specs or just not useful. Feral has both.

Our significant utility in Bres and typhoon is covered much better by our other dps spec- balance - who brings Innervate and treants on top of it.
Feral brings stampeeding roar, a group movement speed. This is really lackluster, it's nice, but isn't anything significant.

So what could help? Well, we see leader of the pack making a return, but as a PvP talent. We could maybe get that baseline, and leave the healing aspect as a PvP talent. Feral Farie Fire could make a return (add a different modifier to it). Nature's vigil? Even simply giving feral Innervate baseline.

Feral isn't in a terrible spot, and really should be better off come 8.1. However, the perception of "I wish they were balance" will continue to thrive unless our numbers are just tuned high, or we can bring identity to the group.
Please don't close the book on feral just yet.

I've been saying this for MONTHS. There's literally nothing that Feral brings to the table that other specs don't do better.

Give me ONE reason to play Feral over Balance outside of "Oh I like being a cat". There is none. Balance has all the Utility that Feral does, and more, minus the danger of being melee.

As long as numbers are tuned relatively close, Feral will never have a place unless it can differentiate itself from balance!
I don't really compare feral to balance due to the range/melee difference i look at it more as why wold you bring a feral over a similar type like rogue which is still don't see a reason since rogue damage is very good and they have the ability to completely negate mechanics. plus a cheat death to also help with there cloak so many way to negate mechanics males them the go to dps. Feral should have the cheat death and rogues can keep there cloak i mean cats have nine lives right. or they could just give druids an ability like what we had when fight Deathwing the one Ysera gave us when we take a hit that would kill us you phase into the dream for a short period of time to negate all damage taken. though this would be a druid ability not really a feral thing.

If i was at Blizzcon totally would have been my question at the Q&A.

Ask the developers what would e ethe reason to bring a feral into any raid or dungeon over another spec discounting brez cause that's covered by so many now.
11/09/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Martei
I don't really compare feral to balance due to the range/melee difference i look at it more as why wold you bring a feral over a similar type like rogue which is still don't see a reason since rogue damage is very good and they have the ability to completely negate mechanics. plus a cheat death to also help with there cloak so many way to negate mechanics males them the go to dps. Feral should have the cheat death and rogues can keep there cloak i mean cats have nine lives right. or they could just give druids an ability like what we had when fight Deathwing the one Ysera gave us when we take a hit that would kill us you phase into the dream for a short period of time to negate all damage taken. though this would be a druid ability not really a feral thing.

If i was at Blizzcon totally would have been my question at the Q&A.

Ask the developers what would e ethe reason to bring a feral into any raid or dungeon over another spec discounting brez cause that's covered by so many now.

Yes, rogue is obviously our closest counter part. They bring far more unique utility than feral does. Shroud, lockpick, mechanic soaks, their kidney shot even increase damage done to Target while our maim doesn't.

I only didn't mention the rogue comparison because it's so drasticly different on comparison. It'll be a pure dream to see the day a feral even comes close to a rogue in group desire.
Stop whining about feral and reroll rogue u noober
I think the problem is more that the utility spread is heavily skewed towards a couple classes / specs, and the others are left in the dust.
11/10/2018 07:37 AMPosted by Zubzug
Stop whining about feral and reroll rogue u noober

Point exactly lol. Problem is, this will most likely be the result. Rogues already being geared up and the swap will happen depending on how 8.1 feels :/
Utility is a joke word for "we give up" at the Blizzard design meetings.

"Hey, so what does this class bring to the table? Great play style? Cleave?"

"Dunno, can't think after all this free beer at lunch, let's give it Utility!"
11/10/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Aynrand
Utility is a joke word for "we give up" at the Blizzard design meetings.

"Hey, so what does this class bring to the table? Great play style? Cleave?"

"Dunno, can't think after all this free beer at lunch, let's give it Utility!"

Idk what this means?