Mounts Doing More

General Discussion
I was thinking about this as something that would be interesting to add to the game to give it more 'flavor' if you will, mounts doing more.

What do i mean? Well flying mounts fly and seahorses swim and waterstriders walk on water.. thats the extent of it.

What about rams giving temporary speed increases when going uphill?

Tigers decreasing fall damage taken while mounted?

Fire mounts interacting with the ground around them like when in an area that has snow, melting the snow around them.

Not that this will ever go anywhere but i thought i would bring it up to the community and see what you thought as well as what other ideas you may have?
I wish the spider mount could walk on walls. Now that would be worth 2 million gold!

Imagine walking into Ironforge and just seeing the walls crawling with giant spiders. :)
11/11/2018 02:10 PMPosted by Asana
I wish the spider mount could walk on walls. Now that would be worth 2 million gold!

Imagine walking into Ironforge and just seeing the walls crawling with giant spiders. :)

i'd flip tbh, i hate spiders and they scare me
There are already mounts with vendors, repairs and xmog - we could get a pack mule with like 10 bag slots for extra storage. Or a Fiona’s caravan that’s a portable resting area.
I was talking with some people about something like this too, including the cat mounts reducing fall damage, kodos having immunity to dazing, birds falling with glide, etc. they could be grouped like hunter pets, each having their own set of traits.

I can't see Blizzard entertaining anything like this though, sadly, but it's a fun subject to talk about and get creative with
Flying mounts should glide to the ground rather than falling like morons.
Take a cue from GW2 and you could easily work in mounts that jump long distances and ones that jump very high in the air

easy extrapolations of those could be mounts with limited gliding or slow falling. Mounts that can run on water but for short distances (thus keeping the strider as a special thing for fisherman if that's the reason there aren't more of this type of mount).

Mount equipment is something Vanguard did. Pretty interesting, saddles that made it harder to be dazed, shoes for things like boosting speed, saddlebags for extra storage.

I agree with Swiftraven that it's unlikely that Blizz would do anything like this, but I think it would be an amazing thing to be added to the game. Make mounts more than a collection.
I was watching the falling animation of my proto drake last night when I jumped off a ledge in Kul'Tiras... I agree, flying mounts, or at the very least, ones with wings, should act as a slowfall.
I like this idea. A ceiling full of spiders would startle the piss out of me, but it would be cool.
11/11/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Sarkli
Fire mounts interacting with the ground around them like when in an area that has snow, melting the snow around them.

I fully support this and everything else! As a fire mage, I only use fiery mounts and would love to have an effect like this.
Wow great read, fun thought on how to add to mounts. DO IT BLIZZ
Cat mounts scared of water :)

I still think that the starter motorbike + sidecar should have been a horse which you hopped on the back of. I understand that would be a hassle for big races like Tauren though. Maybe racial mounts instead?

Being able to carry a second player is a really handy feature though, I like my X53 rocket for that very reason.
11/11/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Jyu
There are already mounts with vendors, repairs and xmog - we could get a pack mule with like 10 bag slots for extra storage. Or a Fiona’s caravan that’s a portable resting area.

I was really hoping they would eventually add the wagon pulled by two llamas (or alpacas, can’t remember which) from the questline in Voldun.
TBH the fact that there's only 1 type of mount that walks on water is pretty sad. Unless I were a priest I don't get the ability to walk on water easily. I'm then stuck with 2 mount buttons, 1 for flying mounts (for if i go to old content) and 1 for water strider at all times. It doesn't then matter that I have a hundred other mounts that I'll never touch because they can't A: fly or B: walk on water. It's just going to get worse when flying transfers to BFA too because then I'll have no reason to ever use a land mount. Worst part is that I love the appearance of a lot of the ground mounts, but there's just no reason to use them anymore.

Ideally if there were some type of enchant or something that we could get or unlock that can make our ground mounts fly and water walking that would be awesome. or an achievement you could unlock, or even some kind of item in your inventory that grants it. I'm talking about a passive solution (not a potion or expendable) that would allow us to use whatever mounts whenever instead of having to ignore so many cool things just because they're not flying/water walking.
Putting in my standard plug here for a Deathwing Druid flight form that carries an entire 40 man raid team and comes complete with functional pyrotechnics.

FOR THE HORDE!
Some games change mount speed based on where you are riding. 100% of speed on rads, 90% on flat level terrain, and so on. Make mounts more or less affected by that. Horses are the fastest, but only on roads and flat terrain, and they wont go over cliffs (anything that forces them to fall) or unsure footing, and won't climb as steep of a grade.

Sort of like, horses are easily the best/fastest mount, but only if you are on a road, that advantage quickly disappears off road, until they become a disadvantage in really bad terrain/conditions.

Bears aren't as fast, but are slowed less by snow and ice, and if you have one of those polar bear mounts from Northrend, not slowed at all in snow/ice conditions, they are as fast on ice as they are on flat dry ground.

Cats are slower than horses on roads, but climb steeper grades , and are as fast off road (or cats are only 90% speed of horses but unaffected by off-road), and faster over bad/uneven/forested terrain (i.e. the preferred mount in, say, forests where Nelfs live... explaining why Nelfs like them), spiders even more so... only, say 75-80% as fast but will climb a 60 degree grade.

Rams are as fast off road, and will climb hills better.. and better in cold (hence, why Dwarves like them). Kodos are less effected by weight, and have a higher carrying capacity (bigger saddle bags). Wolves are like cats, except better for terrain Orcs frequent.... and so on...

And, I really like the idea that flying mounts will glide when they cant fly. With DH glide ability and goblin gliders already there, it's not like it would be game breaking.
11/11/2018 02:10 PMPosted by Asana

I wanted the spider to web wrap anything that attacked it, keeping you from getting dismounted. Add this, and the wall walking, and I might buy one.
I'd be happy with a ship that floats.
Humm a fun and interesting suggestion ?

Nop! Won't happen. Blizzard/Activision won't allow fun things to happen anymore.
11/11/2018 02:32 PMPosted by Maelfarion
Flying mounts should glide to the ground rather than falling like morons.

Beat me to it. Agreed, flying mounts should not fall to their death just because you jumped off a cliff and don't have Pathfinder.