If Things go South on Tuesday, I'll Say My Goodbyes Here (RE New Forums)

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 14 Next
11/11/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Swiftraven
11/11/2018 11:55 PMPosted by Pointyends
How i see the Overwatch version of the WoW GD forums going:

Poster 1: No i love you all

Posters 2: No we Love you so much

Poster 3: Arent kittens fuzzy and wonderful!

Poster 3:I love Bunnies there so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute.

Me: I would like to see a real death match between kittens and bunnies....*banned*

sad truth lol

RIP threads that have any sort of humour

Not to mention the heavily edited, moderated and deleted threads... like any that oppose changes that blizzard are making.

The safety bubble is nearly complete~
11/11/2018 11:59 PMPosted by Clasmenethil
Pretty much.

Well it also dosent help that from what I heard the new fourms can if you get suspended on fourms it will happen in game and you wont get to play for however long your suspension is...

And if you got unlucky to get banned from fourms your Wow account will likely get deleted or shut down for months and you loose out on time you paid for. Basically a one way ticket to quiting Wow forever...

yeah this is my primary concern, if i get an in-game suspension for making an innocent joke on the forums that's the last straw for me

there's better things i can be spending my freetime on
11/11/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Snowfox
Oh true, I probably won't.

.. but I'll remember the story - how in the thread discussing the new forums, people were defending being rude and calling names.. while others discussed censorship.. and so how ultimately, the moderation had to happen.

That I'll remember.
Ah, the "shareholder" troll gimmick. Tonight you have the giddy, euphoric pride that both greece and rome had moments before they fell. you're a lot like blizzard in that respect and doing so many sweeping changes, people always put on grand gestures before ruin.

Let's hope you can stay in those good graces you seem to take for granted for a while. Would be terrible for you to get "moderated" like all the little people you disdain here. Of course not though, all kings rule forever, right?

11/12/2018 12:03 AMPosted by Cuddlestime
Not to mention the heavily edited, moderated and deleted threads... like any that oppose changes that blizzard are making.

The safety bubble is nearly complete~
To paraphrase Chesterton, "evolution is the enemy of revolution." They are trying to "evolve" beyond you so that you cannot revolt. I hope you prove them wrong.
11/12/2018 12:03 AMPosted by Swiftraven
Pretty much.

Well it also dosent help that from what I heard the new fourms can if you get suspended on fourms it will happen in game and you wont get to play for however long your suspension is...

And if you got unlucky to get banned from fourms your Wow account will likely get deleted or shut down for months and you loose out on time you paid for. Basically a one way ticket to quiting Wow forever...

yeah this is my primary concern, if i get an in-game suspension for making an innocent joke on the forums that's the last straw for me

Would 100% be the last straw for me. I get banned from the forums for stupid stuff.
Honestly, if it posts on battle.net account, I will probably stop posting. They know we don't want our Real ID names posted, and the same, at least for me, goes for my battletag/account name. Especially since I use my account name on other sites and it's easy enough to find me with my account name on other sites. I use the same name but radically different passwords.

But I too am worried about this new system. It seems like it's a way to police people that post things that Blizzard doesn't agree with.

"Oh, you posted a complaint and riled up the forum? Well, you lost some posting privileges!" "Oh, you re-ignited a conversation from a while ago, even though you followed the rules, WELL, LOOKS LIKE YOU LOSE SOME PRIVILEGES!" "Hmm. I disagree with this post. It doesn't LOOK serious. It can't really BE serious. Can it? It HAS to be a troll, right? Well, I guess I have to take trust points."

The last one fits like 50% of the posts I make. A lot of people think I'm trolling with my posts, but I'm completely serious with the things I post. And for every person that hates my posts, I have quite a few people who encourage me to keep posting. I get messages in game telling me that they love seeing my posts, and I have people randomly stop when they run past me and just talk about things I posted.

These new forum guidelines worry me. If the trust system is simply going to punish people who would already get punished in the current system, then that's fine. I've never once gotten in trouble on the forums. I follow the terms of use, and apart from a few random words that get edited out of my posts for supposedly being vulgar (when they arent?), I've never been actioned.

But if they're going to start punishing people who actively contribute to the community in their own way with satirical posts, discussion threads about things they DON'T like about the game, or threads that LOOK like troll threads, but are threads that are meant to be something people can just joke around in that pop up occasionally, then they need to re-evaluate this.

And in-game bans for forum bans DEFINITELY should not be a thing. I have never had a forum ban, but even I think that is a ridiculous notion.

Also, dictating "how often" someone can post does not help the community. What if someone asks a question I can answer, but OOPS, I can't answer because I've already used up all my posts for the day? Not to mention, I'd be less inclined to answer a question that's easily googled, which discourages me from helping new players on the forum?

And as the OP said, there's times where I'm extremely helpful. But there's also times I'm extremely sarcastic. Why should I be punished for being sarcastic?

11/11/2018 10:02 PMPosted by Averyx
11/11/2018 09:58 PMPosted by Neimh
Will be f'ing glorious to see people not able to hide behind level 1 alt profiles.

I mean, if all we see is a person's battle.tag is not like that matters. Unless you have them added to the b.tag you can't know their main characters anyway and if you have them added, they are probably your friends.

