@L27, Void pet not much of a tank?

Warlock
I soloed a lock to L110 about 4 years ago. Leveling up I relied on my Void pet to do the tanking for me while I administered the damage. Well, I decided a few weeks ago to return to the game and started a new Afflic. lock who is now L27. What I notice is that the void pet takes a LOT of damage each fight requiring healing or sometimes a new pet before going on to the next mob. I don't remember what HPs my L110 lock's void had back in the day, but today it's 70% both for my L110 and my new L27 .

It has been a number of years since I have played, and I can barely remember what I had for breakfast today never mind 4 years ago, but it seems to me that I didn't have to worry a lot about the pet's health during single mob battles. I remember when a quest required an item guarded by several mobs sending the pet in to aggro the mobs giving me time to loot the required item and run out of harms way. The void pet back then was considered a warrior in terms of armor and durability. Of course, the devs have no doubt wielded the nerf wand throughout the game over the time I have been absent.

I only play solo questing, not interested in groups at all. Does the Void pet become a tanking pet at some point? And if so, when?

Thanks for your replies.....
11/12/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Scruffies
Does the Void pet become a tanking pet at some point?

/laugh

BFA took the VW behind the shed and ambushed it with a gang of thugs and beat it with bats.

ST it "can" hold threat (for a bit anyways..if stuff takes awhile to die...well get ready to kite)

its in a bad situation atm....its ALSO losing energy generation (atm its 2x faster than intended but ptr fixed the bug)
Alas poor void walker...

[health funnel]

long were the days I would watch you

[health funnel]

stand firm even as I ate a chicken

[health funnel]

and cast shadowbolt;

[health funnel]

those days are gone and part

[health funnel]

of my rotation now

[health funnel]

is you.
can only speak about levels 110-120. but from 110-120 it is noticeably weak. that continues up until your ilvl hits about 335 or so, since mobs scale with your ilvl for a while. once your ilvl hits ~340, it moves up from frustratingly bad to mediocre.

some tips-

1. its often better to just let it die and summon another one vs health funneling it.

2. it does an aoe that pulls neutral mobs. maybe not an issue everywhere, but esp at 120 there are lots of neutral mobs, so sometimes its worth just turning this off. this is less of an issue, but it can also pull critters, which if it doesn't kill them and you don't notice can get you stuck in combat.
Well....it gives health funnel a purpose.
With soul leech, expect the amount of damage pumped out to also contribute to the void walkers ability to take damage.

Also, as ridiculous it might seem, for levelling try juggling between health funnel and life drain.

From what I've experienced in BFA levelling, anywhere between 3-4 mobs should be a sufficient load for the VW to take, as long as you seed and apply agony and siphon life only.

If you find yourself in a position where an unexpected aggro pull happens, throw in phantom Singularity into the mix of above spells, try to burn down one quickly and resummon a VW before the current one dies.
11/12/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Yindar
can only speak about levels 110-120. but from 110-120 it is noticeably weak. that continues up until your ilvl hits about 335 or so, since mobs scale with your ilvl for a while. once your ilvl hits ~340, it moves up from frustratingly bad to mediocre.

some tips-

1. its often better to just let it die and summon another one vs health funneling it.

2. it does an aoe that pulls neutral mobs. maybe not an issue everywhere, but esp at 120 there are lots of neutral mobs, so sometimes its worth just turning this off. this is less of an issue, but it can also pull critters, which if it doesn't kill them and you don't notice can get you stuck in combat.

yes that's good advice. i read about it on the ptr forums for the expansion and turned it off as soon as i read about it. my leveling partner hates my blueberry though. :(
People being helpful.... Not mentioning that it was impossible to reach 110 4 years ago..... Highmaul was the thing 4 years ago (might have still been in mop)
11/12/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Ariarequiem
People being helpful.... Not mentioning that it was impossible to reach 110 4 years ago..... Highmaul was the thing 4 years ago (might have still been in mop)

Yeah... hell, it might have been 3 years ago. Not exactly sure when I leveled to 110, but it's been a while. When I hit 110 I left the game.

Point is: didn't used to have to worry a lot about the void pet and now I do (funnel, and making new pets often). It's doable, but not as much fun as it used to be IMO, not sure if I want to go thru it all again with the gimped pet. I could just take my L110 lock and L110 Deathknight to the new cap of 120, and then probably leave the game as I did at L110. I dunno.

Thanks for all the replies....