Rep Gated, Achieve Gated, Gated, Gated, Gated, Gated, Gated, Gated, Gated

General Discussion
11/09/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Winehøuse
In order to fly in the past 3 expansions zones you've got to be obsessed with doing every quest and farming every achievement.

No, you don't.

11/09/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Winehøuse
In order to play new classes you have to be obsessed with farming reps and achievements.

No class in this game is locked behind reputations or achievements.

It's really quite simple -- if you want something in-game, you do what's necessary to obtain it. If it's not worth doing in your opinion, then you don't have to do it.

This is really very binary.
Sometimes, not often, I just dont know what to say to someone.

Like, I get that you're frustrated.. but I also know there's reasons for time gates and the rng and pathfinder and all that too. I could try to explain it, but that doesn't help your immediate frustrated state. It'd just exacerbate it.

Edit: Op deleted their op.
In order to play new classes you have to be obsessed with farming reps and achievements.

False, no class is locked behind any achievements.
In order to finish the War Campaign you have to endlessly farm stupid, boring world quests for weeks to get exalted with the Honorbound

False, it takes revered, which is easily done by doing the main war campaign and a few Honorbound emissary days.
then you have to be exalted with zandalari trolls to get the new race.

If someone isn't exalted with the Zandalari by the time 8.1 releases, they just haven't been playing the game at all.

I've avoided any kind of dedicated rep farming and I am approaching exalted with all factions, except Zandalari which has been exalted for months.

I'm not saying it is a good system, but you are more wrong than right, and it really isn't that bad unless you suffer from compulsive mount collecting needs or perfectionist rep obsessions.
11/09/2018 03:00 PMPosted by Snowfox
It'd just exacerbate it.

I was taught this was something to be ashamed about, when I was a kid.

: )
Can we have topic starting gates?
11/09/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Jamalia
11/09/2018 03:00 PMPosted by Snowfox
It'd just exacerbate it.

Well some say I'm a master at exacerbating things, so who am I to argue?
Think we've all been there, OP, some of us more than others.

Just realize that allowing immediate access to those things you want will make this game feel more "finished" faster, so they put these blocks in place to slow it down as much as they can, which in return helps them for players who go slow and enjoy the process and feel accomplished by the end of it, although that is questionable if it's true
Hey guys, remember how you couldn't really progress in Molten Core until a decent % of your 40 man raid was kitted out in FR gear? That you had to farm tons of ore and corehounds for?

Yea... gating is such a new thing.
11/09/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Snikrot
Hey guys, remember how you couldn't really progress in Molten Core until a decent % of your 40 man raid was kitted out in FR gear? That you had to farm tons of ore and corehounds for?

Nah. Vanilla was perfect and gating didn't exist until BFA.

You forgot Hydraxian Waterlord rep too in order to buy the Aqua Quintessences to deactivate the fire runes that trigger Executus.

What?

That's as crazy as saying people had to farm up crazy amounts of NR gear to do AQ40, even going so far as to go back to maraudon to get enough for certain fights like Huhuran!
FTP garbage in a paid game.

And we put up with it.

Classic had a ton of gating. The old Devs realized how bad that was, so changed it from BC to MOP so the game was very open. Activision took over and did not learn the lesson, which is why the game has dropped from 14 million players to what it is now around 3.5 million. Heck funny thing is, FF14 now is in the 14 million player group, and does not gate.
11/09/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Cirenavi

Classic had a ton of gating. The old Devs realized how bad that was, so changed it from BC to MOP so the game was very open. Activision took over and did not learn the lesson, which is why the game has dropped from 14 million players to what it is now around 3.5 million. Heck funny thing is, FF14 now is in the 14 million player group, and does not gate.

Yea... not like BC had some crazy attunement process for BT or no catch up mechanics other than some mediocre epics that you had to be exalted with certain reputations for.

Not like WotLK also had no catch up mechanics other than exalted with certain reputations of earning 15 argent tournament badges a day to get weapons or relying on RNG dungeon luck and if you had no luck gradually earning them valor tokens to get some low level epics. Nah, no gating at all happening in BC and WotLK.
11/09/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Cirenavi
Did not say that, some gating yes but more open for options in order to play through it. From WOD on every single part of game play is gated.

Yea... not like BC had some crazy attunement process for BT or no catch up mechanics other than some mediocre epics that you had to be exalted with certain reputations for.

Not like WotLK also had no catch up mechanics other than exalted with certain reputations of earning 15 argent tournament badges a day to get weapons or relying on RNG dungeon luck and if you had no luck gradually earning them valor tokens to get some low level epics. Nah, no gating at all happening in BC and WotLK.
11/09/2018 03:13 PMPosted by Snowfox
11/09/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Jamalia

Well some say I'm a master at exacerbating things, so who am I to argue?

If you argue and win, not only are you a master exacerbater but also a master debater

d8)
11/09/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Nokten
If you argue and win, not only are you a master exacerbater but also a master debater

Winning is a three-sided coin.
I dont really see the fuzz with the "gated" problem that many people has.

I mean, there's problems with time-gate but those problem arent the ones that most people is complaining about. Some arguments are just stupid, like the ones claiming that new races needs to be unlocked behind a reputation grind and a scenario. I mean.... do you even enjoy playing World of Warcraft? Because reputations are an important part of it, the factions and your state with them to unlock things it's important. Nowadays going into Legion, do the quests in every map and get to exalted with all the factions are not gonna take you more than 2 days. A few Emmisaries and maybe some WQ you will be done and you have enjoyed a little bit more of the WORLD of the game.

The next kind of absurd complains are gonna be like:
- Max level content in level-gated.
- Queue for Heroic dungeons is ilvl-gated.
- Queue for LFR is ilvl-gated.
- WQ's are rep-gated.
- Leveling is quest-gated.
- Guilds are Recruitment-officer-gated.
- Progression is skill-gated.

What's next? The future is time-gated?

I have problems about gating content, but not because I need to do something to get a rewards. I have problems with things I CANNOT DO to get what I want. Im talking about leveling the Hearth of Azeroth. Besides the Weekly Quest to get 2.5k AP and kills in Raids, there's not very much to do to get AP because getting 250 in a WQ or in IE's it's very little when you need 40k to the next level.

That's the time-gating that's worth to have a conversation about.

Some casuals not wanting to do some questlines to unlock an allied race? Not so much.