You can spam request someone. I've had it happen before. I had to remove my battletag from the forums because someone would not stop spam requesting me. Blocking works, but that only works so far when they make dummy accounts to spam it.
11/11/2018 11:55 PMPosted by Pointyends
How i see the Overwatch version of the WoW GD forums going:

Poster 1: No i love you all

Posters 2: No we Love you so much

Poster 3: Arent kittens fuzzy and wonderful!

Poster 3:I love Bunnies there so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute.

Me: I would like to see a real death match between kittens and bunnies....*banned*

More likely it'll devolve into.

Poster 1: "I support X faction."

Poster 2: "Well I support Y faction."

Poster 1: Gets friends to all report Poster 2.

Poster 2: Gets friends to all report Poster 1.

Poster 1 and Poster 2: Get banned due to automated systems.

Replace the X and Y faction with any sort of opinion where one side is Alliance and the other is Horde. Doesn't really matter whether A or H, both sides hate one another so much these days... Look how many threads already start with a simple complaint and end up the two factions screaming at one another about entitlement and/or crying. Abuse of the report system will follow, swiftly.
11/11/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
*presses F to pay respects*

Will you be around for us still bluespacecow??
11/12/2018 12:03 AMPosted by Swiftraven
Pretty much.

I don't want Swiftraven and his gnome eating Shenangins to go away. Please Blizzard. Don't kill the fun on these forums!
Who really cares? The forums are a cesspool. Even the most garbage, lowest effort troll posts get upvotes. There's even a meme that trolls people about being trolls.
11/12/2018 01:48 AMPosted by Jooky
Who really cares? The forums are a cesspool. Even the most garbage, lowest effort troll posts get upvotes. There's even a meme that trolls people about being trolls.

It's like.. The Predator seeds worlds with Xenomorphs.. and then the Predators fight and evolve to become stronger predators. The thing is though, the Xenomorphs are evolving at the same time - become smarter, deadlier, and learning the ways of the Predator. The irony is the Predators know that too.. and it helps make the Predators stronger too. Then there's us, the humans. We're screwed.
11/11/2018 10:09 PMPosted by Clasmenethil
Wait what their replacing the fourms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why current forums are fine we I dont want ours to mirror overwatch ours is unqiue.

Imo I think ours are perfectly fine the way they are. If I wanted to link videos and memes I'd be using MMO champ. This forum has a more personal feel to it and I like how people feel relaxed here in general, and the character based posting where you can check peoples mogs, have a giggle at their guildname/toon name, see what faction they are and all that jazz.

Trolls have always been part of the ecosystem but thats no reason to upend the entire thing.
See that up there? That's they sky falling.

Seriously though, I am sure people will be able to figure out a way to make the new version a complete !@#$ fest like this one.
Thanks OP for pretty much expressing how I feel about the whole thing myself. I am in the "Expect the worst, hope for the best" camp on this whole change atm. It feels like the end of an era or something (maybe I'm being overly dramatic).

I've loved and hated these forums at different times, heck sometimes at the same time. Bunch of stupid arguments. Times when I would be a worse version of me and then a more helpful version. I trolled, I laughed and all sorts of other emotions. It's strange to think that I came here several years ago to complain about something and then stayed because of the strangeness to be found.

Iv'e come to like it here.
You can always use Reddit
11/11/2018 11:31 PMPosted by Snowfox
11/11/2018 11:29 PMPosted by Azivalla
Good god some of you are a bloody miracle you can survive outside.

Wait... I could possibly survive outside?

Imma have to try that.

we can try to survive outside with Diablo Immortal!
you wake up and suddenly.... you actually have to post something of substance.

This is something that once again CMs should be communicating about but once again they fail at even the most basic part of their job.
This is pretty much how I feel. I'm going to wait and see what happens. I'm just hoping that flagging system won't be abused.

It might be awhile until I post on the new forums, though I consider myself pretty casual when it comes to posting.
I'm sure the new forums will be imperfect, as these have been imperfect.
I'm also sure that most of the problems will be the typical ones that come with (relatively) anonymous online forums: people being rude and saying things they likely wouldn't if we actually knew each other and were meeting in person. Many studies have shown that anonymous online forums can bring out the worst in people. Good people could go into almost any forum format and find ways to make the best of it. People who choose to be unhappy and to vent/project their frustrations onto others will find ways to do so regardless of format. Forums, like life, are what you make of them.
11/12/2018 12:11 AMPosted by Maizou
Also, dictating "how often" someone can post does not help the community

This should not be a thing.

Yes there's limit for those on Trust level 0 from creating threads and replying.

But Trust Level 0 is extremely easy to upgrade oneself above. Once you are at Trust level 1 and above your post limit is unlimited.

11/12/2018 01:38 AMPosted by Elae
11/11/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
*presses F to pay respects*

I'm not going anywhere.
11/12/2018 02:55 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
11/12/2018 12:11 AMPosted by Maizou
Also, dictating "how often" someone can post does not help the community

This should not be a thing.

Yes there's limit for those on Trust level 0 from creating threads and replying.

But Trust Level 0 is extremely easy to upgrade oneself above. Once you are at Trust level 1 and above your post limit is unlimited.

11/12/2018 01:38 AMPosted by Elae

I'm not going anywhere.

Oh if this is the case then that should be a problem at all. Still I do worry about how the new formatting system looks. Will we be able to post on alts?